[Tue] 29 Apr 2014 (This is our Alamo)

How we died (in the future)
Satire

[Tue] 29 Apr 2014 (This is our Alamo)

Post by Satire »

A many thanks to the peak of 30 who joined us this Tuesday night for more fun in the sun (and rain) of Altis. Our missions were:
  • Low Tide
  • Rapid Reaction
  • Climaxing Crusader
  • Random Engagements Guerilla Edition
As always, please leave your AAR's, pictures, videos and feedback here for us all to enjoy. Your feedback is valuable to mission makers and to us as hosts, so please feel free to leave us some!
Mr-Link wrote: 7) SATIRE OP plz NERF.

fer

Re: [Tue] 29 Apr 2014 (This is our Alamo)

Post by fer »

Rapid Reaction

INDFOR CO: Fer
|- M: Toppometer
|- HVT: DanceMoox

Immobilised vehicles are low on my list of places I want to be when the enemy is approaching, so my immediate priority during planning was to relocate everyone to a compound with several characteristics:
  • A central building that could serve as an Alamo.
  • Compound walls to give us a rudimentary perimeter.
  • Open approaches from as many sides as possible.
  • Good terrain for an LZ within the perimeter or adjacent to it.
Since we had been ambushed in a linear town, the map suggested several options; however, the map doesn't tell you the nature of structures: a ruin looks the same as bunker. So I picked a compound at the north end of town and hoped for the best. The building turned out to be unfinished, with holes large enough to shoot rockets through.

:colbert:

Oh well, the compound walls were solid enough and there was a tiny bungalow in one corner that was quickly pressed into service as an executive lounge for our HVT and his minder, comrade Toppometer. There was open ground on at least two sides of the compound. A1 had responsibility for the northern approach, A2 for the south. At the suggestion of my FTLs, a handful of lookouts took up positions in nearby buildings. There was also a patch of level ground immediately to the north: this would be the LZ. My plan was very simple:
  • Adopt a defensive position in this Alamo and keep the HVT out of sight.
  • Rush the helo to an LZ next to the compound.
  • Screen at least 2 of the LZ's open sides with smoke just before the helo touched down (one side was shielded by the compound).
  • Transfer the HVT when the smoke was up and have the helo fly the fuck away.
The helo moved quickly, and it wasn't long at all before I was smoking the LZ and telling the HVT, comrade Dancemoox, to "Go! Go! Go!". It looked like we were going to get the HVT out without firing a shot! Unfortunately, the helo clipped a bush whilst touching down and its engine died (although from where I was watching, it was a cool landing).

Shit. Until that point we had had almost no enemy contacts, but with the helo escape impossible I had to consider making a fight of it or fleeing cross-country. In a bid to buy a little time, I moved everyone northwards, to a larger compound that sat just outside the town. This second location was more sprawling, with containers, worksheds, and an incomplete wall - but at its centre was a two-story house with solid walls and decent windows. This was our Alamo. Again, I assigned A1 to cover the northern approach, and A2 for the south - but A2's FTL missed my initial order and remained near our original compound.

By now, we were being engaged by enemies to our south, who appeared to be pushing up the road and using the buildings (and our smokescreen!) as cover and concealment. A2 did a great job of holding the enemy's attention, even managing to relocate back to our compound at the same time, but the head-on firefight gave us no advantage. Looking east, the side of the hill was uneven - patches of dead ground suggested that a fireteam might ascend to the higher ground without being exposed to fire from the town, so I sent comrade Satire's A1 to do exactly that. Very soon, we were firing on the enemy from his front and his flank, the latter being from an elevated position. This was much, much better.

Unfortunately, at least one, perhaps two, of the enemy hadn't read the memo, and instead had snuck in to our compound from the north whilst all our attention had been on their comrades in the town. I reached the Alamo building just in time to get upstairs and join comrades Toppometer and Dancemoox as windows shattered around us. A1 was sending men back to reinforce our position, but any doubts about the enemy being close enough to beat them to the ground floor evaporated when the first of several hand grenades came bouncing up the stairs. I died on that landing.

However, the upper floor of the Alamo was successfully defended, and our forces went on to eliminate all of BLUFOR. Watching comrade IceRaiser move south, flank and then execute 3 members of the last enemy fireteam was a particular pleasure.

:coolbert:

Feedback on the mission: hugely enjoyable, but INDFOR's extraction helo definitely needs to be delayed somehow. I'd also like to understand what happens to the protection force post-extraction (I don't think we would all fit in the helo), and some explicit guidance on what happens if the helo crashes (as ours did).

INinja132

Post by INinja132 »

Low Tide

B1(?)AR - FTL = Lord Penney/AAR = Head/AT = Homercleese

With 75% of the Dream Team in effect, we headed out with along our waypoints to the North. Pretty quickly we were down to 25% Dream Team as Penney's VON wouldn't work and Homer was partially AFK.

By the time we reached the town we'd engaged a couple of contacts at medium distance, and everyone was back and ready to go. The initial assault went reasonably well for our FT, with Head neutralising the HMG that had been suppressing Alpha, but unfortunately taking a bullet shortly after.

What remained of Bravo by this point cleared most of the Southern edge of the town whilst we waited for Alpha to catch up, and then proceeded to clear Northwards.

Everything went smoothly until we reached the edge of town and began our assault towards the airfield through the Forest of Doom (or Death? Something bad anyway). Aptly named as it turned out, as the three of us engaged many, many targets in the forest. As what remained of Alpha regrouped with us we started getting flanked from some rogue AI to the North. They took Penney down leaving just Homercleese, myself and SL still up in Bravo.

With Alpha's help we avenged Penney's death and moved towards the airfield. As we approached we started taking fire, and as I tried to move around to a better position I got taken out from the airfield.

Rapid Reaction

Blufor A1 AAR - FTL = Lithion/AR = Tired Hippo/Rifleman = Hydra

Our plan seemed well thought out and we pushed rapidly towards the town. Not rapidly enough it seemed as within minutes the helicopter had arrived and set down! We hastened towards its position, and started taking fire from the hills to our East(?). Hydra got taken out by GP fire, and the rest of us rapidly crossed to the other side of the road.

Unfortunately by this time it seemed as though most of the squad was dead, and from my position I was taking fire but couldn't see where from. After taking a few rounds I happened to stumble upon the dead enemy medic! I'll never want for medkits again I thought! Iceraiser then shot me in the back.

Climaxing Crusader

Alpha Medic

Not a terribly exciting mission for me. I hung around near the back, shot some people as they appeared along the ridge line to our South, ran around healing some people and then got shot trying to heal Satire.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Low Tide

ASL A1 : IceRaiser, A2 : Willem, A3 : Fer

We're gonna do this all pro like with wedges and synchronized movement and stuff, and then imma gonna poke my head out next to the church and get shot in the face first, mkay! :laugh:

Rapid Reaction

fer wrote:Rapid Reaction

Feedback on the mission: hugely enjoyable, but INDFOR's extraction helo definitely needs to be delayed somehow. I'd also like to understand what happens to the protection force post-extraction (I don't think we would all fit in the helo), and some explicit guidance on what happens if the helo crashes (as ours did).

BLUFOR CO here. It is definitely possible for BLUFOR to be on top of the immobilized vehicles faster than we were. As it was, we were one building "complex" away by the time the chopper came in for landing, and then i'd been playing it cautious. Any attempt by INDFOR to run to the chopper and extract would not be a definite success, as we had lots of firepower close by.

So basically what you want is to have Tiger as Assault CO for BLUFOR and it'll get hectic. As it was he only got to play Assault Medic. Which led to him finding three INDFOR to the east that my binocs had missed (since i was way too focused on the town to scan the ridges.... :oops: ) whereafter all we could do was shout "doctor, heal thyself". :siiigh:

But yeah. My basic plan was to teleport my fireteams in as close as possible to the town and set myself up on the ridge so that i could guide them on target. Lithion and Willem did good jobs with A1 and 2, and we kept a decent pace. Having total control of the whereabouts of INDFOR didn't negate the fact that there is quite a large gap between the compounds on either side of where the helicopter landed, and i was somewhat at a loss as to how to close the distance to the Alamo. This led to a failed, and for many, deadly charge across open ground, though it seems that we at least managed to get in there and take out Fer, and if you can't win the mission, then getting the opposing CO is at least some consolation.

Climaxing Crusader

Alpha 2 FTL - Fer, tanman24, CodeMonkey

I liked the original plan, since i like it when we try to be fast instead of having to mow down every single AI on the map. Then it turned into a mission where we sat down and mowed down every single AI on the map. :hist101:

It was still fun though, so no worries.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

My charging style helped you win Cratesistance ungrateful mofo. :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :commissar:
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Tigershark wrote:My charging style helped you win Cratesistance ungrateful mofo. :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :commissar:
Which is one of the reasons why i laughed when i saw you charging and told you it was perfectly OK. Instead of asking why you didn't stick around to heal wounded dudes, which was kinda in your job description when you went into a medic slot.

:suicide: