Describe your impressions of the alpha as if it were a meal

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
thekev506

Describe your impressions of the alpha as if it were a meal

Post by thekev506 »

Because I can't face actually hearing about the game properly, seeing as I'm not going to get to play until September at this rate :(
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

Terminal Boy

Re: Describe your impressions of the alpha as if it were a m

Post by Terminal Boy »

At the moment, A3 is a dish not yet tasted to me.

It could be a gourmet meal or it could be a petrol station sandwich...

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

The editor is a gourmet meal for sure. Will hopefully simplify stuff for a lot of wanna-be mission-makers! Lots of nice stuff in there, an easy to access functions library with tons of new stuff.
But, that's just the dessert. The whole movement feeling is really good (although the stance system might take some time to learn), the sounds are medium I'd say (some are good, some less), the grenade system is way better. The game is probably beautiful, but I'll wait for my next GPU to tell you about that, cause right now I'm on medium. The MH-9 got glue under the skids.

Good news, though, if you run Arma 2 in a medium way, I think you can run the Three, albeit it might be in low or medium.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

For me the experience has been kind of like going from eating at a joint to eating at a proper restaurant, without changing menu prices.

So far though, I can't say this will apply to all proper restaurants (which really is to say that we haven't tested larger missions, and that in those that we did, it did dip under 20fps, whereas before this was pretty rare for me). However, the taste (visuals) are incomparable.

I am running into an issue that I had before. In A2 and -winxp, my GPU utilization is maxed out, and CPU goes to +70% for one core, and around +60% for the other 3 cores. If I didn't use -winxp, I'd get pretty bad framerates (-10fps) and both GPU and CPU around 50%, at most. I am getting similar behaviour in A3 in some instances, which is rather annoying. I never figured out the cause, but I suspect I could be getting more out of it.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

From a very cursory sampling of the dishes on display, I have to say the following:
  • The meat (content) is still undercooked, obviously. It's good, but I much prefer well-done to medium-rare (Alpha only has Alpha content! Whodathunkit?).
  • There are a lot of heavy proteins, and it could use a mixing in of white meats (only guns available have rather stunning recoil compared to A2 - my right hand for a 5.56mm weapon again, maybe a 4.7mm if we really want to go futurey).
  • The sauce is delicious though, with just the right weight and a smooth, even consistency and taste (visuals are spectacular and smooth, recommended GPU specs are right on target, given that I'm a generation or two behind on GPU, and can still run medium-high).
  • Veggies... oh god the veggies are to die for. Lean, sinewy texture with a flavor and taste that are out of this world (movement and positioning is like freakin' sex compared to A2, and I haven't even played with the adjustable stances and varied movement speeds yet!)
  • Dessert... gosh, dessert could be a meal all its own (sound is... gaaaaaaaah, it's amazing! Like someone took the weightiness of ACEX_SM, and added in the deep bass and impact of JSRS - perfection!)
~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

x25killa

Post by x25killa »

A banana.

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

I did take a cursory glance at the menu (dyslecxi's new videos) and I must admit the culinary possibilities have made me very hungry.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

So far, the waiter has dilly-dallied quite a bit. >>

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

if you have some time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w45pfXXfcbw watch my stream for my over the top reactions!

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Well the MH-9 has real glue under the skids :(
But generally it's quite tasty, just not the looks because I have to play on Medium or else I only get 15 FPS. The editor is cool, and I love the addition of the Functions & Config Viewer. However what I miss is that you cannot edit the preference of multiple units at once (like playable).

The stance adjustment is cool, but the AI is bad. I do not recommend fighting against Diving AI, they do not react if you are further away than 30-40m.
In general I like it. Except flying.