[Sun] 28 Sep 2014 (99 problems but a beach ain't one)

How we died (in the future)
fer

[Sun] 28 Sep 2014 (99 problems but a beach ain't one)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Beachfront Property
  • Surf Athanos
  • Edna SE
  • Swept II (as coop)
After-Party:
  • Racethunder XL
Tonight saw 40 brave comrades arrive in support of the Party; and by Party I mean, of course, beach party! All of our missions featured beaches or beautiful beachfront neighbourhoods. It was as if the Party had chosen to re-shoot Baywatch, but with all the action transplanted to Altis and much more death. Thank you to everyone who came along, and especially to those of you who stepped up to take leadership roles - it's much appreciated. Special welcome to the new faces and returning comrades. For those of you who're new or haven't played with FA for a while, we're especially interested in your feedback on tonight's session - so please don't be shy! Lastly, special thanks to comrade Rawnix, who led us to victory in Edna SE, for which he had pre-prepared as part of the Folk ARPS Senior Leadership Programme. Props too to comrade ASL Aquarius, who was also in on the plan. I had a lot of fun tonight and hope you did too.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

Update: Comrades, if you were running JSRS 2.2 during this session (or even if you weren't), please post and let us know if performance was the same or different for you. That addon is currently on probation, so we're keen to understand if it's causing any issues.

audiox
Host

Re: [Sun] 28 Sep 2014 (99 problems but a beach ain't one)

Post by audiox »

Also, if anybody would like to comment on Beachfront Property as a mission, there's a nice thread for it here : http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1492

fer

Post by fer »

OP updated to include this special request:
fer wrote:Update: Comrades, if you were running JSRS 2.2 during this session (or even if you weren't), please post and let us know if performance was the same or different for you. That addon is currently on probation, so we're keen to understand if it's causing any issues.

feanix

Post by feanix »

I missed the version session unfortunately but I had a really, really good time trying out the Leadership Program. Being able to scout the AO a bit in a blank map really helped because I'm terrible at reading elevations. I was able to also make plans at my leisure including brushing up on my infantry tactics. I was also really lucky to have some fantastic squad leaders who really did an amazing job of supporting each other and taking objectives.

Our mission was to capture the town of Edessa and the nearby church. We started west of the town in some hills. Edessa itself was positioned in a worrying open valley east of the hills with the church on a slight rise to the east of the town. The town was also bisected by a river.

The mission almost went wrong immediately because of an unexpectedly large enemy force already present at the main BOF position (FB Heimdall) situated in a rocky hilltop. Alpha raced to support Bravo whilst using a single fireteam to secure their first objective (OBJ London). Once Bravo and Alpha managed to clear Heimdall to only token resistance Alpha then regrouped at their OBJ London whilst IFVs were brought up to support them. Bravo secured FB Heimdall and proceeded to fire on enemy troops in Edessa as well as an enemy base of fire nearby (FB Odin). Under Bravo's cover Alpha then did a great job of capturing a small group of buildings west of Edessa (OBJ Paris). This was their final FUP before assaulting the town proper. Alpha readied for the dangerous charge across open ground whilst bravo used the UGLs to lay down smoke between the town and OBJ Paris. Alpha then did an amazing job of crossing the ground and took then town with minimal losses. Shortly after the mission was called.

I'd like to thank the hosts, especially audiox and fer, for giving me a chance at the Leadership Program and I'd highly reccomend it to anyone else who'd like to give it a try.

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Beachfront Property
FIA A2 AR
Ran to the beach and ate a bullet to the face.

Surf Athanos
NATO A1 FTL
Ran off the beach and ate a bullet to the face

Edna SE
NATO ASL
Dismounted just before the bend in the road, and lined up my (over)eager fireteams along the ridgeline. Bravo got into a scrape, and A2 and A3 were dispatched to help out (props to them for self-managing that engagement). Meanwhile, A1, supported by myself and the IFVs, took the first outpost, losing two men. As soon as Bravo let me have my men back, we regrouped and stormed Paris, under cover of smoke. While we consolidated and Bravo displaced, we lost IFV2 and IFV1 was brought back into cover. Soon, more smoke was dropped, reminiscent of the musket-fought wars of the olden days, and Alpha charged Berlin, obliterating all resistance. The mission was called as we crossed the river on Stochkolm.

Dunno about Bravo, but it seems smoke cover makes the comrades much more willing to charge a bunker when given the order (and the charge itself much more glorious). Very nice :D
[/allegedly]

Emil

Post by Emil »

Beachfront Property
FIA minigun boat rear gunner

-Hard to see/shoot shit 300m out on a rocking boat with no optics
-Even with glorious naval gunfire support, Bravo got wiped out in <2mins (not my fault)
-2000rds of minigun ammo runs out surprisingly quickly
-AAF did a nice job wiping out the entire boat crew as soon as we beached

Surf Athanos
NATO B1 AR

-muh frames
-Boat hits the beach, we all jump out of the boat, and boom, I'm the FTL (rip in peace 50% of my FT)
-Pretty sure I spent about 5 minutes shooting at some guy who may or may not have been in charlie
-muh frames (sub 20 all the time, and I have a good rig)
-OHKed by AI towards the end

Edna SE
NATO A1 AT

-2 mins after shooting starts, half my FT is dead (classic)
-Didn't get to use my PCML at all :((((
-Teamkilled the admin with a accidental nade (also my FTL), soon after consolidated into A3
-Mission ends as we cross into WP Stockholm

Swept II (as coop)
FIA MAT Gunner

-Hiking Simulator 2035 for most of the match so we wouldn't get killed
-Miss a Strider with the RPG
-Consequently almost all of Bravo and my TL get killed by AI assault from 3 sides, get rekt soon after by OP AI aimbot

JSRS 2.2
I was using it through all the ops, and it worked flawlessly aside from on Surf Athanos, where I noticed that I wasn't hearing some of the gunfire (that I could see the tracers of). This could be an engine thing because there was a whole lot of shooting going on, but other then that JSRS was working fine for me.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Beachfront Property
FIA A2 FTL / Mission Maker

I think i see a guy, i definitely see a guy, i shoot and lob grenades. I'm dead.
Mission maker dies first, glorious success!

The boat seemed to be far away from the action for much of the mission. I really don't understand why it wasn't used as close support for Alphas advance.

Surf Athanos
ASL -> CO

Since my other screen had frozen i spent a couple of minutes trying to reach Charlie after they'd been completely wiped out. That was embarrasing.

Other than that. Alpha did as good as they could when it came to advancing. After a hectic first couple of minutes things cooled down. I tried to move Bravo a bit forward and then have them hook back whilst Alpha was to move to the house to the west. Which had approximately 1000 AI in and around it. Then i died.

It was really, really fun throughout.

Edna SE
MMG Gunner

MMG team with glorious spotter Tigershark. I really needed to chill out after having survived so long in Surf, so plinking away at enemies far away was nice therapy. Tiger was really good to have as a spotter.
Having me in command channel whilst i moved with Bravo was not ideal, as i had little to no situational awareness of the area. Listening in on comms for the squad you're moving with helps. Then CO can direct if necessary over CC. That's my only gripe with how that mission went.

Also, sorry to Tiger for this :

Sorry guys, i just figured out the youtube tag, so i am on a bender. :D

Syn

Post by Syn »

It's good to be back. After being lost for months in boardgames, dota2 and dcs; I popped in for a few missions. I only stayed for two: A crushing defeat, and a perfectly executed assault.

Surf Athanos: I saw my squad (alpha?) get wiped in under two minutes before my very eyes, without sighting a single enemy. I felt guilty as the only survivor. Joined bravo, crawled forward in the confusion, found two Ei, and killed one of them before getting killed myself. FUN.

For the second mission, i was an assistant mg as a part of bravo, and enjoyed taking long shots supporting alphas advance. Seeing those tracers land on the spine of laying enemy infantry was quite satisfying. Got 6 kills at around 800m, with a pretty crappy rifle and fixed acog optics. Felt good, man. I love these crawling forward missions, like the one with the tank we used to play on A2 (white rabbit?)

I also loved the fog on the beach landing, i think we should exploit more the capabilities of arma 3's climate. I would love a stormy mission, or one with dense fog, stuff like that. The new engine is beautiful.

Universal

Post by Universal »

Just a little vidja forja:

AirBlade

Post by AirBlade »

I decided to load into the server 5min early...

...wasn't disappointed

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =320048693
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =320048730