[Sun] 11 Jan 2015 (Logistics from above)

How we died (in the future)
fer

[Sun] 11 Jan 2015 (Logistics from above)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • IndFor Don't Surf
  • Bees (Alt)
  • Burn
Almost more helicopters than we had pilots for, and a sniper team without restrictions? I know, right? Has the Party gone mad?

:psyboom:

We had 42 comrades tonight, which is approaching our 'A2 golden era' numbers. Accordingly, the Party thanks each and every one of you for turning up, slotting super-smoothly, and being all-round awesome. The really scary thing is just how effective we were in the evening's two coop missions, not to mention the outstanding performance of CSAT during comrade Lynche's wonderful adversarial mission, IndFor Don't Surf. Well done, comrades!

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here - comrade YouTube Hero SuperU doesn't just produce our video idents, but provides leadership and guidance to propaganda artists. We also have a new YouTube channel that he manages so if you have any content you think should feature then let him know and he will sort you out, for more info check out this thread!; more guidance on video editing for Folk ARPS is provided by comrade Ferrard Carson. Posts in the AAR threads really help us (the hosts and mission makers), both with understanding how we can improve the experiences, and showing potential comrades what our sessions are like.

:v:

audiox
Host

Re: [Sun] 11 Jan 2015 (Logistics from above)

Post by audiox »

The footage of me being the first to die after this glorious landing has mysteriously disappeared.... :hist101:

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

IndFor Don't Surf
Deployed as CSAT Bravo Squad Leader
Last time I'd arrived at the surf club, me and my NATO squad had basically dominated the landscape from atop the single highest piece of terrain around. This time, I was approaching from the other direction, and the hill to the north was significantly less domineering. What we had that NATO didn't, however, was good hard cover to go around for everyone.

Moreover, I remembered what was so tricky about that other hilltop - being the highest terrain in the area means that everyone else shoots at you, and it was actually really difficult to pick out enemies in the clutter on CSAT's hill. Thus, my orders were to wait until NATO opened fire and was embroiled fighting either Alpha or the Surf Club Staffers, then for Bravo to get on line and smash NATO's face in.

Turns out, it worked brilliantly:

<Placeholder for Video>

Bees
Deployed as Alpha Squad Leader
As a squad leader, I had a bit of trouble on this mission when my squad was split into penny-packets all over the AO. "You have your objectives," I told my FTLs. "Prosecute them independently of me." On_Certainty did a great job getting me and my medic Lynche on the deck, where we followed Alpha 1 as they progressed towards their objective. Some frustrated flanking finally got A1 and A3 to link up with one another, but A2 was long gone by this point, and the AO mostly pacified. We swarmed everywhere, clearing buildings haphazardly, and I died to a bugged out SWS function.

Burn
Deployed as Charlie 2 Fire Team Leader
As IceRaiser ferried us to our destination, we watched Alpha and Bravo's choppers be taken under fire by small-arms from patrols near their LZ's. The gunfire and tracers from their Southern portion of the compound never ceased, while Charlie's infiltration of the forest was very quiet and stealth. At one point, we about-faced and obliterated a small patrol of enemies who crested the ridge we had just vacated, but we never even took fire - they were tunnel-visioned on the much-set-upon Bravo.

Upon entry into the compound, Charlie seized the plateau around the radar dish, fighting tooth and nail to expand our area of control forwards. I ate a bullet at this point, but watched from the afterlife as the remnants of Alpha and Bravo linked up with a virtually intact Charlie and finished clearing out the base.

As the mission-maker, I have to say that this was a great way to assault the base. Alpha and Bravo drew off and reduced the majority of the on-base garrison while Charlie snuck around the back and assaulted quite successfully. I loved it - congrats to CO and SL's!

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

Very nice video AudioX. Seems like you guys had a very successful session, too bad I couldn't make it.
"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

on_certainty

Post by on_certainty »

Great video, audiox.

More to come.

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Bees
====

As the CO for this mission I'd thought I'd put down a few comments and post some pics I took.

This mission provided some unique challenges. First of which was how to insert people using the available assets. Littlebirds are excellent for this (and as we saw all LB's delivered the payloads in tight LZ's with little problem) as long as they aren't taking fire.

The fact the Alpha was spread out across 3 LB's meant I could; a) keep Alpha together and land Lb's all together which would mean a cohsive Alpha but a lost opportunity to move pieces around the map for flexibility or; b) disperse Alpha with varying tasks but a common objective at the expense of cohesion. Treat them effectively as individual fireteams (which unfortunately negates the role of the ASL...something Carson was quick to point out.

I chose option a and I'm pretty ok with it. The plan went very well. Special shout out to A3 with whom I inserted (phrasing!) and followed their progress after my untimely death.

A1 and A2 were to spearhead and clear out forces surrounding the village setting themselves up for an attack and S&D mission on the town. A3 was to cover the backdoor (PHRASING!) whilst Bravo got some high ground and gave them overwatch. Bravo was to be an attacking force from North once the QRF had been dealt with.

A3 moved quick to get their objectives and setup a QRF trap which worked very well. Satchels on the road and Nlaws ready. I think Bravo may have rocketed the last member of the QRF though. Ajax and his boys in A3 had an excellent mission.

A1 made short work of resistance at a farmhouse on the way to their final objective but seemed to fair less well as OPFOR approached them from a nearby orchard. Visibility was their enemy I think.

A2 unfortunately came across heavy resistance and was wiped out fairly quickly. Would like to know what happened there.

Bravo recovered well from some early miss steps and stormed the village from the north as expected. I unfortunately was jumped by a roving patrol as I attempted to move the church A3 had cleared before.

I commend the pilots in this mission. They did very well and the view from the final LB on the flight line as all the LBs took was awesomely cinematic.

Sending troops to cover the QRF left the attack helo with little to do...this was unfortunate and I apologise. I like the initative taken by the pilots to land as well...but that must have been highly realistic as you played cards waiting for the exfil call :-)

I will post pics tonight.

A3 about to Strom a chapel

Well that didn't go so well.

Meanwhile Zitron and other pilot "friends" engage in some money making in the beach toilets

Attack Helo Runs

A3 Gets extracted

Other rally on the beach for extraction

And FA discipline at its finest
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

boberro

Post by boberro »

IndFor Don't Surf
As NATO, thinking we're so sneaky:

Image Image

Bees (also known as "it's a trap!"

Image Image Image
I was just a humble minigunner in Bravo TH, but unfortunately our pilot had a seizure and I had to grab the controls. Hover landing on the cliff went reasonably well, although 1 - dazed and confused pilot decided to disembark, and 2 - it was alpha LZ. Second landing wasn't so well, since I got a seizure just before touching the ground. Everyone but main rotor survived.
Left without a pilot nor a helicopter, we (me and Gaius) decided to follow bravo. Comrade Gaius, understanding that a hero may be needed, was volunteered to bring explosives.
When a need for explosive charges arose, Gaius was once again volunteered to run across the battlefield, and deliver them, unfortunately planting charges under wrong target.
Image Image Image
Charges were touched off, only to destroy one of our two targets.
Fortunately command had attack helo under their, erm, command, which ACCORDING TO ALL WITNESSES WAS ENOUGH TO DO THE JOB. (*Picture might, or might not show previously blown up tank)
Image Image
Further extraction went WELL AND QUICKLY, WITH NO ONE LEFT BEHIND.

Burn
No one burned (save for one strider)!

I wasn't an FLT in this one, just a humble rokkit launcher, but I had a feeling that alpha squad lead was less understanding for fireteams than in normal cases. We were supposed to get quickly to given point, but not leaving enemy fighting us in close quarters behind was quickly shunned on, every time. Enemy shot our backs too, every time.
Anyways, we all survived that one:
Last edited by boberro on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

If your game crashed during Bees:

Please PM me a link to the .bimdp file in your Appdata/Local/Arma3/ folder. If there are several I'd assume it's the latest one. I'll forward them to Dwarden as it seems to be an engine issue.

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

First time back in a while and I'm really glad I made it in time to take part in a totally epic session.

Bees
I was Aquarius's AAR in Bravo 1 (TH1 Ground Deployable Meatshield) along with AR Eski and AT Rifleman Nigel.

Our 1st attempt to launch the mission was thwarted when a rogue delivery drone from Altis Kebabs collided with one of our transport helicopters resulting in toasted comrades and pitta bread being scattered across the airfield.

The 2nd and successful attempt to launch the mission was actually much scarier for me as TH1 lifter off and then appeared to go into permanent hover. I don't know if this is a feature of JRSR 2.2, but sitting in the back of a Ghosthawk sounded much like being in a tumble drier while people were belting it with scaffold poles. Eventually, TH1 and its Bravo cargo headed off towards our LZ though Nigel must have incurred the wrath of the ArmA gods as they smote him with desync and he had to log back in.

After a fairly normal landing, FTL Aquarius stepped on a Super Glue mine and was rooted to the spot for some minutes, so Eski led us off towards our first way point while Aquarius applied solvents to his PC and freed himself. On cresting, we spotted a rather militant looking conga line of EI heading towards the town suspected to be hiding the enemy armour, so we had no choice but to engage and fill their dance card with bullets.

So more running up and down hills followed as Bravo moved to support Alpha and clear through the nearest buildings which had an Ifrit and a truck parked nearby. A downhill charge almost went badly wrong as we ran into EI hiding in some dead ground, but we prevailed and cleared towards the objective.

Demo charges where placed around the MBTs and in the middle of a town picnic. Apparently none of the town's inhabitants understood "P*** off home, we're about to blow these tanks up!" as they didn't disperse. Some of them couldn't disperse due to contracting a sudden case of death during Alpha's push towards the town.

Bravo retired to a safe place to watch the impending destruction of the enemy tanks. NO WAR CRIMES HAPPENED WHEN THEY DETONATED. As the detonation destroyed the ice cream kiosk and most of the beach umbrellas, it was deemed time to head down the beach for extraction. We all marvelled at the Ghosthawk's stealth technology as it pulsed in and out of our vision as it approached, but we were herded towards SuperU's Little Bird for our flight home.

Sitting on the bench as we skimmed above power lines and trees was a real roller coaster ride and I might owe the Party for a magazine of 6.5mm rounds that I may have fired into the sea just because I could. On arriving back at base, I have to report that unit cohesion and proper military discipline broke down, resulting in much unapproved victory fire and a cloud of smoke a mile across. Not wanting to be awarded another "luxurious holiday" at the Party's 5 star re-education facility, I took cover in the trees and prepared as list of comrades to inform on when questioned by Fer later.

Burn

Slotted as AAR in Ferrard's Charlie 2 with Lynche as AR and Grumpy toting the UGL. Tasked with taking FOB Mike 26, Charlie's role was breach the northeastern corner of the base while Alpha and Bravo made the main push from the south and west. Helicopter insertion was mercifully less eventful than that of the previous mission and Charlie moved off cautiously towards the objective. An EI unit appeared on a hilltop behind us as we climbed towards our breach point, but they were soon suppressed and killed.

Assaulting the first line of Mike 26 defences (near the large radome) required many frags being lobbed over the Hesco barriers. In a stark contrast to my previous ArmA of grenades, no-one managed to blow themselves up and several EI actually died. Pushing around the eastern side of the radome, we ran into heavy resistance from the larger compound on the far side and got into something of a fire fight. Unfortunately, we lost Ferrrard as he moved further around the radome. I tried to get on CC to inform Charlie SL of this, but none of my TS3 hotkeys worked. Being under fire at the time, I didn't feel like alt-tabbing out of the fight to fix my TS3...

I kept close to Lynche as he moved past Ferrard's last resting place to avenge him. We were joined by another NATO element and with their support, we managed to take out the last few defenders and were victorious.

After Party

2 runs of Saltriders were more salty than usual down to being washed with my tears... Near instant death in the first when our glorious red truck was rammed by a filthy blue one within 10 seconds of the starting whistle being blown. The second run lasted a little longer, but our tyres got shot out very rapidly and I found myself being the only person alive in our wrecked truck. Cunningly, I jumped out of the truck into a hail of enemy bullets...

2 runs of Raidolo followed with my supporting the forces of Law and Order in both.

The first run was fairly uneventful as I ran off in the wrong direction and it was all over by the time I caught up with my fellow cops.

In the second, I stuck with Chief Inspector SuperU and followed him towards the sound of enemy gunfire. Alas, he ran through a shop doorway right into the sights of 2 druggies on the roof opposite and was cut down in his prime. I caught a bullet myself and had to break out the FAK to heal myself. I crawled out into the street and moved along a row of parked cars hoping to avenge SuperU. My luck was in as both the chemically challenged gunmen were sat out in the open and even my shaky pistol skills proved enough to put them down.

Overall, an absolute belter of a session and I'm gutted that I can't make the next 2 Sunday sessions as I'll be overseas.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Burn

Theory:
Okay, I need to hop off for 10 minutes but with the briefing and flight-time that should be enough, right?

Praxis:
Tab into the game. See what looks like non-moving ground outside the window.
Oh shit, let's get out and catch up quickly, wait a second, other people are still inside? A shit....

Afterparty was fun though, in an explosive & chaotic way.