[Sun] 23 Nov 2014 (Ambitiously doomed)

How we died (in the future)
wolfenswan

[Sun] 23 Nov 2014 (Ambitiously doomed)

Post by wolfenswan »

It is November and the days are getting shorter and colder. It seems either this or the onslaught of newly released games is having an impact on our numbers, as just a mere 21 comrades peeked out from under the blankets to attend today's session.

Nevertheless, what we lacked in numbers we made up for in ambition and completely unfounded confidence in our skills. It's only thanks to our efficiency in failing, that the expected death quota was still fulfilled!

Here's what we played:
  • The Sting - in which the cops busted a party earlier than expected
  • Into the Fire - where a ragtag bunch of militiaman watched their high-tech allies fail
  • Hillside View - 5 people survived! And only 2 were left behind!
  • Salt Riders - did anyone notice my body being catapulted several m into the air from the vehicle?
  • Jolly Blue XL - the hills have corpses
Also an encouragement: As our numbers are fluctuating regularly due to FA's philosophy and no attendance requirements we are always in need for missions for all kinds of player counts. Especially for the tuesday sessions and low-turnout sundays we can always use missions tailored towards a squad+ number of players. So if you didn't want to tackle mission-making yet because you felt overwhelmed by the idea of having to make a mission for 40 players, maybe this is more your liking? Our competent engineering comrades are always happy to help a beginner!

Aqarius
Host

Re: [Sun] 23 Nov 2014 (Ambitiously doomed)

Post by Aqarius »

The Sting
APD Commissioner
Police actions go much smoother when you drive like a maniac ;)
And the bag of meth we swiped from the evidence locker doesn't exactly hurt either :cop:

Into the Fire
NATO AM
There was some really operator radio chatter on approach. Then we got hit, and I bailed, forgetting that A3 doesn't give you a parachute when you do that. So, anyway, I'm lying on the sea floor, when I notice that the spectator didn't trigger. I figure I may still be bleeding, but before I get to find out, the chopper makes an overly rough landing, and...

Hillside View
CSAT BSL
As usual, we descended into the fog, and reached the first crest. Then we came under fire, got pinned, and ground to a nub. I have a feeling this is the kind of tactic that would work like a charm in Takistan, but the AI in the fog here just breaks us.

Salt Riders
Much better when you can actually tell who's who. Hilarious when people circle the wagons and you get to kite them like a raiding band :mrgreen:

Jolly Blue XL
There's people coming towards us, we need to hunker down and defend untill the chopper gets us out. I know, let's head for the densely wooded area!
Also, why did the compass break halfway in?
[/allegedly]

on_certainty

Post by on_certainty »

The Sting
Mafia ASL
About to step out of the cemetery where we spawned, and I hear the 5-0 rolling up. Dash back into the cemetery and begin to start sneaking out the back. I set one foot out of the back of the cemetery and am met with a volley of lead. I lay on the ground rethinking my pursuit of a life of crime, when suddenly I reawaken. Joy! What a beautiful face! Wait a minute, aren't you...

Into the Fire
NATO AM
As the mission creator, recognizing the distinct possibility that the entire thing will end in a burning heap of metal within the first 5 minutes, I volunteer to be the pilot. I also realize that our LZ is doomed from the beginning but say nothing, wondering if we will have enough time to react. Calls come in over the radio... enemy helicopter buzzing the town... FIA friendlies pinned by an APC... and still our brave CO has us push onward. Then he gives me the discretion wave off if we take fire. Immediately, we take fire. I pull full collective and push the cyclic hard right... we narrowly miss the tree tops and make it back out over the water. Then we take the first round. Red light. Anti-torque gone. A second round. Red light, alarm. Engine gone. Drop full collective, begin attempting to rock out of the oncoming spin. For what seemed like hours, I dance with death herself in the sky over the bay. We begin to lose speed and start into a nice glide toward the airfield to the north. 50 meters from the ground. Up full collective! Our descent hesitates for a moment. And then we drop like a rock...

Hillside View
CSAT A(??) FTL
I know what is coming for us, but somehow I find the strength to march on. One of my men doesn't share this intestinal fortitude and loses connection moments after we touch down. The AI who inherits his body clings to the helicopter like a boy to his parents' legs on the first day of school. The crew chief coolly 'incentivizes' him with a Makarov, and the four of us are off... into the fog. We barely begin down the hill when ASL comes over the radio to tell me we have veered too far up the hill and are exposed. Are those tracers? And then chaos. My team takes turns napping in the dirt until we've had it. I think I hear a helicopter in the distance? Maybe my brief career as a CSAT FTL is just flashing before my eyes...

Salt Riders
FAI (??) Bossman
Everything was going pretty smoothly... in a counterclockwise fashion... until a BLUFOR offroad introduced itself to our left rear tire.

Jolly Blue XL
CO
Immediately, we make a dash for a nearby hill with a view over our surroundings. Relatively quickly, we recognize the radar dome over Sofia. Just when it looks like our rescue might be in the bag, a hellcat starts doing gun runs over us. I tell my men to hunker down in the trees and rocks until the cavalry arrives. But some of my men were too brave. By the time TH1 seems to get his bird under control and drift over between gun runs, there is hardly much left to rescue. Seeing my men bleeding and scattered about me, I decide that they would have wanted me to save myself and tell their stories rather than bother with patching them up. (Well, actually, I did bother with patching a couple of them up). Not wanting to leave the TH1 all dressed up with nowhere to go at the LZ, I make my mad dash down the hill for freedom. And I make it! Glorious salvation! I celebrate by dancing around the bird for a moment. Wait, why isn't it letting me board? Is there a traitor among us? Lucikly, I don't need to worry about this for long, as the whole thing wraps up with a familiar fireball.

fer

Post by fer »

The Sting

Mafia Boss - Fer
|-- Alpha SL - Rawnix

There's a harbour area to the south of the city, and my intention was to have the rescue boat come in just south of that whilst my footmen used the docks as a defensive position. This assumed that the cops would probably pick up our trail whilst we traversed the town and thus attack from the north/north-east. Whilst it was tempting to move straight from the graveyard to the pick-up location, the terrain looked to be wide open - and it also seemed 'not in the spirit of the mission' to avoid movement through the city. Therefore, my movement plan was as follows:
  • Head directly west to the nearest part of the town
  • Proceed west, then south-west and finally south to the harbour
  • Have A1 and A2 FTs move in bounds - with one FT securing a junction at all times
Because a large body of men moving through the streets might attract the attention of the cops, I myself would move parallel to the main column, through the houses and yards just north of it, with Alpha SL doing something similar to the south.

What actually happened was that almost as soon as the mission started, and I was about 15m west of the graveyard walls, the cops showed up in trucks and blocked our route to the town. Damn. So I did what any self-respecting Mafia boss would do in that situation - I hid like a coward. Crawling up to a low wall, I stayed as still as I could and hoped that the attackers would pass around or over me. Which, surprisingly, they did. Unfortunately, when I started to crawl tentatively southwards, a cop on the graveyard's west wall scanned the ground behind him, spotted me, and fired a burst from his SMG. I wasn't killed - and he didn't come over to check who I was / finish me off - but by the time comrade Wolfenswan reached me to administer drugs it was too late. I bled out.

:siiigh:

Into the Fire

NATO - CO SuperU / FIA FTL - Wolfenswan
|-- Downed Pilot - Fer

This was very, very atmospheric - and I can't wait to see this attempted with greater numbers and a slightly more conservative selection of LZ (not to mention a second Huron). Floating down into the town, I was able to link up with comrade Wolfenswan's FIA FT almost immediately. There then followed some very dramatic action as an enemy troops and an IFV/APC pulled up outside the first house we first occupied. I couldn't see much of the action as I was belly-down on the upper storey, but eventually I heard Wolfenswan call out that we were exiting through the door to the back yard. We dashed across a yard or two and took up positions in a second building. Again, we came under fire from several directions, but it felt like we could hold out against all but heavy weapons fire. If NATO could just--

Wait, was that a helicopter exploding?

:siiigh:

Note to on-certainty: This is really great stuff, and might also lend itself to a remake in a different location once you get this one refined. Not sure if this is your first mission, but I look forward to more from you!

Hillside View

Bravo SL - ???
|-- Bravo FTL - Fer

I love this mission. The lightly wooded gulleys make me think of every 80s Vietnam TV show ever made (and, incidentally, shot in the California countryside). The CO's plan was a straighforward sweep from east to west, with Bravo acting as the down-slope squad. We were able to get from the insertion point to the first gulley without incident, but soon found ourselves under fire. My FT, Bravo 2, found itself as the southern-most element, and was soon engaged by another FT of guerrillas further down the gulley. We exchanged many grenades with the enemy, but I confess I was still unsure as to whether we'd scored any kills. However, what I did know was that my AR was dead. Feeling that we needed to press our height advantage and take the fight to the enemy, I attempted to push aggressively down the gulley with my remaining men, for which my reward was a bullet to the face.

:owned:

Note: I think we need to start thinking more about the spacing of squads in this mission. The map can be mis-leading, and I wonder whether we should explore a tighter formation in future. In this play-through I did wonder if the squads could really support each other.

lietuvis10

Post by lietuvis10 »