fa_c28_littlebirdies

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Eagle_Eye

fa_c28_littlebirdies

Post by Eagle_Eye »

So, a pretty simple re-imagining of "The Rundown" adversarial but in a co-op format.

I thought things went alright, apart from one or two hiccups.

- There should really only be one red car, need to figure out a way to clean up the other two.
- Ideally the convoys should actually leave the compound, however due to arma AI, this is not always the case ( for example tricky right angle turns just break the ai most of the time). I think some teleporting shenanigans might be in order to set up the convoys in a nice way so that the players have to actually search for the enemy.
- I dont know what actually happened to the officer. He seemed to disappear either really quickly or never spawned at all. Either way a trigger event might be needed to communicate that he has died. (the idea is that squads need to check the zones after a firefight, but maybe thats a little bit too hard to do).

Anyway, criticism/comments are welcome.

Kefirz

Re: fa_c28_littlebirdies

Post by Kefirz »

Ugh... teleporting sounds like a bad idea for these Search & Destroy missions, you might think you have checked a sector, but a moment later he teleports behind you...

Have you tried one of the convoy scripts?

If that doesn't work, why not just paint one of the Hunters/Pickups red.
I mean, they worked, so randomize the route a bit and you might be fine.

I also read that the VIP might not move at all... so that might be option 4 :D

So.. a randomization on which route the VIP takes 1,2,3 or he stays at base (4 ).
By any means, I'm no scripter, but IF RNG=2, then VIP takes route 2 and fake-convoy1 takes route 1 and fake-convoy2 takes route 3.

Or I just might be making a fool of myself now :D :siiigh:
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Thats exactly how i have it at the minute. There are 9 routes I think (3 starting roads, that each have branches). Each convoy gets a random route and the VIPs car gets attached to the end of one of the convoys. I am using wolfenswans convoy script, unfortunately as good as that is, sometimes they just dont seem to want to actually move and leave the spawn (or maybe im doing something wrong). I think what I might do is just shift them all forward a bit, so that they start out on the road that they are taking, and dont have to navigate any sharp turns/other cars. Thats what I meant by teleporting them, it also serves to give them a headstart on us. Looking at the editor again I think this is the best way to go about it.

The one thing that I dont know how to fix, is that if one convoy gets engaged, theres a good chance another might hear, and dismount. At that point its hard to get them to re-mount and continue to the objective again.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Also i just figured out a way to only have 1 red car, which I knew would cause confusion. Now the VIPs car will be red, and any other empty cars he doesnt take will be brown.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Yeah, taskConvoy doesn't take remounting into account. Once the convoy feels threatened it will dismount and prepare for engagement.

One thing you can try is reducing the ASR_AI3 radio range a good bit (set asr_ai3_main_radiorange to 100 or so in the init.sqf). Or change line 133 in taskConvoy to:

Code: Select all

if (({!canMove _x || !alive _x || damage _x > 0)} count _convoy) > 0) then {
It would also be possible to make BLUFOR/INDFOR friendly at the start of the mission but flip them to hostile once INDFOR gets too close, but that might be a bit hack-y.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

wolfenswan wrote:
It would also be possible to make BLUFOR/INDFOR friendly at the start of the mission but flip them to hostile once INDFOR gets too close, but that might be a bit hack-y.
Well, if it works and it improves the mission, then why not?
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Kefirz wrote:
wolfenswan wrote:
Well, if it works and it improves the mission, then why not?
I thought that tends to give, shall we say, inconsistent results.
[/allegedly]

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

So I tried messing with the taskConvoy function for a bit. I set the convoy groups to CARELESS, and actually removed the two checks on the convoy. So now the convoy should always go to the waypoint, and if they get shot at keep going until they are forced to stop (at which point I hope to make them shoot back). However even setting the AI to CARELESS,FULL speed and GREEN combat mode, they still stop and dismount.

Going to do a bit more testing. What I want in the end is that damaged vehicles will stop and engage, while any vehicle able to keep going will continue down the road. I think it might take some heavier repurposing of wolfenswans script.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

You can take out the entire exit condition, that way it'll never leave the loop.