SuicideKing
Host

fa3_a100_urban_assault

Post by SuicideKing »

My first adversarial!

Noted feedback:
  • Remove UAV thermals - Done!
  • Remove crates - Done!
  • Make objectives switchable via params (how?)
  • Hint when a side has destroyed the objective - Done!
Stuff I would like feedback on:
  • Is the exfil thing a good idea? Is there any way to make it such that ALL or a majority of each side need to exfil?
  • Is simply destroying the device good or would you rather want to "secure it" (via add action) like the original Urban Assault in America's Army?
  • Alternatively, I could mix Urban Assault with Border and make it such that some intel needs to be extracted back to exfil, maybe from both objectives. Probably makes more sense, but maybe more complicated to handle two intel items (will have to look at wolf's script again).
  • Do you want more fortifications on the streets?
  • Would you like to see a "special edition" of this mission with AAF AI defending the objectives? Will still be PvP at its core.
A question: What are the crates for then? Why put them in the framework?

If I've missed anything, or you want something added, let me know. :science101:

p.s. Rangefinders and UAVs are the only things with night vision - this is intentional.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

AmishStrikeForce

Re: fa3_a100_urban_assault

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

SuicideKing wrote:My first adversarial!
Congrats!
SuicideKing wrote:Stuff I would like feedback on:

Is the exfil thing a good idea?
It can be. It all depends on how you structure the rest of the mission.
SuicideKing wrote:Is there any way to make it such that ALL or a majority of each side need to exfil?
Yes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question though. :?:
SuicideKing wrote:Is simply destroying the device good or would you rather want to "secure it" (via add action) like the original Urban Assault in America's Army?
The answer to that depends on what kind of mission are you trying to make. It's your vision, ultimately. That said, my opinion is: if you're going to stick with having a goal of the teams trying to destroy something make them different things-to-be-destroyed. I.E., each team has a "base" with itemX and each team is trying to get into the enemy base and destroy itemX before the opposing team. Pretty much exactly what you've already created (with the two buildings to be destroyed), but simply spawn the respective teams at the location of each of the items and remove the exfils.
SuicideKing wrote:Alternatively, I could mix Urban Assault with Border and make it such that some intel needs to be extracted back to exfil, maybe from both objectives. Probably makes more sense, but maybe more complicated to handle two intel items (will have to look at wolf's script again).
This sounds like it'd be more competitive and perhaps more fun. :)
SuicideKing wrote:Do you want more fortifications on the streets?
Nope. Kavala has plenty of hidey holes already. ;)
SuicideKing wrote:Would you like to see a "special edition" of this mission with AAF AI defending the objectives? Will still be PvP at its core.
That would be an interesting change... It all depends how it plays out in practice.
SuicideKing wrote:A question: What are the crates for then? Why put them in the framework?
I've no clue about any crates, so I can't help you there. :D

Overall, I thought it was fun. I gunned down Peasant and Netkev in cold blood :jihad: (before the mission was declared inconclusive for some reason) so I'm biased though. :laugh: I would definitely not have the teams fighting to blow up the same object AND trying to exfil. If you're going to have them trying to blow up X then make it such that whoever does so, wins. That would definitely kick the adversarial into overdrive.
Also known as Spanks Masterson

SuicideKing
Host

Re: fa3_a100_urban_assault

Post by SuicideKing »

Thanks, Spanks! I'm not going to put that much effort into quoting, though :P
Yes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question though.
Currently if any Blufor/Opfor unit reaches the exfil zone, and at least one object is destroyed, the end trigger is called. Everyone doesn't have to exfil. Can obviously be gamed.
but simply spawn the respective teams at the location of each of the items and remove the exfils
Nah that's not what I want for this mission. Basically my problem with destroying the devices is that it can be done via rockets from a distance, or by about 6 GP rounds. I was also wondering whether I should include a player/AI controlled mortar team on both sides - which of course can't work if the objectives need to be destroyed. This probably responds to your final point as well.
(before the mission was declared inconclusive for some reason)
Because if you don't blow up both devices or don't annihilate the opposition, the mission gets declared a draw. You guys exfiltrated, triggering the end - the host didn't call it.

The reason for this was: even if a single lone person in one of the teams manages to sneak away to the objectives and blow them up (while the enemy is kept busy by others), the team that loses the objectives still has a chance to win by preventing the "winning" team from exfiltrating (via death). Or something like that. Basically, a second chance.

Really appreciate the feedback though. I didn't reply to some things but I have noted all, don't worry! :D

I'll probably try and implement the intel recovery thing. It'll give people an actual reason to exfil, and add an element of both assault and withdrawal (and VIP protection, I guess). Intel markers are global so it's like that Halo game mode, Oddball.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com