fa3_c50_puddle_jumpers

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Ferrard Carson

fa3_c50_puddle_jumpers

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Check it out, actual use of an IFV's amphibious qualities!

Anticipated tweaks:
  • Delay and space the initial wave of technicals
  • Change the counter-attack trigger to track status of FIA's AT positions instead of 100% building clearance
  • Tweak the Southern-most AT position so that the CO and hosts don't have to be paranoid about detonating one minute into the mission
  • Indicate vehicle mountings for non-squad elements to clarify required vics
  • Maybe reduce the number of 40mm GPs being slung across the AO...
Further feedback welcome!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Eagle_Eye

Re: fa3_c50_puddle_jumpers

Post by Eagle_Eye »

From my experience last night:

I think we were a bit unlucky with just walking directly into the technicals guns as we entered the town, but spacing their placement in the town might be a good idea.

Changing the clear trigger is definitely helpful. If the mission was just to clear the town it would be understandable but I don't think there is time to check every single building in the and then move on to Neochori. One alternative could be to change the trigger to OPFOR-present and then have "count thislist < 5" or 10 or whatever proportion of the original number of units are present in the town. Means that the last 4 stragglers wont cause too much trouble, but doesn't rely on the AT being down either.

Personally I thought the 40mm grenades added some great atmosphere. They effectively hampered the IFVs while not being too harsh on them with 1 hit deaths, and it kept the infantry on their toes. (Never did figure out if it was a GMG that was firing on us or just some UGLs, but a GMG would be a nice obstacle for both the infantry and vics to combine and defeat.)

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yup, keep the 40mm stuff, that was fun :D
If anything, a heavier garrison force in the town initially would be more of a challange. These AI are just not that aggressive or proactive :(

Also, ACOs. Gah. Ugh. Blech. And so forth.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Eagle_Eye wrote:Personally I thought the 40mm grenades added some great atmosphere. They effectively hampered the IFVs while not being too harsh on them with 1 hit deaths, and it kept the infantry on their toes. (Never did figure out if it was a GMG that was firing on us or just some UGLs, but a GMG would be a nice obstacle for both the infantry and vics to combine and defeat.)
Point. And there's no GMGs in this mission, they're too stupidly effective in the hands of AI. Hell, the accuracy of those pintle-mounted .50's continues to boggle the mind.
Sparks wrote:Yup, keep the 40mm stuff, that was fun :D
If anything, a heavier garrison force in the town initially would be more of a challange. These AI are just not that aggressive or proactive :(
Point. Will look into improvements in that area.
Sparks wrote:Also, ACOs. Gah. Ugh. Blech. And so forth.
Oh, you're gonna love Squirrels! :dance:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Ferrard_Carson wrote:And there's no GMGs in this mission
Yeah, while updating my missions to orbat2015 I have removed a lot of 50cals. Im trying to only use them when they have a very limited role (like they can only see down one street or down a single road) so that they are at least a little bit defeatable.