[Sun] 22 Jun 2014 (Cheetah doesn't turn down for anything)

How we died (in the future)
wolfenswan

[Sun] 22 Jun 2014 (Cheetah doesn't turn down for anything)

Post by wolfenswan »

Runlist
  • Inter IV
  • Afternoon Delight
  • Cratesistance (HALO)
  • Inter IV (both attacking)
40 comrades fought today, with the set-piece being the long and at times very deadly Afternoon Delight. Dying to sneaky AI in a ditch is one thing, facing an enemy AA leveling an entire block of buildings is the other. A great display by everyone involved and from my observer's position it seemed everyone got a good piece of the action. The adversarial played were short but sweet nevertheless, all of them featuring a lot of shooting and little down-time. Especially the firefight revolving around cache #2 in Cratesistance was tense!

As usual, leave your thoughts and comments on the session and see you on Tuesday!

Mission-feedback threads:
Afternoon Delight
Cratesistance

Headspace

Re: [Sun] 22 Jun 2014 (Cheetah doesn't turn down for anythin

Post by Headspace »

I want to thank Head for making a spectator script that actually works (for me, at least). The old one, for whatever reason I cannot quite quantify, made me want to shut down my computer. The new one is easy to use, smooth, and a great part of F3.

Snippers

Post by Snippers »

Inter IV
Attackers - Fer's Squad (A2 FTL?)
Our fireteam followed Fer's direction to the town, unfortunately it was quite hard to see up ahead and we ultimately got overwhelmed by the defenders.

Afternoon Delight
B3 FTL (Later Juliet-Medic)
This was a great mission. Fer as B-SL direct B3 to his right and south flank. We initally took up positions on a hill overlooking our first objective, we managed to find and eliminate the first AAA from the hill before moving in. My fireteam here was great and really responsive. We where then tasked with moving into the objective to do this we had to go into a dip in the valley. There were several AI (4-6 I think) at the bottom, in the foliage which killed myself and 3-4 others in Bravo and most of my fireteam perished.
Later I came back in as a reinforcement in the form of the Juliet-Medic. This pretty much involved following Headspace (J-SL), until he met his demise in front of me from an unknown source, so I bolted back to J1 rather than be killed by someone I couldn't locate. At this point as Fer had taken command as (J-1 FTL) I pretty much just followed him the rest of the mission. Until we hit our secondary objective which had the AAA gun next to the construction site. Unfortunately for me I was close to the front and I took cover behind a building thinking I was safe but due to be 15cm away from the building when it collapsed I was killed.

Cratesistance (HALO)
Attacker's (Independant?) A-Medic
For this mission I was attached with AirBlade our team's CO, I didn't get to see much of the frontlines as by the time we were close the mission had already been accomplished. It seemed that the swift speed and attacking from multiple directions took the defenders by surprise and ultimately overwhelmed them. The initial plan was to split the team in half and approach from opposite flanks after our HALO insertation. Though one of the fireteam leaders accidentally dropped his group directly over a cache and was met with little resistance upon arrival.

Inter IV (both attacking)
Independant A2 FTL
With both teams attacking, we pretty went into the town as fast as caution would allow. We made contact as soon as we got in to town, we were forced into a compound and did our best to take cover inside. A grenade flying into the compound killed me outright, as we were stuck in this compound it gave the other team time to flank around and ultimately crush the defenders inside the compound. It was quite tense watching this as indendpent had a numbers advantage after the initial contact but due to opfor's flanking skills it was evened to a 3v3 match. That saw it turn into 3v1 with Airblade beating the odds and killing the last 3 independent players.
Discipline yourself to do the things you love to do when you don't feel like doing them. - Edward James Olmos (Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica)

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Inter IV
DEFFOR CO
It's kind of absurd, planning troop placement in a 400m2 space. Both too easy, and impossible. Anyway, I saw audiox perched on a hilltop, but failed to hit him, while A2 engaged what i can only assume to be a distraction. The main force of attack was spotted and, er, "neutralised" by ASL. By the time A2 and myself reached the southern side, MG and A1 took the full force of the impact, and after some mop-up the mission was called. Good job!

Afternoon Delight
B2 FTL
We stood on overwatch as the rest of bravo advanced into the first compound. The first SPAAG was down, and it seemed like smooth sailing. However, the minute Bravo walked into the reeds, all we heard was sporadic shots followed by sporadic deaths. By the time B2 reached the rest of the team, the squad lost half of it's manpower. The next route of advance was the city. We advanced, healed stff, kept pushing, healed stff, cleared buildings, healed stff, healed stff... By the end of it, the squad was reduced to a five-man B2 and an AWOL medic (sick of healing stff, I guess). So, I stocked up on some 20-odd IFAKs, in case of stff, and took cover in a construction site, staring down a SPAAG some 800-900m away. As Juliet moved into the final yard, the AAA let loose, and so did we. I must say, our RPG marksmanship markedly improved :D . We soon joined the rest of the squad, losing one man to an Ei on the balcony of an improperly cleared building (CO :argh: ). The last AAA was just on the other side, but after shots, RPGs, UGL rounds and even a goddamn lightning bolt, it's destruction took out the very building B2 was stashed in. Miraculously, no deaths :lol:

Cratesistance (HALO)
Whoever ran this as INDFOR, good job. You should've waited some 20s more for hilarity, though. When the fight down south began, I was mid-sentence, about to order BLUFOR to remount and move north :v:
[/allegedly]

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Inter IV - Attackingfor A1 FTL

Moved with ASL Fer up onto a rise with rocks, began to pour in some suppressing fire into the town, took a hit and stuck on a hello kitty plaster before shooting some more and asking Wolf who was behind me to kiss it better. I died before he could move from another bullet.

Afternoon Delight - A1 AR

Comrade Host IceRaiser was kind and gave me his MRCO scope from his rifle, with this my old eyes were able to see things and I pewpew'd a the enemy fireteam walking towards us. We cleared the first compound without enemy contact, that said from the first floor of the building site I did see an enemy AA vehicle fly some fifty feet into the air blazing a trail of fire behind it. Once the fireworks show was over our team moved to the east side of the compound and waited at its curtain wall. I was then shot by some knuckle dragger in Bravo..

I was then reincarnated as a future BTR commander and tasked with transporting Juliet reinforcements in. Giving supporting fire as they advanced. Being perma-turned in leads to limited situational awareness, we were engaged by another AA vehicle over 1k away, after a second brush with it we managed to work out where it was and what it was. One Titan in its face was satisfying. As Juliet moved into the final compound we moved up to support them. It seems Bravo didn't notice the last AA vehicle and it began engaging us, Juliet and the series of structures between it and Juliet. My FPS tanked to 3 and stuck at that the entire time I was kicking Cookie in the back of the head shouting "REVERSE". Once my FPS got over its magic number obsession I was able to spot the AA vehicle (cunningly disguised by a tree) my gunner loaded AP and we started to fire, it was around then that Thor got in on the action and Bravo had structural issues.

Something to remember when playing on a long large scale coop, remove old map markers, they cause a lot of clutter. Once a threat is gone remove the marker so old muggins here doesn't have to reply to Fer's question "do you see the Stryder mark" with "um, which one?" Also check your targets, I get most upset when I'm friendly fired and you don't want me to be upset :zoidberg:
ramming speed!

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Inter IV
B2(?) Rifleman

Not much to say, our fireteam found that our initial position was in a depression and so we weren't quite able to pew-pew effectively into the village, so we shifted over to where Alpha was assaulting and I died taking cover on the outskirts of town.

Afternoon Delight
B1 AT

As Bravo 1 AT the main highlight for me was finishing off the SPAAG, the other Bravo callsigns had put AT into it but it still wasn't quite dead so I put an AT round into it and finished it off :dance: once that was done we started to move down into the valley, B3 was already in the area and had been engaged, so as I moved through the area I spot two guys looking at me - I didn't fire straight away as B3 were in the area - the two guys however, were not B3.

The game was running the re-spawn system (which, for larger/longer Coop missions I approve of) so I came back in in Juliet 1, we secured the southern side of the first town and then moved towards the next SPAAG position through the reeds so as to approach it from the south, we secured the southern area of the compound and then found ourselves coming under a fusillade of AA that levelled everything in Alpha and Juliet's area.

Before the remnants could attack the SPAAG position inside the building site, Bravo took it down along with the rest of the building site.

Cratesistance (HALO)
Indfor A2 FTL

So for a change of pace I became a FTL on the attacking side - we were going to HALO in, so we dismounted the trucks and once the option was enabled... ...well the chartered flight that was supposed to drop us off with A1 North East of Obj.1 over shot the target and deposited us a few hundred meters North West of Obj.4 - the other side of the battlefield to A1. I've submitted a formal complaint regarding the pilots mistake.

(I think what happened was I clicked the HALO option and then reflexively I dragged the map with my left mouse button - which then deposited us where I clicked to drag :siiigh: )

Once I'd got orientated and advised the CO that we'd overshot the LZ ever so slightly - we were tasked with hitting Obj.4 so I decided to move south and clear out the compound before using the reeds to cover our advance on Obj.4 - as we moved south one of the chaps in my FT spotted the objective to our South East, so we shifted east a little and found a nice slightly elevated position about 150-100 from the Obj.4 I decided to set up there and my FT pretty much wiped out the AI loitering around. We charged in and found very little remaining resistance so we threw down a charge and bugged out blowing up the objective.

With that done we were re-tasked with supporting A1 so we started moving South East and they took out their objective before we could really move too far so I elected to move south where we'd be in a better position to support B1 and A3 or to move out elsewhere depending on where the CO wanted us but not long after that they blew up the last objective.

On the whole a very fast paced and rather confusing time as a FTL. \o/

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Inter-four
Deployed as DefendFor Medic
We opened our eyes and blinked against the blinding fog - not that it was dense, just that sunlight was streaming straight at our eyes through it like whiteout conditions in Antarctica. Alpha girded itself for the fight to come by... more or less standing where we were. Not much to really do but stand there when the AO is barely a hundred meters across.

The terrain lent itself to a fairly obvious approach. Surrounding the town was a small, coverless hillock to the north; a wide kill-zone of a valley to the East, Southeast, and South; a modest amount of defilade and concealment between that killzone and the town... and a massive, massive ridge 300-400 meters to the west.

So as Alpha Squad and the MMG team nestled themselves into the nooks and crannies of buildings, primarily watching to the east, I settled myself between a pile of pipes, a rock, and a friendly, concealing bush, fixated obsessively on that ridge. Even as squad-sized contacts were called to the South-East, I persisted in watching the ridge with eagle eyes, and my persistence was rewarded. "Yep, they've got a spotter up there." Half a mag convinced the bird-dog to hightail it back over the ridge and out of sight, and I played whack-a-mole for another few minutes, tossing lead in the spotter's direction anytime I saw something so much as twitch up top.

And then ASL bought the farm for twice asking price, and Alpha 1 fell back into the inner town. Along the way, Alpha 1's AR halted, crouched, by my rock. I wriggled over to poke him with a syringe, and suddenly found myself teleported to his far side, completely exposed and away from any cover, concealment, or prayers. Cursing the lack of an animation cancel the whole while, I miraculously escaped without a scratch even as bullets barreled their way past my noggin. After a panicked dash across the street, I holed myself up in a half-demolished house, staring back at the buildings whose deeds ASL had recently acquired.

Again, my patience was rewarded, as a dastardly AttackFor head popped up and stared at me. A burst of 6.5mm splattered his brains all over ASL's new property, doubtlessly devaluing it quite a bit until we can afford to get a good sand-blasting service into town.

I tossed out a smoke to mark the enemy's location, and some newly emboldened members of Alpha Squad pressed forward on the left while the MMG looped around on the right flank along some walls. A katiba rang out, the MMG responded, and victory was declared!

:jihad: :jihad: :jihad:

Afternoon Delight
Deployed as APC2 Driver
Could be summed up as, "Driving is really crap if you're stuck in letterbox mode and don't have a commander." Lacking a good grease pencil, I was unable to copy several of the markers command laid down for the APCs to pass through (read, I had to rejoin due to a client error, and thus didn't copy any of CO's map markers). Even worse, my hatch was welded shut! The Commander's seat was even lined with enough wicked-looking spikes that neither Zergra nor I dared to sit in it such that we could reach the "unweld all hatches" switch next to the Commander's periscope.

So, I was stuck in letterbox mode the entire time. Thankfully, APC1 had copied the markers, and was good at navigating by dead reckoning (or maybe someone was navigating for them). After following APC1 for a fair distance, we found ourselves on a nice vantage point, creatively titled, "AP2".

What follows was an extended sequence of me hopping out of the APC to get a good sense of the surrounding terrain, then climbing back in to maneuver the APC hull-down in support of the infantry around us. Nestling the metal beast behind rocks, cozying up to the sides of small-ish molehills such that Zergra could barely see above the grass. All in all, APC2 did fairly well operating more or less independently of the squad lead. We were even able to support a single fireteam as they cleared terrain several hundred meters away from the rest of the squad (???).

Where things messed up is when I started receiving micro-level commands, right about when Zergra suffered a brief concussion and came back a little... slow (he lost connection and my gunner turned into an AI). All of a sudden, I found myself rolling directly across the front face of a mountain in support of Alpha 3 with Alpha 1 ensconced in back. The order was for me to charge to the forests at the base of a hill (atop which was a town of interest) and disgorge Alpha 1 there. Then I was told to stop and turn back... whilst mid-charge. The Marid careened and canted onto its three right wheels as I swear I pulled a handbrake turn in the multi-ton APC. I deposited Alpha 1 behind cover in a compound, miraculously having not drawn any fire during those high-speed antics.

My luck did not last though: A few rifle shots whizzed past my ear - in other words, the dreaded Tunguska had spoken! [ed. note: We know it's not actually a Tunguska, but screw A3's fake names - it's a SPAAG with missiles, so it's a Tunguska to me]

I desperately angled for cover, but the Marid came to a screeching halt mere yards away from the relatively safety of a concrete structure. I bailed and dashed for cover, only to nearly take a cannon shell to the face.

Scrounging my now deceased gunner's medkit and grabbing a Mk. 200 off a nearby dead dude, I wandered over to Alpha in a daze. In a fit of rage over the loss of my sweet pimpmobile, I slaughtered an autorifleman who tried to sneak up on us, and nicked every last one of his spare boxes of ammo. In the town of Kerry's F***ing Fuel Truck, I met my demise as I cleared up a stairwell that Bodge was already clearing. He shot into a wall-- through my noggin, and at long last, my time had come.

:psyboom:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."