[Sun] 08 Feb 2015 (The Big #100)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Sun] 08 Feb 2015 (The Big #100)

Post by audiox »

Thanks to the brave 32 comrades that came along to celebrate our #100th Arma 3 session! :dance:

Tonight saw some great missions by a large variety of mission makers. They will probably appreciate any feedback on those missions, and if you would like to share your view on them there is an entire subforum just for that.

Actually, its pretty cool that we now can run five missions in a night and have them all from different mission makers. I even had a backup coop mission that was from yet another brave dungeon-toiling comrade. Thanks to you lot for taking the time to set these all up. :P
Please tell us your stories, show us your videos and photos, and all of that jazz below.

We are nearing the end of filling our yearly slush fund! Thanks to all that have helped make sure we have a home for another year! If you haven't, feel free to avoid the ire of our counter-revolutionary hunters by donating lavishly.

Lynche

Re: [Sun] 08 Feb 15 (The Big #100)

Post by Lynche »

I really enjoyed Charlie Foxtrot, the whole set up created all these situations that wouldn't happen otherwise.

I was the MAT gunner, I had dropped in the northern reaches of the AO, while Carson, my leader, dropped toward the south. After getting my bearings and finding an ATV I happened to link up with the B2 AR (sorry, I cant remember who you were) and we headed south.
After driving south of a bit we had to dive off road to hide from an approaching offroad. The vehicle passed by but we were hit by a patrol. Luckily we managed to kill them and we went west to try link up with the rest of B2. Along the way we encountered another ATV so the AR got off, we wished each other luck and I headed south to RV with MAT and CO. Along the way my ATV was damaged and I ended up having to walk the rest of the way.
Just as we were linking up we were hit by a patrol, which forced me into a building, I was shot by 2 gunmen hiding in a nearby shed and Carson shortly bought it from the patrol not long after.
As we lay there, reunited but for that last 20 meters, the light faded from our eyes. We reminisced about the adventures we had and cursed that the happy reunion of MAT was ruined by our untimely murders. :cry:

Bees was great, I was impressed we managed considering the number of us taking part. There was some great teamwork and communication between the elements! As the sniper spotter, I managed to get 5 guys from my position on the hill by just ranging them and plucking away with my iron sights. An excellent bit of target practice!

As an aside, was it just me or was it bit laggy tonight? It was mostly ok for me, but I would have moments where it would freeze up for a second or two before.

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

I really enjoyed Garage. I was Alpha squad medic under JayJoe.

Mission Start:
I started driving along to waypoint Kentucky(?) when CO's hatchback decided to back up randomly and take out my front tires. We then hopped into Charlie's hatchback and continued to the dismount point.

First Contact:
Alpha took position on the hill just as planned and provided support for Bravo/Charlie from the rocks on our left flank. We had no injuries that I am aware of.

Assault:
As Bravo had reached their holding position it was Alpha's turn to move up. A3 was tasked to move on the right of the road, A1 down the centre and A2 on the left. We continued to push. It started off a bit hectic with A3 a tad behind A1 and A2 but we all made it to the compound alive.
(Picture of JayJoe standing over the corpses of our enemies during the assault)
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc ... 88661E822/

Compound:
Here we debated grabbing one of the trucks to evac, we didn't though. We started to take fire from the right and someones AT took out the objective. That also lead to Alpha's first death who was caught in the blast. From there we didn't even have to worry about evac as the mission was declared a success.

Thoughts:
Except for my poor driving at the start, the mission went perfectly, everyone moved to the appropriate positions and we managed to destroy the depot with minimum casualties. Had a lot of fun as medic running around with Jayjoe. Good job Alpha.
"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

Imnotdannyboy

Post by Imnotdannyboy »

mg]Recorded the brief but exciting adventures of Costno and myself on Charlie Foxtrot

I would love to run Charlie Foxtrot again. It seems like it has a ton of potential, and it'd be a fun one to run a few more times. I think it'd be interesting as an adversarial, where one team drops in with a larger force and the other simply has to defend amidst the chaos. For this to work, it might be better of there are no radio comms available to the dropping team (aside from direct) and some preexisting meetup locations. That way it'd be a race for attackers to organize and begin their push while defenders are trying to pick off the lone stragglers.

Just a thought, though. It was wonderful as is.
Last edited by Imnotdannyboy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Defeat in victory.

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

Who was driving?

Epic snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory...

Reppyboyo

Post by Reppyboyo »

Viddage!

Charlie Foxtrot has a tonne of potential but it came across as a cluster fuck in game.
I was B1 FTL and my squad, apart from one were literally scattered at the far 4 corners of the AO.
Perhaps the scatter could be a little less far apart to help speed up the mission a bit and get things going.

jayjoe

Post by jayjoe »

one of my favorite sessions so far, ill just post some quick stuff about the missions

the three way:

i was alpha 1 lead and our job was over-watch, easy right?
so we enter contact with the AI immediately and start engageing while keeping eyes on the hills for further contact.
after CO runs over the contacts we start to notice a blu fire-team coming from the hill we thought they would be on so i tell my guys to get ready to engage and i just fire off some GP's because traveltime

little do i know is that the hill is exactly 400m and i land my shots exact. i kill one dude (im not sure of my fireteams killcount) and they return fire heavy. i later realise that it was more than 1 fireteam and that i just killed their CO fucking their plan up.
after that, mabbott gose down twice (and we pick him up twice) and i run out of ammo. we fire a rocket and get off the hill. so as we walk into town and kill some AAF. he runs upto us and says hi only a beret.
Terminal Boy wrote:Who was driving?

Epic snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory...
twas i who was driving, and CO and VIP was in car with me. all in all good mission with a happy, then less happy ending

TLDR: i killed their CO from 400m and a tree fell on me and the VIP

Garage:
so ill leave this to like 4 sentences since mabbott did a god job describing the mission from our point of view
i was Alpha SL
i missed the briefing so i was playing it by ear and keeping it casual
Bravo Forgot the Smores
alpha did a fucking great job

Delivery Denied:

i have PTSD from this mission being on NATO

Bees:

Enter the Story of the best medic role ive been in.
the mission was goin well, i was with C1 on overwatch. after a while
i decide to go in and help the attacking forces.
well after that i just started slaying bodies left and right, and now i had to pick up some AT and a AR so i was having fun with those.
not blaming anyone but a team put a charge on the wrong tank so i had to blow it myself
after that i was left behind and TH3 had to come pick me up. productive day for me

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

The 3 Way
Deployed as CSAT A3 Fireteam Lead
"A1... wait, no, A1 is leading us, so they should just roll from the start so we don't lose any time. A3, I've got a special assignment for you."

And with those immortal words (can words actually die? That'd be concerning...), A3's adventures in flanking began.

We climbed out of our perfectly good truck and harnessed ourselves to the skids of a Little Bird. The VIN was filed off for some odd reason, but I chalked that up to this particular bird being very well loved. We lifted off into the mid-day sun, romantically scanning our guns around the place, looking for NATO lovebirds to shoot full of holes.

We landed three minutes later, and I immediately took the team away from the enemy, performing a nice, wide loop to clear ourselves from the datum of the landing. Over the radio, I heard that we had made the correct choice, as the well-loved chopper became acquainted with some very charming bullets, then fled into the warm embrace of the ground. At least our brave pilot escaped and joined the rest of the squad.

We in A3, meanwhile, were gallivanting around in the hill across the road from NATO's very obvious super-Base-Of-Fire, a massive conglomeration of all the NATO dudes and dudettes, gloriously skylining themselves and studiously averting their eyes from their rear. Could this really be happening? I thought to myself. I had even pulled out my binos a few times and spotted someone scanning back our direction. Still no response.

After an eternity crossing open ground by ducking from bush to bush, we had snuck up into defilade below the road, able to barely peek our heads (and guns!) over the lip. At this point, I once more saw someone look our direction... followed by an entire fire-team scrambling off the ridgeline. This is it, I thought. They've spotted us and now we need to ambush the maneuver element they're sending down. I ran through the math and didn't like it. Now that they had obviously spotted us, all three fire-teams would be wheeling to their south, leaving the central objective alone in order to royally fuck-us-up-in-detail (it's a technical term) with an eight-man Base Of Fire on the high ground and a third fire-team maneuvering on us through the dead terrain that we couldn't shoot without exposing ourselves. CSAT's A3 was to become a footnote in history, courtesy of a foolish Fire Team Leader who had committed his unsupported team to an inescapable fight against an enemy with superior numbers, superior terrain, and superior headgear.

Imagine my surprise when instead of barreling down the hill to fuck us up, that NATO fire-team made a beeline for their trucks. They were strung out side on across 50 meters of open hillside with nary a rock in sight when my fire-team got the range, opened fire, and royally fucked up everyone and everything bearing the Stars and Stripes.

A mad firefight ensued. In the midst of it, I heard a muted "For Queen and Country!" behind us and a kamikaze MH-6 slammed into the ground... 200 meters away. Someone needed some corrective lenses. Within the first minute, we had downed some four or so NATO troopers, but between our stupendously effective opening volley and the ministrations of CSAT's Alpha 1 and 2 on the far side of the hill, that merely made the odds even as the remaining NATO troopers began raining murderous fire down upon us. I and Dabbo, one of the riflemen, continued to maneuver forth whilst our AR blasted away belt after belt of ammo. He actually ran out, at which point we discovered that CSAT does not have logistical prowess, because our SAWs can't accept our rifle magazines.

My battle-buddy was shot twice - I patched him up behind a rock the first time, then struggled to drag him through smoke to cover the second... only to discover that I didn't have the requisite FAK to pack all his guts back inside his abdominal cavity. "I'm sorry, Dabbo," I said. "I can't help you. On the plus side, AR - there's going to be a weapon and ammo available for you in a minute here!" Always look on the bright side of-- "User has left your channel."

Shortly afterwards, we had consolidated in the gully once more, I had one unlucky NATO sonnuvagun pinned behind a rock from which there was no escape, and I was reading the terrain to figure a way out of our messy situation when... VICTOR-- DEFEAT!!!

:confused:

Garage
Deployed as Comrade CO
The plan was simple: Take a whole bunch of stinky Europeans on a grand tour of the United States! Man, you won't believe how trigger-happy those Europeans are. I mean, they just shot up basically the entire population of Aggelochori.

The two-squad platoon moved like a stiletto, darting in along the sparsely populated northern coastline, where Alpha put on a fantastic fireworks display from the high ground whilst Bravo went room-to-room advancing into the teeth of enemy contact. They secured a small coastal hillock, at which point Alpha pushed past them and pretty much made the streets run red with AAF blood. With Bravo mopping up what little remained, we thoroughly trashed the apartments, took naughty pictures of the AAF officer (then executed him), and ran up a water-bill like you wouldn't believe by turning on every tap we passed. Then we left, like the most gawdawful dinner guests ever.

Dear Diary: Today was a great day...

Charlie Foxtrot
Deployed as Medium AT Team Lead
I knew it was going to be a CF - I mean, it's right in the title. I didn't know it was going to be that much of one.

I'll be honest... I left when I died. This wasn't a fun mission at all for me. I might as well have logged onto some random Altis Life server, since the only times I saw another comrade was when someone rode right past me on an ATV ignoring my attempts to flag him down, and when Lynche and I died within a stone's throw of one another.

All we have to do to turn this mission from Awful Administrivia into Something Awesome is to ensure that we are scattered by elements rather than by individual soldiers. If each Fire Team could have landed intact, then they could apply real tactics, and the Squad Leads and CO would be able to actually maneuver and plan things knowing they have intact elements who can work as a team. It'd be a ton of small assignments being done all across the AO to coordinate and cooperate, and that would be awesome. As it is, with scattered individuals, it becomes more a matter of gathering people rather than anything that can actually become useful.

Also, sprinkle more civilian vehicles around and get rid of the quad-bikes - those things are just dumb when you have more than 2 people in the game at the same time.

TL;DR: All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable session.
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Link

Post by Link »

Great session. The end of 3 way was very funny.

I thought charlie foxtrot was great fun. Watching my fireteam leader drive a quadbike backwards across half the map was particularly amusing to me :) I look forward to playing the next revision.
My mod installer thingy - Check it out!