wolfenswan

[Sun] 13 Apr 2014 (LOUD NOISES)

Post by wolfenswan »

• Cratesistance
  • Countersweep
  • Manhunt
  • Swampfolk
  • Roomservice
With 40 comrades we faced the perils of war today and - as would be expected from amateur "soldiers" with less experience than a north-korean conscript - we failed miserably in all instances. But in what glorious ways we failed! Post your stories here, so that they might be uncovered by scientists some day in the future to tell the stories of the days that were.

Also, please give feedback on Head's wounding system we used in Cratesistance!

Ferrard Carson

Re: [Sun] 13 Apr 2014 (LOUD NOISES)

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Cratesistance
Deployed as AAF Commander
FIA has returned, and at their helm is a time-lord. Our suspicions lay upon Lord Penney for he is a lord, and only needs to get his hands upon the right watch. Fortunately, no one has told FIA what the right watch is.

Unfortunately, FIA got a generous donation from <<Insert Opposition Party Leader Here to Conform With Your Worldview>>, allowing them to buy up every goddamned chicken in the room watch on Altis. I never much cared for punctuality anyways, so it's up to us to destroy them all! (well, okay, destroy 3 of the boxes and then break for tea)

We were on the edge of the salt flats. In the direction of the caches, to our right was gently rolling hills and plains that could conceal us as we approached in a direct route. To our left: the Almyra Salt Flats, across which approaching enemies can be spotted for miles. Therefore, INTO THE SALTY WASTES GO WE! :hist101:

Seriously though - straight across the flats, then we canted south along the coastline until we reached our drop-off. Alpha's three fireteams spilled out of the truck and began pressing Southwest in a broad line towards Cache #2 where it sat in the middle of the salt flat, like the most enormous pus-filled zit you could imagine growing square in the middle of Rose Byrne's forehead.

Bravo had to sort out some logistical issues - namely B2's AAR somehow leaving his entire combat load back at base. I foisted my mostly-useless magazines onto him and he trundled off, happy as a clam while I waved my pistol menacingly in the background.

Soon enough, Alpha had engaged the enemy around Cache #2, and the fire was sporadic enough that I was confident in sending Bravo off on a deep penetration mission to yer mum's house. At yer mum's house, they uncovered a massive crate of watches that they detonated (along with yer mum's house, but fortunately she wasn't home) and I sent them on their merry, looping way towards Cache #5 some 500m distant. Running simulator? Try marathon sim 2014.

Alpha, meanwhile, was steadily dislodging FIA twerps from their cover, flushing them further and further away until one last bullet sank home and FIA was put out of its rebellious misery. Rebel scum - the Empire always wins.

More to the point: on the AAF side, this mission featured excellent Squad Leading from Alpha and Bravo Squad Leads. Tasked with assaulting forward, Alpha cleared its objectives in a steady, orderly pace, dousing the enemy with fire and maneuvering fireteams forward in the midst until A3 overran the EI position and won the match for us. To the south, Bravo swept through OP El Paso and obliterated a cache on their lonesome, distracted as BluFor appeared to be with Alpha's larger, noisier presence. All in all, this mission rather ran itself after I pointed the squads towards their objectives.

And that's how it's supposed to go! :eng101:

Countersweep
Deployed as Charlie 1 FTL
It may as well have been from World War I. The lieutenant shouts, "OVER THE TOP, LADS!" we crest, and are utterly drenched in machinegun fire as we charge down the almost coverless slope. I managed to duck behind a rock, but Wolfenswan wasn't so lucky. Wiping his brains from my helmet, I tossed his RPG towards Tired Hippo and we returned fire as best we could. When the incoming volleys slackened, I looked back to see that my AR's intestines were also decoratively draped over some otherwise drab rocks. In Charlie, we'd lost four dudes; the platoon had lost a baker's dozen, and it was not even five minutes in.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The situation stabilized even as the CO tactical-blob'd us helter-skelter across the valley. We crested the nearby mountaintop and obliterated an AAF command post, barely managing to squeak out from under the final-protective fire that had been ordered down on our heads. We then continued the tactical blobbage and I was ventilated when I mistook an AAF machinegunner for a friendly (a Mk. 200 sounds like a Mk. 200 sounds like a Mk. 200)

Finally they charged, having been changed from "stationary blob" to "panicky berserker blob" by the pair of IFVs that trundled up from the rear of the valley, parked themselves in their midst, and opened fire, completely wrecking a good number of dudes. The survivors managed to make it to the outskirts of Topolia, dodging artillery shells left and right until one landed square in their midst and vaporized poor, unlucky Issus and Tigershark.

:dance:

Manhunt
Deployed as AAF Commander (again)
What can I say? I feel like some casual oppression and war-crimes today!

Again with highly capable squad-leading from Bravo's Tigershark and Alpha's Mr. Link, our Motorized Green Machine bit into FIA, tore off a huge chunk, and gnashed it to pieces, spraying blood and bullets everywhere. The orders were simple:
  • Bravo, with our HMG Strider, would take position on the hills to the south of the city. Their task was to make a whole shitload of noise, engage anything and everything they could see, and generally unleash an unholy terror upon the town below.
  • Alpha, meanwhile, would sneak past using defilade and tree cover to infiltrate into the city and begin taking apart FIA defenders as they focused on Bravo.
  • Our Recce team was tasked with bird-dogging for Alpha, spotting enemy concentrations and guiding Alpha to either destroy or bypass any strongholds.
The plan worked beautifully - Bravo and their Strider chewed through AAF positions with glee, blasting apart a scout on OP New York (the mountain's primary peak) before machinegunning the living daylights out of FIA's technical, FIA's defenders, and at least one of FIA's officers. Alpha snuck their way into the city and began moving block-by-block, and our scouts managed to find a good position, tensely checking around for any enemies flicking the fire-selector switch near their vantage point.

In the end, FIA was crushed and driven before us, and we heard the lamentations of their goats as we chased down and executed every last one of them.

:commissar:

Swampfolk
Deployed as FIA A2 Commando!
Ah the glorious return of hot Turban-on-Turban action! Err... Hat on Bandana. In the dark. With--
BOOOOOOOOOOM
--lightning. Like, insanely loud, horrendous lightning. I mean oh my god it is striking my ear-drum or something?

We journeyed into the reeds, shooting at barely glimpsed silhouettes of strange be-hat'd and be-bandana'd noggins, trying to figure out who we were and weren't supposed to shoot. I became one with the reeds and mis-ID'd one poor Spitnam, guessed on another target because he was firing at me, and definitively shot a third who was trying to wriggle past my nest. Three feet away. I didn't even have to move to reach over and pull his bandana down over his eyes out of respect.

I only shot one friendly!
(Sorry Spitnam! :( )

Roomservice
Deployed as FIA FAI A2 Commando!
Hat Simulator 2035 II: Electric Boogaloo! This time defending the Ghost Hotel! I fucked up and shot thirdkje in an extremely efficient and brutal manner - having finally gotten into the groove of shooting be-bandana'd people instead of be-hat'd folks, I pressed the trigger before my dim wits could remind myself, "You're on the other team now!"

I did end up slaughtering two fashionless FIA as they attempted to besmirch the receptionist desk with their foul, foul hats, but an ill-timed venture into a first floor hallway led to death-by-grenade.

I only shot one friendly! Again! :siiigh:
(Sorry thirdkje! :( )

All in all, good session. Thanks for hosting, Wolf!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Crocuta

Post by Crocuta »

Manhunt: Indfor B1 Rifleman. I'd just come back from the pub and didn't think anything about it until joining, so decided to pick a low responsibility slot. I was then assigned Strider gunner duties in game. :v: It then dawned on me that last time we played this I was also in a fireteam with Wolfenswan and Aqarius, assigned as Strider crew. This time it went much better than planned. Driving off road and approaching from the East, we spotted a technical on the crest of our BOF waypoint, just South of town.

It only took a short burst at 500m. Soon after, we were engaged by a team hiding in the verge of the road, close to our North. We didn't get them all, but we had other things to do, so advanced to our BOF (read: Base of Distraction.) Another technical on the road in the centre of town got the jump on us, damaging the Strider's hull and taking out FTL driver Aqarius. From that position we saw movement in a building close by which turned out to be the meeting.

The Strider could have probably been taken down with more cunning and aggression. I don't think there was more than one person firing on us at a time.

Issus

Post by Issus »

Cratesistance
Alpha Medic - SL: audiox

Issus: I know, I'll join Ferrard's side. He always comes up with interesting pl...
Generalissimo Carson: You'll be :hist101:-ing straight across these exposed salt flats, for the lulzs. :clint:
Issus: :suicide:

Actually, it all turned out pretty well. Even when a bunch of ammo fell out of our pockets on the drive over.

We were engaged as we approached the first possible cache marker, and there was pretty heavy fire exchanged. At various points different fire teams were pinned down, but others soon manoeuvred to relieve the pressure and on the whole we more than held our own. Audiox decided to test out his theory that "you can't die on your (future) birthday" by charging out into the open plain unsupported, and found the results were in his favour, whilst Tigershark's ballsy flank effectively decided the outcome of the fight.

As Medic, I didn't have a huge deal to do until the end. During the final push, whilst attempting to pick a guy up, Arma teleported me from behind cover and into the view of the Murderer in the Tower. It seems to be a vanilla issue though, and especially frustrating when it warps you into doorways or a team mate's line of sight/fire.

Head's wounding system seemed to work well whenever I encountered it. I didn't try to drag anyone though, which apparently caused other people to have (potentially fatal) problems.

Countersweep
Alpha(?) Medic - SL:Dogface

"Issus, I'm coming up behind!"
-Tigershark, making my dreams come true

Apparently this session's theme was Bloodthirsty Americans Ordering a Charge into the Open, although this time the enemy were a bit closer and had HMGs pointed in our direction. A new plan of “fucking get behind that huge rock" was formulated and executed without casualty, apart from Dogface's router suffering from PTSD and my microphone deciding to mute itself and wait for everything to blow over. Consequently, the following courageous fight up (and whimpering flight down) of the AAF communications hill was a bit confusing as everyone seemed to be ignoring me. :confused:

Communication and connectivity problems solved, we pushed on along the valley in spite of constant fire from the front, and sporadic machine gun attacks from our flanks. As the intensity increased, so did the healing. At one point I was fixing up Fluffeh and Tiger every 2 minutes, and having to constantly scan the tactical blob of survivors for injuries as we dashed from cover to cover.

The lack of decent protection meant there was a fair amount of clustering in the few places where you could safely stop, and it was in one of these places (between two small houses) that the helicopter appeared. I thought we were guaranteed to be obliterated by a rocket salvo, but an unknown AT guy pulled off one of the most impressive shots I've seen in Arma 3, and we were safe!

That's when I looked around and saw the IFV parked next to me. :siiigh:

shishitshitshitshitshitGETBEHINDTHEBUILDINGshitshitshitshitTHERE'SANOTHERONEshitshitshitshitshitWHO'SGOTROCKETSLEFTshitshitshitshitshitGETINSIDEshitshitshit

One benefit to having us all inside a single building is that it was easier to heal everyone. And that there were a whole lot less of us to heal at this point.

Recognising that a charging mob is one of the most irresistible military tactics in history, the CO ordered us forward and, despite heavy losses, I'm surprised that we almost made it all the way to the AAF Officer. I stopped behind a compound wall for some more healing whilst the others continued clearing. That's when Tigershark sealed my fate.

Tiger: Hey Issus! Stay there! I need healing... again
MESSAGE FROM FIA INFORMANT: Your shit is about to get fucked up by the big guns, son
Issus: Um
Tiger: Don't move! I'm making my way to you. Increeeeeeeedibly slowly.
INFORMANT: Seriously. Run, foo'!
Tiger: Now, lay your hands upon me like you have done so many times before.
Issus: Tiger, if you get me killed...
Tiger: ...you'll be covered in glory? Yep, stick with me, I'll make sure your name becomes legend. Sexy legend.
ARTILLERY: Hello! :D

And then we died t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ in separate shell craters. The end.

* Edited to include a slightly less romantic ending, in light of new information from the Party Ministry of Truth.
Last edited by Issus on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fer

Post by fer »

Comrade Issus, that last segment of your AAR post was pure gold. It's been a while since we made anyone an official 'comrade hero', but I'm making you a comrade hero of AARs (this may or may not be endorsed the politburo). The guards are now hanging a print out of your words on a wall in the dacha.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

To add insult to injury (and whatever else Tigershark inflicted on Issus):

Tigershark did *not* die from the artillery that dropped on and killed Issus due to the former's refusal to move/hurry up. He survived that shell and ran away, freshly patched up. Only when he then decided to lie down and touch himself another shell got him.

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Yeah, I have never really commanded such a large Coop before... I happily took the CO slot, only to realize I was a bit over my head as soon as the mission briefing popped up...

The biggest problem I had was that I felt a little... constrained by the size of the AOE, but then again, that was the point of the mission.

Carson, I have to say, you have created one monster of a mission, and I tip my hat to you sir.

Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

Crateresistance - AAF Alpha (3?) FTL
My fireteam was deployed to the northernmost cache (#2), and we immediately took up position in the trees to the west. With my AR/AAR watching from the northern tip of the forest, myself watching to the west, and my remaining rifleman watching the cache itself, I felt fairly prepared. Unfortunately, the AR/AAR were overrrun by enemies, and having seen a group of soldiers moving further east, I concluded that we were about to be under attack from both directions. The two of us made a break for some Arma 3 invisireeds™ in the hopes of being able to ambush and kill anyone who attempted to approach, but I was cut down a few meters short of my goal. Master L made it, however, and waged a fairly successful 1-man war against the encroaching forces for the remainder of the mission.

Countersweep - FIA Alpha 2 AT
I can't say much about this that hasn't already been said, so instead I offer this video. Be careful where you wander, soldier, these hills have eyes. And guns. And helicopters, and tanks, and artillery support. And did I mention guns?

(Working title: The Ballad of Tigershark)

Manhunt - FIA Something Alpha FTL
Discovering we had no AT to deal with the HMG-equipped Striders, I attempted to set up a roadside ambush in the hope of being able to distract the vehicle before falling back into town. Unfortunately, the Strider took the top of the ridgeline, and when I gave the order to open fire anyway, I was the only one to do so, and was immediately cut down by the HMG.

Swampfolk - FAI B2 Commander
Thanks to some unit-designation confusion, B2 was the only fireteam to proceed to the bravo waypoint before assaulting the objective as the other three fireteams moved in from the alpha waypoint to the west. Not that it mattered really, as I was entirely deaf within 60 seconds of the mission starting. It was cool at first, and atmospheric as hell, but it was painfully close, and painfully loud. Also, I question the concentration of lightning strikes for such a low lying area lacking in prominent features. But I digress. Eventually, we made it to the objective area, where I killed one behatted fellow, and fired upon another hiding in the reeds before he turned and dropped me in short order.

Roomservice - FAI A2 SMG
Managing to avoid Ferrard's bandana-slaying instincts by staying behind him at all times, I traded fire with Waffly as he stepped off the stairs to the second floor, and he returned the favor, leaving both of us dead on the floor.
It's not gay if you have combat boots on.

Zergra

Post by Zergra »

Crocuta wrote: Another technical on the road in the centre of town got the jump on us, damaging the Strider's hull and taking out FTL driver Aqarius. From that position we saw movement in a building close by which turned out to be the meeting.

The Strider could have probably been taken down with more cunning and aggression. I don't think there was more than one person firing on us at a time.
That was me. The techical was the onlty thing that could even penetrate the strider.
I thought I was aiming for the gunner

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Zergra wrote:
Crocuta wrote: Another technical on the road in the centre of town got the jump on us, damaging the Strider's hull and taking out FTL driver Aqarius. From that position we saw movement in a building close by which turned out to be the meeting.

That was me. The techical was the onlty thing that could even penetrate the strider.
I thought I was aiming for the gunner
Nope:
[/allegedly]