Post by Ferrard Carson »

Missions:
  • The Back Foot
  • Precious Cargo
  • Holiday
  • Burn
  • Rub Out
  • Afterparty
Some 40 odd comrades showed up for what has to be one of the strangest sessions we've ever had - it's certainly the strangest one I've ever hosted.

We began with a nice, quick, moonlit adversarial in The Back Foot, wherein NATO's widely dispersed units were steadily gobbled up in detail by a two-pronged CSAT attack. Precious Cargo found a player convoy facing off against player ambushers - one side with a monster of an IFV, and the other with a pair of AT teams desperately trying to take it out. Iguana 1's obliteration heralded the AAF's elimination, yielding victory to the rebels! Holiday found a marooned pack of CSAT reservists slowly picked off by silent specters of the night, the cough of suppressed weapons emanating from the dense fog of Altis as weekend warrior after weekend warrior was felled by merciless NATO monsters - who then fumbled their way through the satchel instructions until they finally got one pointed in the right direction to blow up a wrecked chopper. Burn lived up to its name, far quicker than it should have. In response, we flipped the server over to Rub Out, wherein after some technical difficulties, the platoon accomplished all of our objectives with all the requisite panache and style such that FIA and NATO trembled in pants-wetting fear of our smooth moves and... oh, the AI was just dumb as a brick. Okay. Then.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by yours truly. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:clint: ~ Ferrard

SSRB (Special Statement Regarding Burn): I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fuck happened. I have some video footage for people to look at in an effort to help dissect what manner of fuckery occured, but absolutely nothing is making sense, especially considering it was run with barely less dudes last Tuesday and no such calamities occurred.
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Medic Eugene Roe

Re: [Sun] 16 March 2013 (What was that?)

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

I'm sorry that my promises of seeing Valhalla in The Back Foot for CSAT forces turned out to be a scam, I will do my best some time in the future to correct this error.

Precious Cargo was nice, but someone shot one of the civilians! Poor poor Issus.

Holiday was also fun. Super tactical, moving around with silencers. I would dread being a CSAT in that mission though, thanks to the experience of trying to go without night vision in Back Foot. I'm curious how this would be on a different island, such as the one with the bridge connecting it to Pyrgos or some similar, more condensed island.

Burn was just weird. I hope that gets worked out fairly quickly, because that was confusing as heck.

boberro

Post by boberro »

Precious Cargo, AAF A1 AR
I was surprised that we (first truck) didn't blow up as a signal for battle. Anyway I got killed 10 seconds after our FTL, when we were climbing the hill.

Holiday, non-americanFOR
Sorry to say it, but it was a terrible mission. One side with no protection, no optics, no light (pitch black mission on an island with not a single lit up place, really?) and no cover vs Tacticool-As-Fuck-Specops with night vision (100m+ vs 2.5m visibility, yay!), silencers and no muzzle flash. 'Murricah!
Probably only way to play it as AAF (CSAT?) is to crank up gamma in the settings, of which I suspect some people.
-2/10, would not ride again. Unlike this one: http://imgur.com/KIij2qF

I'd like to like this mission, A3 just asks for night missions, but idea of pitch-black fight against hi tech enemy is as ridiculous as "Blind Man Skateboarding Simulator 2014 no-sfx edition". Move it into area with some civilization, so specop-for needs to stay in the shadows or add campfires, and it will be a nice mission.

Burn, A1(?) AT

Rub Out, MMG
Enemy seemed to have something against machineguns, as even while having Bravo at the door and alpha in the neighborhood they were shooting at me from 700 meters. That's probably a good thing. I think Alpha lead had no CC, which made communication troublesome, but I made it to the end of the mission for once (which I can't say about Denel, killed in the military base) so I'm content about this one.

Afterparty, Dutch
I started last, 2 minutes or so after the rest. That way I missed the fight for cars, and I was able to move around the big collision.
Third in air, second to finish the race. First to rage quit.
Last edited by boberro on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

The Back Foot:

ALpha 1 Medic.

After a bit of uneventfull scouring about in the beautifull woods bathed in equally beautifull moonlight, I heard that Alpha 2 needed my help. Rushing towards their position trough an open field would expose me, but it was the only way to get there, so I kept my head down. I found two of their bodies, but no Alpha 2. Suddenly, I heard a voice say "On your right, Grizzly!" - startled, I turned my head around, gun raised, only to find out these where the two wounded men I was looking for. Yeah for not having a Widescreen configuration!
Having been patched up, Alpha 2 was ordered to move forward, and I tagged along with them for a short while untill I got other orders (Because nothing is worse then dying alone). Suddenly, the cracking sound of bullets and the flashes of muzzle and tracer fire lit up the area. the "OH SHIT" feeling of being ambushed caught hold, and I returned fire for a few shots before diving off the hill to put mother earth herself between me and the attackers. I peeked a bit, then found out the horrifying truth: Alpha 2 was gone.

Usually I am the first to die under fire. Not today it would seem. Never when I am a medic, actually. Are the hands of the survivor the hands of a healer?

Subsequent missions did involve a lot of running around on my own with medpacks, trying not to get shot, but nothing as eventfull happened.

---

Next was Precious Cargo.
Alpha 1 FTL.

The first few minutes where hysterical, as half my map appeared to be missing and I couldn't figure out for the life of me where I was supposed to go. After a few further hiccups in communication and whatnot, we eventually set up a roadblock so that any rusher wouldn't cmoe trough.
WHen it was obvious that there would be no rushers, Fer ordered us to move up to a few farmhouses and a deserted windmill further up the road, where we were ordered to take cover. Disobeying the orders a little bit, I crawled up to what I considered a great vantage point, and I did not even get shot! After engaging a few enemies, I ordered my fireteam to move up a bit. Later, our AT member took atleats one shot at the IFV which was harassing us, which was rather awesome! However, I got shot by Iceraiser, who was mad that I killed three of his friends.

---

Holiday
For some unknown reason, I spawned in as a spectator spectating a bird :suicide: .

wafflynumber

Post by wafflynumber »

Precious Cargo: Indfor, Alpha 3 Ftl, FLANKFOR

Assuming the form of Lt. Artorious, I took control of alpha 3 as we acted in the rearguard, chilling at the back of the convoy in our open topped truck. When the time came, we advanced along the road on foot, looking at a dam and shooting at ghosts. Soon the order came down the line from SWEDECOM to move to flank some guerrilla scum on a hill, requiring some long distance hiking. We set up next to a church on a hill and opened fird, killing guys all the way up to the loss of the mission!

Holiday: Blufor, Alpha 1 Ftl, SNEAKFOR

Losing Grizzly to the perils of the internet, it fell to medic roe, Lynche and I to enjoy our midnight swim and hunting trip package holiday. Inserting on the northern shore, we quickly gained SPECOPS feels, moving slowly and tacticooly through the forest. We happened upon a house and, after clearing it we moved further south to engage forces that had wiped out alpha 2. We hit silently and without warning, not taking any return fire. We then broke away east to the other coast and moved through some rocks towards the crash site, staying sneaky the entire way.

We arrived after 2 charges had been set off on the wreck, and in our confusion over whether the mission was complete on not, we were jumped. Medic roe bit the bullet and Lynche and I beat a hasty retreat to the sea. Whilst we were swimming, SWEDECOM ordered us to destroy the wreck or die trying. We emerged again, sprinting up to where Roe had been killed and neutralizing an armed bush. I ran down to the wreck, planted and armed the charge and skedaddled, blowing up the wreck and going back to my watery home.

On this mission: This was immensely fun as Blufor, and at the end, remaining numbers were fairly equal. However, the lack of night vision for opfor understandably would make things difficult. My suggestion would be, instead of nerfing blufor, give fireteam leads torches on their guns, would do a lot to level the playing field!

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

A healthy dose of night time with no NVGs.

The Back Foot: Opfor MMG Assistant. MMG and a two-man Bravo 1 (AR & AAR) were sent far South as a BOF. We bumped into EI at ~50m in the trees, engaged, and since we didn't have any nearby supporting elements, made a smoke screen and retreated to reposition/flank (nice move there, Mamuto). We then set up in a bunch of trees and caught the stragglers from that last engagement moving from our rear between us and A1. As we took down the survivors we received fire from far off to the West (and maybe South). Then it was time to move onto the HQ, so we then flanked onto the Southern hill. We did more sneaky flanking than long range BOF, but it worked.

Precious Cargo: Indfor A2 FTL. Being all in the same channel hurt my head when I was responding to ASL over CO directing the IFV, etc. Also, there was so much "EI on the hill" and all I could see were hills. My entire team died to enemy fire while I was ~100m closer to them. More confusion, and then I was stuck walking and couldn't tell whether it was an injury or a bug. Not my best moments. [Also, I was getting worse performance than the COOP we played, Rub Out, but my machine isn't that great (FX 6300.) ]

Holiday: Opfor B1 Reservist. Bravo was guarding the South, with B1 hanging around the chopper. As Alpha took the initial brunt, we repositioned North a little. Mr-Link and I moved along the rocks on the coast to check it out, took friendly fire from stff, so Mr-Link took him out, not knowing. Then I see another, I take down a friendly Bodge. I went to check the bodies, and damn!, they're CSAT. Moments later, a friendly Dabbo pokes up from the rocks above me and takes me out. :suicide:

Rub Out: B1 AR. On the outskirts of town, our FT was sent into the reeds to look for stragglers. We found more EI and paid for it. Lynche and I joined up with the remaining two in B2 and the B medic for the final push on the base.

Afterparty: Connor. The sports cars are ridiculous.

Satire

Post by Satire »

Ok just a few quick thoughts on The Back Foot from me.
  • The terrain was surprisingly good. It looked a bit simple on the map, but Altis has a way of pleasantly surprising you. The walls and low gullyes allow some sneaky movement on what would be open ground in Chernarus or Takistan.
  • We had quite the distance to cover at the start, so we were pretty exhausted by the time we made contact. It might be worth moving Opfor closer, by about 300m. That said, A walk does give Blufor time to get into position. The mission isn't big enough for transport though, so ignore anyone who asks for cars :lol:
  • The "base" itself could do with some more structures. No need to make a fortress, but a few small bunkers, sandbags and camo nets can really bring the place together, giving attackers something to focus on and defenders something to hide it. I also find that if you give people positions to occupy then they tend to stick to them, rather than get spread out.
  • I didn't actually check, but adding chemlights to the loadouts on both sides would be fun.
That said it was a fun mission, nice work!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

RE Back Foot:
  • The terrain is interesting but could possibly be improved by placing a few "Wreck" or other misc. objects to provide points of interest, concealment and cover. The HQ could also be expanded that way.
  • I suggest reducing the RAT to regular Riflemen, as all AT launchers have scopes and (more importantly) NVGs.
  • Currently there's a small bug in F3 that gives CSAT B1 FTL the wrong gear. To fix it change "f_fnc_assignGear" to "f_fnc_folk_assignGear" in it's init.
  • Maybe give the defenders a HMG? If you place it as a static (to be disassembled in mission) you can disable thermals on it.
Otherwise good stuff! Even though you can't hit shit on distance with the Zefir and a RCO :D

Issus

Post by Issus »

Precious Cargo: Civilian Union Agitator

MEDFREIGHT INSURANCE CLAIM FORM

SURNAME: Irascible
FIRST NAME: Rolf
MIDDLE NAMES OR INITIALS: the

CLAIM DETAIL:

One heavily-pixelated Grecian Truck, 2018 Reg, with high mileage and charming retro features, including
  • Low Resolution Camouflage! - for deceiving your enemy into thinking you're from the past rather than the FUTURE
  • Manually Operated Windows! - feel the warm glow of nostalgia (and physical exertion)
  • Useless Wing Mirrors! - no PinP performance hit
  • Sundry Grease Stains! - origin unknown
  • Ergonomic Steering Wheel! - dislocates both wrists when on full lock
Status - Missing multiple wheels; can now function as a colander.

Cargo - Reported as full load of small arms ammo, as well as various heavy and explosive munitions. Upon further investigation this was found to actually be roughly 5 pre-opened first aid kits, with the medicinal alcohol removed and ingested during loading.

PLEASE DETAIL THE EVENTS THAT LED TO THE CLAIM INCIDENT:

Otto the schizophrenic and I were contracted to help some green blokes ship ammo to one of their new bases in the fight against rebels wearing do-rags. As I'm a Sun reader myself, I'm not entirely sure of the ins and outs of this particular global conflict, but I'm fairly sure it has something to do with fashion choices. That said, a pay-cheque is a pay-cheque, and I'm as fond of souvlaki as the next man, so the job was a go.

Otto's personality that day was of a hyperactive Welshman, so as the convoy rolled out I kept him distracted with idle speculation about the motorway services that lay ahead, how long it was until our next union-mandated tea break, and by singing the song of our people.

Unfortunately, the little green men were less than appreciative for our strict following of the highway code by sounding the horn every time we approached a blind bend in the road. I'm fairly sure this was motivated by jealousy (floppy hats with NVGs for the win!), so we attempted to reach out to our employers by giving them a rousing salute as they were ordered off to climb a hill or something. Otto even managed to communicate with one of the men by waggling his head, which led me to ponder if it was possible to submit an invoice through the form of interpretive dance. Sadly, talks broke down soon after, so we showed our displeasure by conducting a sit-down protest in the middle of the road until we got bored and went back into our cabs to play with the illuminated dashboards for a bit.

Soon, Bodgodopolous the Brave ordered us to follow his truck up a hill at high speed, until we started hearing gunfire and people dying horribly all around us. Naturally, I felt this was the time to take a government-advised catnap to keep me fresh and alert, but was roused by a distinct *HISSSSS* and the lowering of the truck to one side. The bastards had shot out one of my wheels! Otto's howl of rage confirmed that he too had been crippled from afar, so we decided to deal with things the only way we knew how; by screaming obscenities and waving our pistols in their general direction.

Clouded by rage, we didn't notice that an AAF AI decided to hide from the bulletstorm in Otto's truck. We wildly gesticulated with our weapons in his face, but it was too late - the army of questionable headwear had deemed us and our trucks to be enemy assets, and were to be destroyed. With bullets smacking into the chassis and another wheel gone, we decided that hiding in the cab was a mugs game and that we'd have better luck rolling down the hillside and away from the fighting. Obviously, the rebels saw our flailing retreat as a threatening gesture, as they fully opened up on us.

In that moment I may have said some things of which I am not proud. However, I still feel that "STOP ******* SHOOTING ME YOU ******* ******* *****" was a succinct yet emphatic summing up of the ROE outlined in the briefing document. Not that it seemed to matter, as the ever-cold and calculating Wolfenswan declared we had "had our chance" and promptly shot Otto in the head.

My mind goes blank after that point. If I had been in full command of my senses, I doubt I would've let the opportunity to do a full Johnny Utah pass me by. As it happened, I came around to see the be-scarfed head of Spitnam trying to talk to me, but the shock had set in so badly that I couldn't hear a word he was saying. Then the world went all grey and fuzzy.

PLEASE DETAIL ANY INJURIES SUSTAINED IN THE CLAIM INCIDENT AND ANY RESULTANT HEALTH CONSEQUENCES:

Multiple bullet wounds to the lower back and upper legs, resulting in a permanent limiting of mobility, and loss of ability to perform any form of strenuous physical activity.
Impact on future job performance - none whatsoever.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Sorry Ice, I'm sure you'd have done a better job than me.

Elsewhere...

The Back Foot: Blufor
Got shot in the dark, first by Wolf, then the enemy.

Holiday: Reservist Bullet Sponge
Got shot in the dark, purely by the enemy this time, which I considered an improvement.

Burn:
I guess you could say that our Goose(-3) was cooked! Amiright? Guys?

...Guys?

*tumbleweed*

Session stats:
Victories: 0
Deaths: 2
Number of times weapon fired: 1
Number of times shot by Wolf when he probably shouldn't have: 2

Denel

Post by Denel »

The Back Foot - CSAT A? AT
Our FT was moving to our first WP (a little ruined building that happened to be occupied by NATO) when we spotted some enemy to the East. I was sat in the open scanning about with my RPG sight when we came under fire from the ruin. My rocket sailed about 5 feet over Fer's head and he dropped me pretty quickly. Must remember these RPGs have a flatter trajectory than in A2.

Precious Cargo - FIA A3 AR
Pretty quiet for A3 apart from two instances; when the Gorgon spotted us and when we took some fire from behind, see below.

Holiday - CSAT Alpha Squad Medic
I'd hidden in some bushes between all of the Alpha fireteams and was waiting for some NATO divers to sneak past me unaware. Needless to say this didn't occur and as soon as I heard grenades by the helicopter I dashed across to the rocks nearby the beach. Hearing some suppressed fire I poked my head up and dumped my mag into two divers at close range before retreating to the beach. Where I was taken out by a diver stood in the water, the only part of whom I could see was his head.

Rub Out - CSAT MMG Assistant
As Boberro said above I survived until near the end when I went fishing for medkits in the HMG bunker with the lone AI survivor inside. The lesson I take from that is never assume somewhere is clear because friendlies have moved past it. Nevertheless I enjoyed having a rifle with an ARCO; makes firefights a lot less frustrating (not a great fan of holo sights).
For Reza our leaders, for Neocron the party, for the people...