[Tue] 04 Mar 2014 (In these turbulent times)

How we died (in the future)
Satire

[Tue] 04 Mar 2014 (In these turbulent times)

Post by Satire »

Many thanks to the peak of 30 comrades who came out this Tuesday to back in the sunny (or not so sunny) climes of Altis and Stratis.

Rub Out saw us make a dusk assault on the town of Frini to assassinate a FIA warlord and wipe out a NATO outpost. Admittedly, with the warlord dead some confusion may have resulted in a withdrawal, leaving the NATO base unscathed...

AirEola resulted in Indfor and Friendly Fire wiping out most of the Blufor defenders, leaving us to watch a tense game of Comrade Spitnam vs the World, until his demise from a nearby falling building.

Combined assault took us over the fields and swamps of Zaros, up the hill and to our doom. Still at least we killed the AA nest!

Smugglers nearly went to an Opfor victory from the off, with their sneaky commando teams ambushing our boat, but rather than destroy it, they decided to keep it. This proved their undoing as the FIA swarmed the cove wanting their ride back.

Thorn saw a hiking holiday turn into a series of fire-fights over the hills of Kore in search of rebel mortars.

And finally Airfield Raid had us receive a holy sermon for CO/Father Dogface. Infused with zeal and holy might we fought our way to the airfield. Where the choppers we were sent to blow up were nowhere to be found...

Please feel free to leave your feedback, war stories, pictures, videos and art therapy from the PTSD clinic here for all to enjoy.
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

IceRaiser

Re: [Tue] 04 March 2014 (In these turbulent times)

Post by IceRaiser »

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Simply divine! Some superb tactiteamwork was on display and we had some great success despite our cosy numbers.

Rub Out - BSL

A nice little tactical dose to start things off, we approached the town of Frini from the south with Bravo on the west flank. My fireteams provided excellent feedback on what was going on with them so we were able to stay nicely coordinated and co-covering as we bounded up a road, dealing death left and right. When we got up to the town itself things started getting a little more hectic, but despite a couple of casualties we kept on soldiering, clearing out the west side of town. Things were getting more and more tumultuous but we simultaneously learnt of the glorious victory of the enemy officer being dead, and the heartrending tragedy of our CO having been killed. Dannysaysnoo kept a cool head and lead us decisively backwards, out of harms way. Who cares about some damned "NATO base" -- if such a thing even existed in the first place -- we all (well, the tough ones) made it back for tea.

AirEola - DEFENDFOR (FIA) CO

Despite having a rather piffling force to defend a rather wide area, we actually managed to do... okay, we lost horribly. A2 went up onto a hill in the northwest, A3 took up residence in the middle town and A1 took the armed offroad southeast to the nearby village, while me and Nothun hung around in the town as well. A2 were first to make contact as the enemy chopper practically landed on their heads; A2 enthusiastically opened fire but soon all we heard from them was radio silence. A3, under Satire I think, were the next to try their chances, heading up onto the east side of the hill to try and flank around, but after a harried contact report, it was soon radio silence from them too.

Unnerved, A1 drew back to defend the town caches, while I attempted to sneakily slip my way into a set of civilian clothing kindly provided by a helpful civilian who was taking a little rest in a puddle of ketchup. However the Arma gods decreed that it was not to be, and CO team instead stripped down to our kecks and tried to look inconspicuous as we hunted down the enemy. Showing absolutely no regard for the risk to possible innocent life, one of them shot me in the top of the head from a window. Nothun and Spitnam waged a two-man campaign of terror against the remaining enemies but despite whittling down a few of them, they were soon exterminated along with the caches. Boooo!

Combined assault - Theia (Tank) Gunner

Nabbing a toy slot, I straddled the cannon of mighty chariot of Theia and swung it about with glorious abandon as little squishy human types milled around us doing inconsequential things. However it proved hard to tame as the sights were distinctly wonky, Madtoaster could barely see out of his letterbox, Rook had connection problems, and the whole tank was possessed by the very devil, warping and lagging and teleporting all over the place like a mad thing. Nevertheless we managed to take out a few troops here and there, some more explosively than others, and also take out a rather half-blind APC, with a couple more pelting us with cannon rounds that did nothing against our armour, forged by Hephaestus himself no doubt in the fires of Mount Olympus.

As we rushed towards the last hill, and with Rook's grey-matter now decorating the open commander's hatch, I commandeered the vehicle and took us on a nice scenic diversion away from the distracting little men to try and climb the hill by the road. We encountered several bad guys -- too many, indeed, as they rocketed us to smithereens.

Smugglers - SMUGGLEFOR CO

How fun it is to make missions, to weave the fates of our ranks of unsuspecting peons, to play at very godhood!! Ahem. Taking charge of the criminal element, I plotted to unload one of the shipments from the UGVs (Unmanned Ground Vehicles) we had stolen. Iceraiser started hacking the Gibson while we moved down to the first crossroads, deceitfully feinting onto the north road with a view to bamboozling the opposition and their all-seeing infrared drone. Meanwhile Wolfenswan drove the gunboat north, with the same purpose.

Unfortunately the temptation of that big ol' minigun on the back proved too great as he spotted the CSAT landing force and wheeled in to mow them down, only to be mown down himself. Cruel destiny! Despite my first instinct to flee, flee like the wind, some cool head persuaded me to have a go at salvaging the boat instead. With that in mind, we advanced on our original course, towards the middle beach. We had no idea where they were so fanned out to sweep the hills, only to suffer a storm of green tracers - the boat had been hijacked! We had created a monster!

Luckily by this time Iceraiser's quadcopter had moved into position and was able to watch the gunner, so that like a Mario ghost we could sneak in closer when he wasn't looking. It was precarious, but we eventually managed to take him out, only to realise the engine was disabled and our thieving days were over. Pelting our way back to the trucks in order to try for an escape and resulting draw, we managed to spot the last CSAT dude and take him out, thus winning like Charlie Sheen.

It seems that I may have slightly overestimated how much of an advantage the CSAT's equipment would give them so a ratio of 1:3 may have been a bit much. Perhaps 1:2 would be better? I just like the idea of asymmetry! I do need to lock CSAT out of the gunboat. Removing the FIA recon drone (or at least its IR), making the night a little darker, and replacing CSAT carbines with full rifles are also possibilities. Any thoughts on adjustments that would make it better would be much appreciated.

Thorn - A1 FTL

In this nice long maneuvering mission, Iceraiser lead us high and low, hither and thither up hill and down dale, and generally all over the place, killing enemies as we went. Things went smooth as clockwork more or less, clearing a series of hills before moving onto the plain beyond; my fireteam played their roles with tightness and precision that was lovely to see.

Unfortunately our coordination wavered for a fraction of a second when we cleared a small farmyard (damn those small farmyards), as both me and Madtoaster threw grenades into an occupied building; I missed his warning and got a little too close, getting blasted to pieces by the shrapnel. After a primal Rambo-scream-and-machinegun-firing-in-the-air from Toaster, him and the studious.. um... Lammhuesel or something?? (sorry!), ran off to join the others and get killed with them.

Airfield Raid - SL

Short and men and long on enemies, I knew that we would need the Big G on our side if we were to have any hope. I therefore directed us to a chapel just outside the AO, and whipped the rowdy congregation to the pews, where amidst a heretical and Sabbath-breaking assault happening outside, possibly involving Rogue Agent Iceraiser, I searched the heavens for inspiration and delivered the following sermon:

Our Father Fer,
Who art in the mod-channel,
Hallowed by thy name.
Give us this day
our daily frags
and forgive us our pointless fucking around
for we are but newbs
in thy sight.
Amen.

With every man-jack of us feeling a sudden and surge of divine strength entering our bodies, we made a screaming, all-out charge to the beach to collect some colourful and amusing seashells, then to a covert culvert approaching the airfield. Despite increasing number of annoyed men with guns shooting at us, it actually saw us safe right up to the airfield wall, where we made our entrance.

Giving the order to go hog wild crazy, yeehaw! I abandoned the squad to their impulses, which mostly involved firing lots of tracer rounds at the approaching swarms of angry men. I led a little group into a hangar to search for the helicopters, but as soon as I poked my head around the corner it got summarily plinked with a pistol and I fell to the ground, defeated. God's kind hand left us then, and we all died.

:3

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Rub Out - INDFOR CO
Loading into the mission, I spotted the village, AO, and a marked area of a harbour. The very first thing I asked was: "Are there supposed to be more markers on the map?", but unfortunately, comrade missionmaker Satire had connection issues and I was left bereft of a response. This will prove to be important later. Alpha took the western route, advancing past the cemetery, providing crossfire for Bravo's southern strike. Advancing more or less smoothly, I soon found myself at the edges of the village, was informed that the warlord is dead, and engaged on the following thought process:" There were two objectives. There were two marked positions. The warlord is dead. Proceed to the second position." And ordered the troops to pull back from the village, and move to the (friendly, and entirely unrelated to our task) harbour to the east. I was then promptly shot to shreds and taken to Valhalla, where comrade missionmaker inquired:"Why is everyone leaving?" :siiigh:

AirEola - INDFOR A3 AAR
Dropping into what at first appeared scalding but later turned out to be just mildly warm LZ, the squad rushed the enemy batteries on the hill. I took a burst to the face charging headlong at a BLUFOR technical. Glory to the party!

Combined assault - (technically) BLUFOR CO
Recalling the frailty of Arma 2 combat vehicles, the original intent was to keep the tank back and in the open, so as to prevent it from getting ambushed by infantry. This went to hell from the word 'go', as the tank commander dropped, and the tank immediately found itself under fire and ran away in panic. The panic proved contagious, as the BLUFOR squad, moving on the first objective, came under "heavy fire" and were "being overrun", and requested tank support. The tank, composing itself, drove in to provide said support, while I made an eastern hook, in an attempt to see just what the hell they were attacked by (and perhaps even catch it with it's pants down). As I ran by the bridge, wondering where all the enemy was, I was gunned down by shots coming from BLUFOR's direction. I would then proceed to turn on tags in the spectator script, and find the enemy to be far, far away from both me, and the panic-stricken Alpha.
Which I find quite interesting :lol:

Smugglers BLUFOR A1 FTL
After our ride got hijacked by OPFOR, the plan was reformulated: Instead of meeting with the boat, we were to assault the harbour and take it back. A2 advanced along the valley, while A1 took to the ridge, and along the coastline. Hampered by the autocannon fire, however, A1 didn't reach the boat before the crew was taken out. Moving towards A2, I gave them the heads up of our approach. It was then that I was privy to an interesting exchange between A2 and our UAV operator:
Iceraiser:"There's one coming towards you, get ready."
A2:"I see him."
*Cue me getting gunned down*
Iceraiser:"Good job, you got him."
:v:

Thorn BLUFOR A2 AAR
Deciding for a run along the hills rather than dying like idiots in a direct assault, BLUFOR decided to take a casual stroll through the countryside, taking out the mortar emplacements. And then dying like idiots in a direct assault.

Airfield Raid BLUFOR A3 AAR
Stoping in the chapel for a prayer and some spiritual guidance, the squad then rushed the airfield and was told to "go hogwild crazy, YEEHAW". Half the team interpreted that as "charge the airport", while the other half interpreted it as "kill the first half with grenades".
Guess which half I was in :bang:

Friendly fire. It ain't.
[/allegedly]

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

Some fun stuff. Good times. Something I didn't record but have experienced. Stff going missing. Watch out for that guy. xD

The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"