V+ Mod Pack Additions & Changes

Travel with the official FA tourism agency
Satire

Re: V+ Mod Pack Additions & Changes

Post by Satire »

On the smaller side of things:

@pook_Backpacks - 16 kB - Simple mod, lets A2 units (CDF, USMC, NAPA etc) use backpacks. They won’t be visible but will still work.

@rhs_cargosystem - 7.5 MB - Lets infantry ride on the top and sides of some soviet vehicles (BTR-60, BMP-2, BRDM-2, T-55, T-72) via addition of a module (which could be placed wither per mission or as part of a new F2 fork). Has some cool features like being able to bang on the armour to get the attention of the crew, and infantry being thrown off and stunned when the vehicle is hit by AT fire. The awesome part of this this that you can now do mechanized infantry with one IFV/APC per squad, with half the team on the inside and half outside. Not to mention being able to pull of some tank desant glory charges clinging onto the side of a T-55!

@st_bunnyhop - 147 kB - We're already running stmovement as part of the modset, so adding this is logical. It also removes the issue of using it in adversarial if we all have it, and it makes moving around areas with low fences a little easier.
kalelovil wrote:Mods which add new factions, vehicles and vehicle variations, particularly armored stuff, so long as the quality difference between them and vanilla is not too distracting.
That's been my thinking with this, trying to get the most out of any new possible content, as well as filling in gaps in exsisting rosters, like there being no desert Russians. I agree with Pr3sario's suggestions wholeheartedly, and would also add Desert USMC (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7328) to that. There's also some nice re-skins for US desert units into woodland ones, so we can have Bradley's and Strykers to play with in Green. That'll give mission makers so much more flexibility with just a few additions.

As Wolfenswan mentions, the RHS mod has some cool stuff, it also has some parts (vehicles) available separately. The RH AK pack is cool too, as are the RH packs in general. They tend to add weapons we'd use, rather than drowning us in Thermals and NVG.

Maps wise, I agree with a fair few of the suggestions so far (Clafghan, MBG Nam, SMD Sahrani in particular) and would have to add F.A.T.A. to the list (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22057) since it's absolutely beautiful. I think it's safe to say that SMD will probably be in since the sheer level of broken in our current Sahrani is what prompted this change in the first place. On that subject, it should also be possible to do a straight port over of missions to the new terrain.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a good, standalone (or close to) M72 LAW mod then please for the love of god let us know!
Crocuta wrote: After our recent "road trip" style missions it might be fun to try out a few small patrol/recon vehicles for fireteams. Maybe even an MRAP? I might dig around and see if there's anything we could use which will bring something new to the table.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.p ... -RG-31-Mk5

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21341

;)
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

boberro

Post by boberro »

I'd like to see some maps with detailed terrain. With proving grounds level of detail. I can't find anything though.
More of national armies is another thing that would be nice to have. BAF fetish of Dancemoox should not be the only fetish V+ is into.

Maybe ACR lite? We just need to distribute it in separate folder, since MP compatibility pack installs in very inelegant way of global folder.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Satire wrote:Maps wise, I agree with a fair few of the suggestions so far (Clafghan, MBG Nam, SMD Sahrani in particular) and would have to add F.A.T.A. to the list (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22057) since it's absolutely beautiful.
I just checked out F.A.T.A and it's fantastic.

Also, those MRAPs you posted are better quality than the ones that I managed to find (MaxxPro and Ridgback).

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Wouldn't recommend ACR lite as it messes up vegetation on Chernarus (giving AI the ability to see through it).

Dslyexci did release a (beta) vanilla version of his Littlebird enhancement (which in turn can easily be used to shoot from various vehicles by using the animations provided in the mod).
FATA, obviously is a great choice for an Afghan-style map, and Sangin is pretty awesome when it comes to adversarials (5x5 map).
Lingor is pretty awesome, has quite a lot of nice little locations and comes with a few new factions, characters, vehicles and weapons. Isla Duala, for the same reasons.
As said before, RHS stuff is quite awesome.

boberro

Post by boberro »

I decided to playtest some of the islands available on the BI forums, and write about those which I believe should be added to V+. Right now I really like Razoreniya and Emita City.
I don't recommend MBG_Nam, while it would be nice to have Nam style map, this one has problems - road is bumpy (ok, this can add to the atmosphere), and it has objects that on map show as buildings while they are not. On the pro side, Takistani army fits there nicely.
Tarin Kot has the same problem Fallujah had: it lags, even without any units on it. Unfortunately that's the price of enterable buildings. On the pro side, it's based on real town, so could be "Ferrard approved" :D I might test it again, to see how fps drops with bigger number of units.

Razoreniya
3km x 3km of tropical island. With required addons (african foliage) takes 90MB. Looks pretty and while I guess co-ops could be messy (but 6 ASR_AIs did not see me through the foliage during the playtest), it should be wonderful for adversarials.
USMC recon, CDF, Takistani army, BAF Woodland units seem to work well in this climate.

Imgur album

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by boberro on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Oh, yeah, forgot about Emita. Very nice map indeed, and a good alternative to Fallujah. Runs quite well too, for me it's better than Chernarus around Chernogorsk.

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

Only problem I can for see with all the vegetation in Razoreniya is that the AI may have xray vision with it.

Mr-Link

Post by Mr-Link »

Depends, what do we need right now? is it new maps or new addons/models or both?

There are lots of good maps out there. People already suggested MBGNam and Clafgan for example. However, it would probably be best to play MBGNam with appropriate Vietnam era addons (which would increase the download size). Whereas Clafgan can probably work fine with what we have.

in anycase, I think this:
Satire wrote:On the smaller side of things:

@pook_Backpacks - 16 kB - Simple mod, lets A2 units (CDF, USMC, NAPA etc) use backpacks. They won’t be visible but will still work.

is probably a must

The other smaller addons that satire suggested are probably great as well.

Like Pr3sario said, given enough notice, I should have no problem with the download size. However, since the download size seems to be spiraling out of control anyways, might it be worth it to consider convenient total conversion mods instead of collecting lots of smaller separate addons that might not work well together? For example, one of the Vietnam mods or CWR ? Just thinking out loud here....

For addons, yeah certainly go nuts with the modern Russian troops and weapons for RH or somewhere else. Love me some AKs :clint:

Like Pr3sario said, given enough notice, I should have no problem with the download size. Having said that, since the download size seems to be spiraling out of control anyways. Might it be worth it to consider using convenient total conversion mods instead of using a lot of smaller addons that might not work well together? For example one of the Vietnam mods or CWR ?

.....just thinking out loud here.......

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

Mr-Link wrote:since the download size seems to be spiraling out of control anyways.
Remember we are just all thinking out loud here, nothing has been confirmed yet. This thread has been started by dancemoox and Satire to collect ideas from the community so feel free to throw out any mods/maps with little regard to the size at the moment -- let them worry about that. I just think putting a limit on the size puts a limit on this discussion.

Total conversion mods are about turning the game into something completely different (in most cases), so I'd guess given that they are a no go at the moment.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Satire

Post by Satire »

We haven't got a fixed size for the download yet, it will almost certainly be bigger than the current pack (Simply switching to SMD Sahrani will actually free up 700mb to play with), but it won't be some bloated monstrosity that will eat you hard drive and take a week to download. We know may comrades aren't blessed with the best download speeds so we will bear this in mind. Another point to remember is that this mod pack will likely stay stable for a period of months, unless something is horribly broken, so it will be a one off download.
Mr-Link wrote: Like Pr3sario said, given enough notice, I should have no problem with the download size. However, since the download size seems to be spiraling out of control anyways, might it be worth it to consider convenient total conversion mods instead of collecting lots of smaller separate addons that might not work well together? For example, one of the Vietnam mods or CWR ? Just thinking out loud here....
The problem with TC mods is that they often change core gameplay mechanics, and that's really a no-no for us. We're vanilla plus after all. Also, with a bit of searching you can find alternatives that don't require the whole pack. Plus, they can be really really big! Also, everything will be tested to make sure it plays well together.

(The Vietnam mod I tried last was also ugly as sin, so there's that too....)
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.