[Sun] 23 Mar 2014 (Will it explode?)

How we died (in the future)
wolfenswan

[Sun] 23 Mar 2014 (Will it explode?)

Post by wolfenswan »

33 Comrades faced the horrors of war (and Arma glitches) today. Thanks all for attending and sitting through the strangeness of exploding helicopters!
  • Redbears
  • AirEola
  • Morning Sortie
  • RockPaperScissors
As always, post your thoughts for tonight and share your anecdotes and any video material that will can't be used at court against Tigershark :hist101: Feedback to missions is always appreciated and if you thought "I like the concept of AirEola but this location is TEH SUCKX", then you'll be pleased to hear that a F3-eola mission stub exists, which lets you create a cache-hunting adversarial anywhere you want, without the need for any scripting. :eng101:

boberro

Re: [Sun] 23 Mar 2014 (Will it explode?)

Post by boberro »

Redbears, MAT Assistante
We've lost all rockets on the futuristic Shilka, then we moved on. I had some objections, since I just saw friendly fireteam running over a live (and shooting) enemy, but I was assured that the situation was containe... :commissar:

AirEola, FIA, 50% of A3
A technical, yay! Bodge driving, I jumped on as gunner. We've got one cache to protect, that was surrounded by possible targets, with just two people, but technical! Yay! As we moved into position we found another technical left alongside the road. Two technicals, yay!
After FIA landed near our position, we've lost the cache, and moved north. Bodge joined A2 (and died there) and I hid in the reeds.
(...) dakka dakka dakka! (...) helicopter landing (...) dakka dakka (...) they are moving near the church.
I was told to move into the church. Unfortunately what I understood was to protect the church approach (so I moved to position overlooking southwest) while enemy was already there.
Boom! here goes the last cache.
PS. I'm not sure if I was supposed to kill helicopter pilot, but I regret nothing.

Morning Sortie, A1 AAR
We were dying one at the time, until there was only boberro alive in A1 and I joined A2.
We were dying one at the time...

RockPaperScissors, CSAT A1 AR
Pilots got into the choppa and died. We moved into NATO base: Wolf looking for their tank, me looking for whoever was shooting at him. He had better luck than me, fired a rocket from the point blank aaaaand we've lost.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

flyswatter

Post by flyswatter »

Redbears
A3 made a curve north and approached from the west. We all managed to stay alive and well until we got to the first objective where we sighted a lot of contacts to our north. We met our demise by getting flanked after fending off a surprise attack on our 6. We were painfully reminded of the importance of watching our 360 degrees.

AirEola
A2 with Gaius as FTL moved into the reeds where we suffered our first loss. We continued on to the first stash marker where I planted a charge while the others cleared the area of friendlies. Three... Two... One... :owned: A quick headcount later we realized we were down to 2 :shock: For a second I was thinking I had just blasted my buddy to the limbo channel. We continued towards the next marker when suddenly :psyboom: In the end I managed to blow up one cash and 5 civilians, no friends or foes.

Morning Sortie
We were too slow to intercept the reinforcements but we did run into a lot of patrols on our way. Boberro described it well.

RockPaperScissors
Rock beat scissors. We made a b line to the AAV. The crew made nice with the chopper and we continued to look for the tank. We found it well hid in a garage. After throwing everything the fireteam had at the thing the AAV arrived and blasted away the garage and finally the tank.

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Redbears: B2 AT. After scoring a direct hit on a Marid cruising straight towards us, it decided that I wasn't on its Christmas card list anymore.

AirEola: Indfor Alpha Medic. Mostly hanging out with ASL Dogface. I followed him into town where he mounted a truck and took fire from a technical up the road. I saw him die so I used the truck for cover. Seconds later it vanished so I scrambled behind something non-ethereal. Eight civilians wandered over to me and began staring.

Morning Sortie: A1 AT. Thought I was in hard cover but took a bullet from somewhere far away to the SE. Another early death.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Redbears - A3 FTL : MDeath, flyswatter, Luke

So, i've had some sessions off, and it felt really good to be back! Here to show you all situational awareness done horribly wrong yet again! :jihad:
Tigershark had A3 move around to the north of the hill that the other fireteams would be using.
On approach to our second objective things start going haywire for A1 and 2, and lots of screaming and panicky AT-asset usage made things rather entertaining for us, since we had no visibility to whatever they were panicking over. Suddenly flyswatter asked if there were supposed to be friendlies to the west of us, which there most definitely wasn't. Unfortunately, i'm still not too comfortable with the Arma3 uniforms, so i was a little hesitant, causing some of them to sneak off before we could down them.
Then we got told to get to the houses to the north west of our position, which we promptly did. I watched an unfortunate person from another fireteam get shot right in front of me, and did my best to hit something, anything at all in front of me. We stacked up on the wall and did a good job of not dying. :hist101:

Then we had situational awareness lesson nr. 1. There aren't going to be hostiles to our east right, since we just came from there! :dance: Of course there were, thank goodness for night-time or we'd all be dead by then.
We then got eyes on at least one and a half squad 4/500m out to the north. Which was a good time for situational awareness lesson nr. 2. Since there are so many hostiles out -there-, and since we have such good eyes on, nobody will ever manage to sneak up on us from our north-east right?
WRONG :commissar:
There were like, only 6-8 of them gently lined up against the stone wall to our north east blowing us very much up. Jolly good.

Nice SL'ing Tiger!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Always a pleasure!

Redbears - Bravo SL

After hanging around the airfield for a while waiting for the taxichopper to return, we piled in and wended our way through some hills towards the AO, to join Alpha who had already landed. We started taking some fire as we came in for our approach, but the pilot was able to swing away into a valley and get us landed safely.

Our LZ was just south of a ridge with some windmills on it, and we dug in for a while to engage some enemies who were patrolling there before moving up to capture it. With a good view of the town and plenty of gunfire letting us know how Alpha was doing at taking it, we received intel about some patrols on the road just to our north and moved forward to engage them.

Catching sight of them, we sneakily snuck into the trees to engage, which was successful other than me getting killed. From there I believe the squad moved up into the town, and got massacred. :D

AirEola - AAF (attacking) CO

With a nearly full strength Alpha and a smaller Bravo, I had to search an area around a few small towns for 8 caches, and destroy half of them. The main town in the centre looked scary, so I decided to avoid it and send Alpha to clear the suburb to the southeast, while Bravo landed in the W/SW to covertly take out some of the more outlying caches. Using their Wildcat to scout, they were able to track down and destroy two of them with few to no casualties, so bravo, Bravo!

Meanwhile Alpha sustained contact almost immediately on landing from a technical. it wasn't able to down our chopper but it did give us a run for our money as we advanced into the small town, killing several of us. Wolfenswan's A3 hooked north to hunt it down, eventually managing to neutralise it while A1+2 cleared out the town. Bravo had destroyed one cache, and we also found one in the first area we searched.

At this point we were taking contact from a small farm complex to the north; at the same time our chopper reported that there seemed to be a cache there. As Bravo destroyed a third cache, making the one near us the last one, I called everyone in to assault it. They fought hard and took out several of us, including me, but luckily Bravo aircav landed and solved the problem for us, clearing into the compound defended by just Egg, and blowing it. Victory!

Morning Sortie - MRAP Gunner (Bravo)

Another mission where I died fairly early on. We had to agitate one town, drawing in reinforcements that would be ambushed by Alpha, who set up at a junction along the connecting road. Us and our big gun accompanied Bravo, with us slowly moving up a road into town while they flanked around via a gully.

We took contact soon and repeatedly, including advancing patrols, distant sentries, and even a technical or two, and we were holding our own pretty well -- however, when ordered to return to Bravo, I foolishly sent us across the front of the hill rather than looping around the back of it, which resulted in us taking a fatal amount of fire from the town. BOOM!

RockPaperScissors - BLUFOR ASL/CO

Woo, another mission o' mine! The aim of this adversarial was for each team to cross over into the opposing town and destroy a tank there, with the option of taking an abandoned attack helo and/or anti-air vehicle from in between the two towns.

I had the crew abandon the tank and join our other fireteam to head for the AAV, while me and INinja32 the medic stayed back to defend it. We stole the AAV with no resistance, just in time for the attack helicopter, stolen by the other team, to spool up and try to take off. They got blown up and shot down, leaving us to make a break for the enemy town and try to kill their tank. We arrived quickly, but had a devil of a time actually tracking down the target as it had been cunningly hidden in a garage. At the same time, me and Ninja got engaged and taken out by the enemy's main force, leaving our tank defenseless.

Fortunately my own lack of foresight saved us, as I had only given the infantry regular AT launchers instead of something properly capable of taking out a tank. This resulted in our tank shrugging off the enemy rocket, while we were eventually able to track down theirs and blow it up with the AAVs cannons.

(I'm working on an updated version of this, and shall add futurejavelins along with some other tweaks!).

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Thanks audiox.

I am a little dissapointed in how we handle ourselves at FT level. It seems we are just a 4 guys thrown together and not a team. I sent a FT to clear 2 houses...we lost 2 guys. This shouldn't happen.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve FT cohesion? Movement as a unit. Watching different directions for threats. Covering each other. The workshops help but attendance is low and I only sometime see it put into practice in real missions.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

That's the problem Tiger. When anyone can basically come and play and attendance is optional. Trying to reach the same level of tactical cohesion of the more dedicated milsim groups becomes almost impossible. I think at this point most people know I like to clear buildings xD

Unless of course there becomes a session that is dedicated to a more serious experience. V++? Including training and the workshops. Where it is only open to people that have signed up and have shown real interest. Separate from the open side of FA, which I love. But much more serious and longer lasting in regards to mission lengths. Instead of 5 to 6. Have 1 or 2. Instead of instant death, have a revive mechanic. So even if someone goes down, as long as their teammates work together, everyone can keep playing. This way the more dedicated members become more confident and skilled. Which they can hopefully then use these skills in the other sessions.

Or just make FTL spots limited to people who know what they are doing. It's a tricky one. You either have to limit the current stuff, or create a whole new set of stuff to appease the more tactical player.
The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

WrathzRevenge wrote:That's the problem Tiger. When anyone can basically come and play and attendance is optional. Trying to reach the same level of tactical cohesion of the more dedicated milsim groups becomes almost impossible. I think at this point most people know I like to clear buildings xD
I would disagree - it is certainly possible to prompt good, tactical behavior from our fire-teams and squads without mandatory attendance, because one of our sparse requirements to play with us is "Listen to your superior." Thus, good FTLs and good SLs can easily prompt smart behavior. For instance:
Fire Team Leader wrote:Tiger, you and me set up on the near corners of the intersection and look down the street to our sides. I'll take left, you take right. Wrath, Wolf, cross the street and set up on the corners of the one story house with blue shutters. Blue team crosses the street Wrath, Wolf, you're on security. Tiger, with me to clear the building. I'm going left, you go right. White team crosses the street and enters the building.
And there, you've gotten your fire-team to the building and ready to clear in a nice, tactical manner whether your team members have read House to House or not.

Team members who know how to watch their own sectors or find good firing positions without their leader's specific order are fantastic, but it's ultimately up to the team leader to use their tools properly. The workshops are designed to give team and squad leaders all the tools they need. Strict limits and restrictions like you're alluding to are not on the slate to improve leadership, because we don't believe we need to require people to go to a 5-hour seminar on METT-TC. People are by all means free to study that on their own time, but it's certainly not required to be a good leader.

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

I was simply trying to give Tiger some ideas on how to form better FT cohesion. And to hopefully get other people giving their ideas. I don't want 5 hour anythings xD

So I was told we had to clear some buildings. After clearing one I asked for someone to come with me in case something bad happens. Something bad happens. I peak around the door and my face meets the barrel of a gun. The guy behind me comes in and kills my killer. Otherwise my killer may have killed someone else. The buddy system saves lives. I don't deny it. But it feels like we go into most situations like headless chickens. Because that's what we are. We aren't trained. Nor do we have real life experience. We follow the orders of the man above. We play when we want. And we try our best. Which is what makes most of the missions so fun. But then some others really frustrating.

I don't know why we keep talking about clearing buildings though. Am I obsessed? xD Formations. Sectors. Communication. These bug me as well. When I see someone up someone elses arse I really question their sanity. But like you said Carson, can't force people to be better. You can only encourage it.

"Are Leaders born or made?"
The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"