Tigershark

[Sun] 29 Jun 2014 (The Hand of Zeus)

Post by Tigershark »

Missions:
  • Idiots
  • A Friend in Need
  • AirEola
  • Climaxing Crusader

Awesome turnout tonight and great performances by all. Thanks for slotting quickly and for your patience during slotting. Nice balance of coops and adv tonight. Plus the testing of a Zeus puppeteer mission....which needs some tweaking..but this is what playtesting is about. Great to see so many new faces!

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU's FA doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Halop

Re: [Sun] 29 Jun 2014 (The Hand of Zeus)

Post by Halop »

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Idiots
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader

In we dropped, we merry band of silenced-weapon equipped fools. We soared through the air, graceful as eagles, only for Waffly to crash headlong into me mid-air, wrenching my leg! (ouch). Once on the ground, my personal physician splinted the damn thing and I rallied the squad to assault and clear a hilltop. Alpha 3 to the south ambushed and slaughtered a patrol, a move copied cleanly by Alpha 2 to the north - we pressed downwards into the town, taking sporadic fire until we came upon an empty hunter.

Deciding that fireworks were in order, we blew it up and garnered the attention of the entire town. Surrounded by enemies, we traded fire and inexorably pressed southwards until the entire squad was me, my medic, and one lone survivor. Together, we detonated the HQ APC in Orino, only for one of us to get picked off by an enemy across the road. I attempted to avenge my dead comrade, only to take a bullet to the noggin for my troubles.

In the end, though, Charlie's sneaky actions and Bravo's uncontested actions carried the day, with our suicidal aggression having drawn off so much attention that the entire rest of the operation went off flawlessly.

A Friend in Need
Deployed as BluFor Alpha Squad Leader Commander

We load in, and instantly an artillery shell lands right next to us, and TH3 is a smoking pyre, with CO's roasted corpse inside. I wonder where we've seen that before... (seriously, stop pre-mounting choppers)

Regardless, we take off. On the fly, I altered MadToaster's plan somewhat, in that the Transport Helo loitered within the AO, able to respond faster to intel from our Pawnee attack-helo pilot. When Gekke finished his primary route reconnaissance down the main road without spotting the convoy, I split the AO, sending Gekke's Pawnee north and Zitron's GhostHawk south.

And right outside the southern edge of the AO, on the far side of an entire range of mountains from where InOps had told us they would be, was the convoy. They'd apparently taken a 10+ kilometer detour on the way to the market.

Taking sporadic fire from CSAT dudes already pressing inwards, we landed the squad on the far side of the convoy from them, with me sliding behind one of Zitron's miniguns. The next big development was a foolhardy assault by OpFor's lone MRAP, charging forward across a dinner-plate of terrain. I laid down a few bursts of fire to dissuade them of their kamikaze notions, but they couldn't be dissuaded, and a FIA rocketeer soon sent them off to Valhalla.

Meanwhile, our two fireteams bounded across familiar terrain, seizing the ridgelines above the convoy while I watched an entire OpFor squad make for a nearby, walled-in two-story house. Zitron flew me in close, and my minigun spoke (very inaccurately) and splooged oodles and oodles of bullets into the general vicinity of the OpFor Squad, turning their two-story house into half-story rubble. A second, smaller wave of OpFor-ian infantry prompted me to perform the same magic trick on an imposing-looking, but flimsy warehouse immediately to the south of said half-story rubble. "Watch as I make this infantry squad's cover... disappear!" In the meantime, Gekke's miniguns slaughtered entire teams of our foes as they attempted to sweep through to the convoy.

However, enough CSAT forces had squirted through the avalanche of minigun fire to more or less fight BluFor's two fireteams to a standstill, with CSAT standing firm on the convoy's wreckage. An eye-in-the-sky UAV relayed to us that they had even begun to rifle through the boxes of NATO armaments. This couldn't be allowed to happen, so Zitron took up a close orbit of the convoy site itself, and I sprayed an endless stream of tracers down onto any poor soul who was attempting to examine our crates of guns and ammo.

It worked - CSAT was unable to catch enough peace and quiet around the crates for them to gather sufficient evidence of NATO's involvement before one last FIA or NATO bullet sank home and ended the mission in NATO / FIA's favor.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

AirEola
Deployed as BluFor Alpha 2 Rifleman

Under Headspace capable command, Alpha 2 briefly took up station in a very ill-positioned set of buildings near our cache, only to see IndFor land due north of our position. Determining that it was suicide to cower in buildings with terribad lines of sight in the shadow of a massive, commanding hill, Headspace instead led us up onto the hill itself, where we lay down as one and opened fire as one, laying a withering storm of lead down upon an AAF squad as they attempted to approach the city.

Having achieved total fire-superiority for Alpha 1 and our technical to begin maneuvers, Headspace pulled us off the hilltop and back down into the city where we could join the attack. Alpha 2 swept forward, me darting off to the side to come at the enemy from an off-angle, and it worked. A pair of grenades and a magazine's worth of suppressive fire got me to the walls of a thoroughly ruined house, and I peered into the ditch behind it...

Only to see a dude in a digi-cam Fritz helmet staring intently down his sights off to my right. Blessing my enemy's glorious tunnel vision, I lined up a shot in a leisurely half-second, aimed slightly above his head because we were literally a yard-apart, and pulled the trigger once. Turns out, even ArmA 3's pea-shooter 5.56x45mm is an insta-gib when applied directly to the enemy's forehead. His more attentive comrade filled me with six different kinds of lead in return, but my task was done and I retired, having killed Rook and MisterKoz to my satisfaction.

My one-man assault paved the way for the rest of Alpha 2 to sweep through the ditch, slaughtering the last of the defenders, only for other FIA to start firing at them. "There's too many!" some comrades were heard to be saying, and they fled tactically advanced in a retrograde fashion from the ditch that was firmly entrenched by precisely zero (0) remaining AAF.

:laugh:

Climaxing Crusader
Deployed as Bravo 2 Autorifleman

On the far left flank of our maneuver, Bravo 2 swung through a good number of minor bounds only to suddenly stumble across the enemy as they crested the hill not ten (10) meters in front of us (!!!). As we dealt with this, new contacts sprang forth from the buildings to our unguarded left flank, which we then moved to clear. I barged in one door to find a single dead body in that half of the building. When I opened the interior door dividing the house in twain, I was greeted face-to-face by an angry OpForian dude shooting the doorframe next to me. I clamped down on the trigger and sprayed bullets into him, swinging my b(r)oomstick around the room to meet his panicked buddy, but we traded bullets and both died in that room.

Still, I maintained my positive K:D ratio! That counts for something, right? :owned:

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Idiots
Was 10 minutes too late to this one.

A Friend in Need
B1 FTL w/ SethroTull, Wires, Tom
Original plan for Bravo was to take the town to the East of the convoy and then push West and secure the goods. My fireteam pushed through the reeds and under the bridge when we heard gunfire in the town. We swept a few buildings, killed a few AI, including a few flankers (glory to Zeus, that was intense). I then pushed us as far forward as cover would allow. To our West was all beach and a small hilly outcropping of rocks to the south of the convoy. I had Bravo 1 charge across the beach trying to stay in defilade. Gotta say, it was pretty cinematic as a rocket impacted not 50 meters to our right and enemy choppers buzzing by overhead. However, we made it to the rocks unscathed. As I looked out to the Northwest, I saw enemy troops charging Eastwards over open terrain and ordered my dudes to light them up. We must have done some damage, as smoke was popped out there and people stopped charging ( :laugh: ).
And then the fucking choppers tore us apart which kind of pissed me off as we had no effective way of returning fire on them which in my mind is not very good mission design. Sure, MRAP, but when, not if, that goes down, we're done. The AT rifleman slot was just a basic rifleman on a fireteam level and I don't believe we had any MMG/HMG. Either give us another option to mitigate the threat or tone the threat down. Ferrard on a Vulcan cannon is scary, okay? :cry:

AirEola
A1 or A2 FTL
Ferrard, that was you on the hill? I took my fireteam to flank your ass but by the time we got there you were already assaulting the rest of Alpha. Well played, Headspace, well played. We basically lost this mission on a tactical level, we split up our squads into two elements that could not support each other, basically creating two missions for us and negating the attacker advantage of higher soldier count. Now, if we had Bravo up on that hill as Alpha flooded the city, things would have gone very differently. I really need to command one of these adversarials soon :bang:

Climaxing Crusader
MMG Assistant Gunner under SethroTull
I had an interesting experience of trying to spot enemies for my MMG Gunner and ended up getting more kills than him. I hope we both learned from this experience (and man I wish we could set bipods up on rocks) Overall a very intense mission and I died charging valiantly to save my comrade who was bleeding out only to collapse, dead, next to him. What a way to end the night :clint:

Pleasure seeing new faces!

Snippers

Post by Snippers »

Idiots
B2 - Assistant Automatic Rifleman
Under Wolfenswan's fine command B2 regrouped at our LZ mystified as to where our backpacks had gone during the jump. We advanced up to an observation point and dug in, observing enemy patrols waiting for command and our squad lead. Several enemy helicopters flew in and dropped off troops around us, we overwatched Alpha as they pushed up before Bravo moved up. Once in the treeline overlooking our objective we encounted several enemies and engaged several hostiles, unfortunately Delta one of B2's members perished during this time. We eventually moved in and out again, but it was mostly uneventful.

A Friend in Need
AAF - B3? - FTL
In this mission we assaulted several caches. We made contact and eliminated several FIA as we bounded towards the objective. Our fireteam was the point fireteam for our squad as we came upto the final hill overlooking the caches, unfortunately for us there were several FIA on this hill, immediately before I died I called in the contact.

AirEola
AAF (Attackers) - B2 - FTL
In this mission we assaulted the caches. Our fireteam flew inside the Mohawk to the south east of our objective, we were dropped several hundred meters from the rest of our squad. We advanced towards the town staying on the right flank of B1, but we were still far away as directed by our squad leader, we made it to within 100m of the city, and during this time we lost comms with B1 and we lost a guy (Delta) and it became apparent that most of the AAF team had been eliminated, we proceeded into the city bypassing the enemies holding the cache area that B1 had assaulted. We successfully searched one of the areas but all we found were wooden crates but alas depriving FIA of construction equipment was deemed not worthy. We came across an abandoned technical and raided the first aid kits to patch everyone out. Here we were with a helicopter and my fireteam of 3 people left the odds were not looking so great. We moved into the cache area where B1 had died from the rear, but did not encounter defenders, I found a cache and placed a charge on it. as I was falling back I got eliminated by someone on a 2nd floor balcony overlooking the cache that I failed to spot :(.

Climaxing Crusader
B2 - Assistant Automatic Rifleman
Here I served as Ferrard Carson's red-team buddy with Fer as FTL and Tired Hippo as our RAT, this was probably the mission I personally most enjoyed. I have taken of the best bit from my point of view and uploaded it (I was testing recording with shadowplay during the session):

After the events seen in this video, We engaged multiple enemies at the airfield with several kills. Though ultimately running down a valley into incoming fire is risky business and I paid the price dearly.

Afterparty - GoKarting
Comrade, did you hear about the celebrations after the glorious party-hosted gokart race? you may have seen a screenshot, but what if you wanted a video? Look no further Comrade. Look at the intensity of Fer's delight at the carnage, surely this is what is coming for the enemies of the Third International Fighting Brigade of Takistan.
Discipline yourself to do the things you love to do when you don't feel like doing them. - Edward James Olmos (Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica)

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Mamuto wrote:Ferrard on a Vulcan cannon is scary, okay? :cry:
Ironically, I didn't actually end that mission with any kills despite expending some 2500 rounds of ammo, though I did achieve my goal of keeping y'all from running down the crate-timer. Apparently I did cause two deaths indirectly by collapsing a building on two guys who got stuck wounded under the rubble.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

zitron

Post by zitron »

Ferrard, on my statistics it says you killed Fer!

Issus

Post by Issus »

Idiots
B3 Infiltrator [FTL Syrion; Homercleese; MisterKoz?]

B3 got tasked to land in the far south west of the AO, which made for a peaceful descent but also placed us smack bang in the middle of a flat expanse. Picking our way from cover to cover, we marked enemy patrols on the map and hunkered down in some nearby "houses".

Homer pointed out to Syrion that these structures had, at best, one intact wall between them, and that even calling them "ruins" would be generous. Sitting in his ivory tower (aka Ireland), Homercleese callously failed to realise that FA is open to members from all geographic and socio-economic backgrounds, and that maybe in our FTL's experience this property was less a pile of rubble and more of a suitable aspiration for a middle-class family of four.

Homer's subsequent point about how unlikely it was that someone in the grip of poverty would have the means to play Arma 3 on a high-speed internet connection did have some merit (as did Syrion's repeated protestations that he was American), but I maintain I was correct in principle! If not in, y'know, actual facts.

Anyway, such conversations helped pass the uneventful minutes as we sat on our bums waiting for Alpha to do something. When that "something" turned out to be explosive, we were thrilled to see a flight of helicopters appear from the east and disgorge troops right in front of us. However, our dreams of an expertly-coordinated takedown soon evaporated as we expended magazine after magazine at the panicked enemy soldiers running back and forth like headless chickens, in a way that I would describe as "unrealistic" if I hadn't spent most of the last two years doing exactly the same. Alas, I could only ever be called an "operator" in the "carnival ride" sense.

Eventually the EI all died from heart attacks and, with the chopper now circling us like a lovesick puppy, we decided to head on in. Shot a few more dudes as we went, which allowed Homercleese to add to his watch collection and pick up some AT, and we then watched BSL glory-charge the uncleared hill to our west and stumble upon a sleeping Cheetah.

"I'LL GET IT IT'S MINE I SAW IT FIRST HANDS OFF" hollered our newly-christened AT man, eagerly whipping out his enormous virgin weapon. Unfortunately, like so many first-timers it failed to have the intended effect. Two rockets in and the AA-vehicle still stubbornly intact, Syrion ventured forward to apply the finishing satchel. "NO WAIT I GOT THIS" was the cry as the third rocket hit its mark, leaving us with an exploding wreck, a barn suddenly full of presumably-deaf EI who had just realised we were right outside, and our FTL dead on the floor. I'm fairly certain that Syrion perished at the hands of the shame-faced AI soldiers, but as I was face-down in the dirt at that point, I neither knew nor cared. Victory!

A Friend in Need
AAF - B3 [FTL Snippers; Iceraiser; ?]
No much to say on this one. Followed Snippers up the hill only to see him get taken out by an unseen AI. Got my head blown off when I hit the wrong key and stood to attention in plain view of the enemy.
:siiigh:

AirEola
FIA Bravo Medic [BSL Homer; B1 FTL Satire]
Bravo was given the south-eastern caches to defend with two fireteams and a technical crewed by a two-man B3. As our caches were further apart than those guarded by Alpha in the north, Homer split the forces -- B1 and BSL would hang around the southern city, while B2 and the technical parked up in compounds along the north-west road, which would give them the option to hold, retreat or reinforce as needed, especially as B1's position was so close to the edge of the AO that it seemed likely we'd see action first.

We weren't wrong. I was on my way to fix up an arma'd member of B1 when the helicopter landed outside of the town. Alternating between healing and shooting, I took a few potshots at the advancing troops before leaving B1 to reposition and taking up a place overlooking the cache location (cleverly hidden by Homer under a truck). A fairly intense firefight followed, with the technical reinforcing our position and expending all its ammo at the attackers before being abandoned. Hearing voices around my position and concerned about getting flanked, I cautiously cleared the surrounding buildings before going to check on the remaining member of B3. Eventually, the shooting stopped, and Satire started counting bodies - 7 dead AAF in exchange for 2 or 3 of our own, including BSL ("He was so young!"). Deciding to camp the cache in case there were any survivors, we settled down to await news of Alpha's victory to the north.

And then:

*BLAM BLAM BLAM* Dan?! Was that you? Dan? Dan? Dan? Dan? Dan?!? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! *BLAM BLAM BLAM* EI close! I just got one! *BEEP BEEP BEEP* SOMEONE JUST PLACED A SATCHEL! GET TO THE CACHE!

Peeking out from my first-floor balcony, I spotted Snippers nonchalantly strolling away from the cache with the look of a man who is about to make a big explosion. So I shot him. AND THEN HE VANISHED.

Issus: Satire! I just shot a guy by the cache but... he just warped through a wall!
Satire: ...well, shoot him again!
Issus: You don't understand! He just disappeared! How are we supposed to win if they're using magic!?
Satire: Where did he disappear?
Issus: That wall over there, just above the... just above the AAF soldier writhing on the ground.
ISSUS SHOOTS SNIPPERS IN THE HEAD
Issus: Um, yeah, it's probably best if you just ignore everything I say from now on :oops:
Satire: Copy that.

And then it ended.

PS: Apologies to Homer, as I was having VON issues in that last mission. I'm sure at one point I answered "...no?" to a question I couldn't quite hear. I feel guilty, even though I'm sure it was something like "Issus, come heal me!" or " Issus, please tell my wife I never really loved her!" or something else equally unimportant.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

Ferrard Carson wrote:
Mamuto wrote:Ferrard on a Vulcan cannon is scary, okay? :cry:
Ironically, I didn't actually end that mission with any kills despite expending some 2500 rounds of ammo, though I did achieve my goal of keeping y'all from running down the crate-timer. Apparently I did cause two deaths indirectly by collapsing a building on two guys who got stuck wounded under the rubble.

~ Ferrard
You killed three of us in Bravo 1 by causing us to bleed out. And you incapacitated the two other guys at least 2 times as we ran out of FAKs. So yeah, you have at least a half dozen of murders on your bloody hands. You monster.

Inverselaw

Post by Inverselaw »

Idiots
CO

Oh look Inverselaw spread out his troops, also, water is wet. So since the squads were spread out I had little coordination work. Mostly just managed the spotter UAV. I was quite proud of sneaky sneaky Charlie achieving its mission with 1/3rd the strength and I ordered them to guard Alphas flank only to spot a hostile fire team running in front of us. When I saw them open fire on alpha I immediately ordered my medic and operator to fire to try and save them, at which time i was promptly shot.

A Friend in Need
A2 or B2 AR OPFOR

They came from... The Reeds!

AirEola
A1 FTL INDFOR

They came from... Also The Reeds!