fer

[Sun] 30 Mar 2014 (Sir, Yes, Sir!)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Holiday
  • Thorn
  • The Back Foot
  • In Denial
A respectable 40 brave comrades journeyed to the future tonight, and the scary thing is that we were rather effective. After warming up in Holiday (where the value of 'warming up' equals: 'scared and nearly blind CSAT reservists triumphed over HS/LD NATO diver types by dint of panic fire and great sacrifice'), we had a truly epic and ultimately victorious play-through of Thorn that lasted over 90 minutes. Then we went back to darkness and fear in The Back Foot, before finishing off with total victory in Bodge's mission, In Denial (certainly the first time I've seen that done). Comrades, I take my hat off to your tactical skills.
IceRaiser wrote:As mentioned during the session, V+ has released a new mod pack, you can get it here.
Next week we are undertaking a test Saturday session so we expect a good turnout from you Canada-do-Americans. Also released is the F2 V+ mission making framework tailored to the new mod pack, you can read about it and get a copy here
As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

Tigershark

Re: [Sun] 30 Mar 2014 (Sir, Yes, Sir!)

Post by Tigershark »

Dannysaynooo....I killed you in On the Back Foot.

For the record, whilst I had NVGs and a scope (a bug left over from an old F3 build) I did not use either to kill you. We ran out of the tree line to flank a house and you simply appeared in the darkness squirming around prone. I shot you from the hip. You'll have to take my word as a gentlemen that you were not shot or located using nvgs or a scope. You were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Holiday
Opfor B2 FTL
We were watching the NW side of the island when the other side of the island started to explode, we pushed around towards the crash site with suppressed fire going off everywhere. Crossing the island interior I heard suppressed fire pingin in towards satire (B1 lead). Seeing a outline moving in the shrubs from that direction with an smg, my AI shouted a diver front so I lit them up. Turns out it probably was friendly, the guys to our North that I couldn't see in the darkness apparently weren't and I took a barrage of suppressed fire managing to alert my FT mates before finally being taken down.

Thorn
A3 AR
This was quite a long mission but after a bit of a slow start things got more interesting. I barely saw anything as we approached the first target - a factory complex and it wasn't until we passed it up the hill I finally saw my first contacts. I added some suppressing fire to aid the other fire teams as all i could see between the shrubs was intermittent movement, then we started getting shot in the arse. The shooter didn't have eyes on A3 though so we moved round the hill and took him out from above before rejoining the squad under fire. Our next area of interest was a ridgeline overlooking the town and a fortified road junction housing a mortar positon. A3 was tasked with pushing forwards off the ridgeline after we had taken out a few targets of opportunity. This went swimmingly for about 10 metres until we started taking grenade and automatic fire, I took two grenade hits but made it to a wall to heal myself up. The fire was coming from a compound bravo was tasked with clearing so we took cover, popped smoke and waited for them to finish their task which allowed us to move up further. Alpha then moved up on the junction with a combination of suppressive fire and bounding movements where I got winged again. We moved in on the fortifications and took out the mortars and bunker before taking out a few troops on the periphery. We were then off again to join up with bravo at the final objective when we heard noise from our rear; "is that.... mortar fire" "Yup" BOOM!. We scarpered for the cover of the building we had just left at the junction on the way I got caught by 3 of the mortar blasts, slowed to a walk before finally making it inside to heal up, Slerbal our AT guy was not so lucky falling before getting to fire his beloved launcher. By this time it was FAK number 4 and medic visit number 2. The rounds finished and we legged it to catch up and converged on the final objective finding it pretty much clear before victory was declared.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Out of curiosity. Did anybody in alpha eventually notice the -second- mortar guy by the crossroad-complex? You seemed charmingly unaware of his presence when i signed off! :D

fer

Post by fer »

audiox wrote:Out of curiosity. Did anybody in alpha eventually notice the -second- mortar guy by the crossroad-complex? You seemed charmingly unaware of his presence when i signed off! :D
Curious. I was C1 FTL and towards the end of the mission I was with Tired Hippo, busy clearing houses by an abandoned enemy technical. It was only after we had cleared the structures and were enjoying a cup of soup by the technical that I noticed it still had a driver. Perhaps the driver thought that by sitting, motionless and upright, he might avoid our attention. Truth be told, for a long time he had. I shot him in the head until he was dead.

This does beg a question: did anyone else run into strangely inactive AI during Thorn, or any other mission last night?

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

A good session last night, with probably the longest/tacticorest mission I've played in A3 so far! Namely...

Thorn - ASL, Wolfenswan commanding

The aim of this mission was to advance from the southeast into a square AO, centred on a medium-sized town, and sloping upwards towards some tall hills in the north. The objective was to clear the town, and locate and destroy some mortar positions. We had two full squads (3 FTs), plus an (I think) smaller Charlie, and plenty of moxie.

We started off by spreading out east-to-west, along the south side of the AO, with Alpha in a right-echelon formation on the right flank, to guard against flanking attacks. We saw contacts far off the north and east, in the hills, but left them alone for the moment. Bounding by fireteam about 50-100m at a time, we moved steadily and safely north, towards the eastern (rightmost) edge of the town.

As we drew up onto the main east-west road at the south side of town, next to large factory compound, we engaged some contacts within it and more up the hill from us. We dug in and secured the road crossing, covering Bravo and Charlie as they moved into the middle and the west side of the town, overtaking the CO who had charged boldly to the front, and hunkered down in a cubbyhole around the middle of town.

We knew there were still enemy patrols moving in the hills and valleys to our north and northeast. Once the town had been secured, costing some casualties in the other two squads, Wolfenswan moved Alpha north along a ridgeline. We moved in a close wedge/line formation that enabled us to quickly hunker down and start returning massed fire when we got engaged by increasingly heavy waves of enemy troops moving downhill towards us, and through the valley to our northeast. Even when we got suddenly raked with fire from an MG to our rear, on a hill about 300m to the southwest, we were able to quickly mow him down and move to a safer position. Wolf ordered us to sweep northeast into the valley, but two more waves of attackers delayed us. Throughout this fairly hectic fight, we lost two soldiers from A1, leaving Iceraiser to take it over that FT.

Once everything had settled down, the other two squads were in position to our south, facing east and ready to sweep through the hills. We advanced along the now clear valley, mopping up a couple of stragglers, then crested in a careful line over a ridge, giving us a clear view over the whole area of low ground the platoon was moving into. As well as several groups of infantry, we saw an MG technical parked on the road downhill. The other, closer squads fired rockets at it and missed; Lord Penney rated his chance of a shot at 80%, and nailed it, after which we cleared out the guard troops scurrying away from the burning wreck.

We spotted the mortar position a few hundred meters to our east, seeming to turn our way and surrounded by many troops. We received some fairly heavy fire, but kept moving across the open terrain, bounding along the network of low walls that criss-crossed it. A3 took a turn to the right and managed a hellish 100m sprint under MG and GP fire, without losing anyone. Moving fireteam to fireteam, we veered left, drawing up onto a low hill overlooking the northeast corner of the target compound. We saw a bunker and troops moving behind it, laying down some strong suppressive fire while A2 assaulted, detouring to the south before pulling up on the eastern wall.

We moved up to join them, breaching into the compound and clearing it out along with an MG in the hills to our south. We found the two mortars, pelting them with grenades and bullets until they broke. At this point we were starting to come under heavy counterattack from the north and east, and in the meantime, Bravo and Charlie had been clearing out the area to our south, between us and the town. We therefore pulled ourselves together and bugged out onto the road leading southwest into town. Just as we got free, we heard the whish-BOOM of mortars hitting the compound. A3 got caught in the blast, but when we ran back to get them, it turned out they had suffered nothing worse than one measly death plus a damaged leg which medic Ardyvee soon patched up. At some point during this time we also lost Iceraiser, leaving A1 with one man.

Once that had been taken care of we ran down to join the rest of the platoon in town, clearing the northeast sector of it on the way. By this point the CO had bought it, leaving me to organise an extraction - I lined everyone up on the south side of town, and set us running south, at which point the mission was called as a success.

Very enjoyable mission, not least due to the excellent work of my squad and the sound, reactive commanding of Wolfenswan. The performance was good as well for the amount of contact we had. I did start to sound a bit like a broken record though with the amount of times I had to ask people for a range of their contact report. Even if it's just an estimate of close, medium or far, this makes it much easier for the SL to decide what, if anything to do about it!

The Back Foot - CSAT A1 FTL?

Switching to an adversarial on a nice clear night, we had to sweep down a long, narrow-ish AO towards a BLUFOR HQ and take it over from a smaller enemy force. Despite it being quite dark and us having no nightvision, we made it into the hills overlooking the town just in front of the HQ safely enough.

However it seems the other team had the same idea as I suddenly encountered a man popping up over the ridge and shooting me in the face. This forward attacking force was engaged and soon wiped out by my teammates, but it did stop them rather effectively. Another wing of our team looped around to one side of the two, wiping out several more of the enemy until only three were left, who scarpered to occupy the place I'd died, sneakily taking out several of us on the way.

Caught at right angles between the two parts of our team, they stayed low and bided their time, even as one half of CSAT opened fire with a barrage of suppressing fire on a totally unoccupied house towards town. After this finished, they started moving towards the CSAT group, but they had started moving as well by now and when they met head on, the BLUFOR survivors were mopped up quite handily.

In Denial - A2? AR, dannysaysnoo FTL

Our understrength Alpha and Bravo squads got sent in separate directions for this assault on Athira and two military objectives to the north of it. While Bravo hooked around to attack the factory from the northeast, Alpha approached the town from the south along the main road.

We fared quite well at first, engaging contacts dug into the town by moving house to house, taking up positions to shoot as the other FT bounded. Despite accidentally tagging danny in the leg in an unfortunate balcony-related incident, I got a few enemy kills as well. Eventually, we lost enough leaders that command of the squad and then the platoon fell to me. Bravo had swept through the factory area, likewise taking several casualties with the medic SuperU taking over; I directed us to meet up together and extract, which Super accomplished with great aplomb.

Random Engagements (afterparty) -- Attackfor FTL/planner

With six of us remaining, we headed to the ghost hotel for a spooooky skirmish on a dark and overcast night. Me, Iceraiser and stff faced off against Head's stalwart defenders, with us approaching from the northeast, then splitting up with Iceraiser flanking south and me and stff hitting the main entrance. We two soon bought it after entering the main atrium and getting shelled with GPs from the walkway above; Iceraiser, suitably motivated, then moved in for the kill, clearing room to room and dodging GPs and patrolling guards before a final showdown with Head, during which he pretty much reenacted this scene:

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Dogface wrote:Throughout this fairly hectic fight, we lost two soldiers from A1, leaving Iceraiser to take it over that FT.
He most decidedly did not. Me and Dannei were A1 and we kept it going until the mortar position, when i got shot in the face going up the stairs in the 2 story.

Aaaaargh. Torn between the compliment of being mistaken for IceRaiser and the horror of being mistaken for a swede. :lol:

Really great writeup though, Dogface!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

What... what craziness is this... WHAT NONSENSE AND FOL-DE-ROL *Bzzzrtchkl, electronic brain explodes*

him

Post by him »

My first Arma game with folkarps. Thoroughly enjoyed having an organised approach, even though I just followed around like a confused puppy and barely saw an enemy despite everyone else apparently shooting at them. Creeping through the bushes for 10 minutes before crossing a road and being mown down in the dark with the rest of my squad (?) was particularly confusing, but entertaining nevertheless. Thanks all. I shall join again.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Welcome to the party him!