fa3_c20_from_russia_with_love_i

Post by SuicideKing »

:w-hat: about it?
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Costno
Host

Re: fa3_c20_from_russia_with_love_i

Post by Costno »

This mission is brutal. Fun, but brutal. While I'm sure others will comment ways to either add more slots or give options if we lose attack choppers, I just want to mention three things:

1. Nato recon units with silencers are mean

2. Second AAA gun is in a spot which essentially prevents ground units from hitting it, making it almost unkillable if we lose helis.

3. What stops the AHs from killing the device? There is definitely ways to get shots on it from the air

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

I would suggest putting in a soft failure condition for if the attack choppers go down. Like, maybe put in some rescue helis and leave instructions that they should be used if the choppers are taken out before they can take out enough of the defenders.

It might also be nice if you could somehow indicate that the town is mucho dangerous. I realize that's difficult in a world where people don't read things, and maybe it comes down to players learning the mission a bit, but we did lose a chopper to careless meandering near the town.

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

darkChozo wrote:careless meandering near the town.
If that means flying on the deck at top speed a couple hundred metres away from the AO as marked on the map, while also suffering from desync, then yes, we were carelessly meandering near the town. :colbert:

The double negative in the briefing caused some confusion - 'do not expect them to not engage you' can be, and apparently was, misinterpreted, especially when people skim through the briefing.

I think my FPS issue was 1.64's performance bug, but if you want to use headless client (and it's probably a good idea) then all you need to do is:
Place a playable headless client entity (under systems -> logic entities) in the editor.
In the garrison script, change

Code: Select all

if !(isServer) exitWith {};
to

Code: Select all

if ((isNil "hc" && !isServer) || (!isNil "hc" && (isServer || hasInterface))) exitWith {};
and you should be good to go.

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Ciaran wrote:If that means flying 75 meters above the ground
FTFY

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Costno wrote: 1. Nato recon units with silencers are mean

2. Second AAA gun is in a spot which essentially prevents ground units from hitting it, making it almost unkillable if we lose helis.

3. What stops the AHs from killing the device? There is definitely ways to get shots on it from the air
1. I agree :D . Both the CTRG unit and NATO recon unit were outside town to the south, afaik. My assumption was that the helicopters would likely spot them and shoot them before they cause an issue. But yeah, will remove silencers.

2. That's surprising, I thought it was visible from the hill (if you go into the forest)? I'm unsure what to do with it except remove it, really.

3. Well, nothing. In fact, that's why I put a shed over it. So really, the answer to that is "role play". :P Alternatively I could put it in a building, but it's really to be played as an infantry objective. (I mean why not just send a cruise missile in :P )

Third option is of course a steal-or-destroy objective, but that would of course require a slightly differing mission design.

EDIT: Fourth option! Download some data from the device and then destroy it!
darkChozo wrote:I would suggest putting in a soft failure condition for if the attack choppers go down. Like, maybe put in some rescue helis and leave instructions that they should be used if the choppers are taken out before they can take out enough of the defenders.
But I have placed boats to escape by...and mentioned this in the briefing (not highlighted, though). Unless you want the rescue helis to do pew pew...
It might also be nice if you could somehow indicate that the town is mucho dangerous. I realize that's difficult in a world where people don't read things, and maybe it comes down to players learning the mission a bit, but we did lose a chopper to careless meandering near the town.
If you were playing v3 (if not, it's on the MM server), I've literally stated this under commander's intent :P and there are scary markers too...

There is no failure condition in the sense that, if the device isn't destroyed and the squads run away on boats, the host will have to end the mission.
Ciaran wrote:
darkChozo wrote:careless meandering near the town.
The double negative in the briefing caused some confusion - 'do not expect them to not engage you' can be, and apparently was, misinterpreted, especially when people skim through the briefing.
Okay, will change it.

There's not much of a garrison, whatever performance hit there is (and sFPS should have been 40+), is because of tanks and AI vs AI combat.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com