[Tue] 07 Apr 2015 (Pimps At Sea)

How we died (in the future)
audiox
Host

[Tue] 07 Apr 2015 (Pimps At Sea)

Post by audiox »

Tonight 22 of us converged on the server and had ourselves a mighty good time!

Tonight we played : After-party :
Please leave feedback to the mission makers in the mission making feedback threads which are conveniently linked in the runlist above!

If you have cool footage from Jan/Feb/Mar languishing on your hard-drive contact me!

As always, comments are most welcome below. Also, if you have a nice story be sure to tell it. Videos are always much appreciated, and will be appropriated by our propaganda departement if you tell us about them.

If you think commanding seems like fun, yet hesitate because you worry that you won't come up with a reasonable plan on such short notice, then check out our leadership programme.

If you want to test out a new updater/launcher for all your mod needs look no further than our Comrade head's marvellous new contraption.

Did you notice that some vehicles/players had way cool FA Tractors on them tonight? That's because of the power of our squad tags. Get yours whilst stocks last.

Reppyboyo

Re: [Tue] 07 Apr 2015 (Pimps At Sea)

Post by Reppyboyo »

Usual highlighty stuffs.

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

Beachfront Property

BLUFOR ASL

My first mission where I started as squad lead, rather than inheriting the position after the untimely death of my superior officer. So, a plan was required. It involved splitting up, one team and the technical moving down the road towards the enemy, whilst myself and the other moved over the hill and attempted to set up a base of fire. It turned out that we couldn't see any enemy from up there, so we all started advancing on the buildings (where most of the baddies were hiding). It all seemed to be going well, A2 and the technical were engaging the enemy on the beach and A1 had seized a bunker... then a GP round blew up next to me and killed at least two of us. A1 and AM bravely tried to continue to assualt the compound and the technical and A2 killed most of an enemy fireteam on the beach but ultimately we were picked off as we advanced, and the final, heroic charges were ultimately in vain.

Intel RAID_0

A2 FTL

A rather short mission for me, this one. As the boats sped along the coast, a 50 cal somehow found me and killed me, leaving me to spend most of the mission in spectator and bizarre offshore debug limbo. Still, seemed like good fun from my aerial perspective, and I got some good deadguy(tm) footage.

Bay

Alpha squad lead.

A long mission this one, but a lot of fun. Right at the start, alpha successfully assaulted a small compound, and then we moved across several waypoints and assaulted another. From here, we carefully crept onto the hill under the (hopefully unobservant) eyes of an enemy 50 cal in a watchtower. Bravo assaulted the forest to our east where they found a Marid, which, as I understand, rather destroyed them. Alpha then moved on the forest to support the remnants of bravo, and managed to destroy the marid when it finally drove onto the road. An intense firefight followed, and the bravo survivors merged into alpha (thankfully gaining us another medic, as alpha medic died shortly thereafter). We then assaulted a larger compound, taking some casultied in the process (including A2 being wiped out). However, we secured it, and proceeded to move through the town. A very scenic series of firefights followed, as we ran through the fog and the tall reeds, trading tracer fire with opfor. We moved on the town from the north and west, assaulted and ultimately secured it. We captured an objective! The next objective, however, was somewhat more fiercely defended. Moving towards the airfield, we found close contacts in the reeds that would shield our advance. It very quickly went a bit crazy. Another Marid and a tigris were present, and helicopters were dropping off troops in out rear. I gave the order to try and charge, using the reeds as cover, but 50 cal fire from the Marid tore right through them and took me out as I ran to revive the medic. The remainder of the FIA forces followed shortly after.

Die Rebel Scum

Tank gunner

A tank, we had a tank! I jumped at the opportunity to shoot the big tank gun, not sensing the foreboding when no-one else took a slot. Undeterred, we were briefed (split up, use the valleys, kill the bad men) and off we went for the premiere episode of 'ten men and a tank' . It was all going well until a corner happened, and the driver took us rather wide. We set up on a hill in overwatch, rather forgetting about the blufor titan launchers mentioned in the briefing. We exploded without firing a round. Surveying the field from the heavens, I found the cheeky bugger than killed us, as well as an enemy tank nestled in the village. I watched A2 get picked off one by one, and Boberro go down shooting and surrounded. It was all up to A1 now. Gaius charged an MG nest and won, only to be picked off my an AI. The others were cut down by the tank and random AI around. Zitron disconnected and I heroically jumped into his slot. Armed with my sky knowledge, I ran too the titan launcher on a tripod, only to find it had a very limited traverse. Some arma-ing later, the tripod had set itself up in the direction of the tank. A hit! But not a kill, the tank drove past me, seemingly confused but definitely angry. Limited by the traverse, I waited until the tank moved into my sights, I shot, I hit! A kill! But the crew dismounted and promptly shot me in the face. Still, the cheers from my dead comrades was inspiring.

Videos hopefully to come once I work out this whole editing lark.
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Arrived too late for Beachfront Property, alas...

Intel RAID_0
RAT for Bravo 1 with Pickers (FTL), Reppyboyo (AR) and Jakob (AAR).

The initial insert (after some phnarr phnarr about the tactihump boats) went smoothly and we moved up to cover while the world's luckiest transport helo made its escape. A quick exciting assault which managed to happen on the other side of the rock I was trying to flank around captured one guard tower and we used its commandeered HMG to eliminate the other towers HMG (which had been trying happily shooting at me and Bravo 2) with a .50cal headshot. We patched each other up, and regrouped at the base of the tower, killed a patrol but lost our FTL to friendly fire.

No Comrade, it was not me. Why do you keep asking that?

Reppy, now drunk on the power of field promotion, charged to clear the tower instead of letting his expendable teammates preserve the command structure ablatively, which led to three PTSD-inducing minutes of a mixed fireteam with no intra-fireteam comms clearing out a tower of four AIs at 12fps, and securing the intel at 20fps (Arma hates me). Why exactly the intel was sitting out in a laptop exposed to the elements I don't know...

That done, it was time to fight to the extract zone.

Mostly, though, we just let Alpha and the other Bravo fireteams do the fighting while we ran our VIP reppy and his intel to the shore and bypassed all the enemy to victory for the Firing Into the Air faction. Though we did nearly RPG our own extraction forces thanks to paranoia induced by not meeting enough resistance on the outbound leg...

Bay
RAT for Alpha 1 with Nigel (FTL), gqren (AR) and Zitron (AAR).

This has to have been my most effective mission so far with Folk, not to mention one of the more banter-rich missions :D

The initial insert went smoothly, held up only while I ditched and buried my ACO(green) *spits*. We used the cover of the valley and got to within sprint distance of the first buildings, got our breath back, then charged in, grenades flying and wiped out four enemy AIs and almost two teammates, while Bravo gave moral support from their position. We then nicked all the enemy stuff because if you've room left in your pack you should never leave a medkit behind. We then oriented on our next waypoint and started walking.

We met little resistance on the way south, we saw some enemies off in the distance, but they weren't threats so we kept going. We saw other threats, but they were in Bravo squad so we weren't allowed deal with them. On our final approach to our next target we spotted two enemy AI chilling in the forest, but since our only quick way of dealing with them was going to be my itching RPG trigger finger, we opted to close and use quieter methods instead. They saw us, things got loud, then quiet again and we were all standing. The rest of Alpha stormed the building while I kept my RPG pointed at an Ifrit just in case it got ideas, then we all regrouped and nicked everyone's stuff again. We saw a HMG 800m away, but the spoilsports thought I couldn't hit it with an RPG at that range. *grumble*

So we set off south again, heading for the next compound. Before we got there, Bravo ran into heavy resistance to our east from an armed Marit. MAT weren't in position so we legged it to a nearby ridge, and I spotted it and took a shot, but I don't think it hit (though we did see a secondary from something). We closed in on their western side, the Marit poked its head out again and we fired two RPGs at it (one from me, one from Bravo 2) as a reward. Bravo 2 got the kill and I blew up burning wreckage :(

We pushed up into the compound, and as I was noting that there was no way AA was going to cover the damage we'd done to the enemy Marit, a HMG strider opened up on us from inside the compound. This time, I got the snapshot off and killed the thing. Gimme the fps, I can kill it :D :dance:

After looting all the corpses and rearming, we spotted a patrol to the east, and opened up on them. Two went down in the initial burst, the third hid and returned fire. We flanked and threw lots of explodey things at him and killed him. Then we trimmed the local shrubbery with more explodey things because we didn't like it. Then we pushed on east through some seriously cinematic Arma, with tracers cutting through fog into a glorious sunrise. Unfortunately a few moments later several tracers cut back and three out of four of Alpha 1 was down. Zitron used the fourteen medkits I'd looted off corpses to revive all of us and we pushed on through the reeds to attack the next town, pausing only to casually headshot a HMG Ifrit through thick fog with an RPG like it ain't no thang :fry:
(IT SO WAS A THANG).

The actual assault was shouty and explodey and tracery, oh my! Lots of excitement, at least one headshot to an enemy AI from me, big old adrenaline rush right the way though. Sadly we lost Zitron during the assault. We wept and mourned our dead. Then we looted the corpses again (seriously, I'm considering adding a key binding for "nick everything" to my config) and we headed for the airfield. I got to within 300m of the control tower, and honestly, I could have taken that thing, but we saved it for the Ifrits. But the Ifrits hid, and the only target I could see was a helo who landed behind cover before I could get the shot off. And then while I was looking for AT targets, we lost our FTL, then our AR, and then finally me.

Oh well. My final tally was ego-stroking :D

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Die Rebel Scum
A2 FTL (you gotta pay your dues...) with NuttyTecc (AR), boberro (AAR) and Warner (RAT)

Figured I had to volunteer for FTL at some point...

So the plan was for A1 and the tank to head north and loop around the mined area at that end of the valley, while ASL and A2 snuck in from behind along the marked path and sniped people in the back of the head.

It was a good plan.... but the FIA had a better one (namely, have thousands of the sods and have them everywhere). ASL ran ahead of A2 while A2 was taking a stamina break (you try carrying all of your kit and ASL's luggage case!) and so ASL found the enemy technical first. I sent red team (AR and AAR) on ahead to scout as we had no eyes on the technical, while Warner got his AT ready and I watched for opportunistic bad guys with guns. This plan wasn't awful but also wasn't necessary as the enemy technical tore past ASL on a joyride, crested the hill near us and got shot to pieces by everyone. And then I UGL'd it, just to be sure none of the AI had survived to use the 50 cal on our backs as we advanced.

At this point, Nutty had a brilliant idea (or wanted to demonstrate the origin of his handle) and hopped on the back of the technical and used its 50cal to support ASL who was engaged heavily. I didn't realise it was Nutty and nearly fragged him, and then as I walked up to ask him politely not to scare the crap out of us again and to get off that damn fool thing before it blew up, it blew up. In my face (which wound up about thirty feet behind me in a small patch of azaleas). And suddenly A2 was two strong and led by boberro while I tried not to laugh up a lung at the irony of it all.

Boberro then stole all the stuff off my corpse, accidentally setting himself on fire in the process, following standing orders from earlier in the mission (no, you cannot have my Makarov to speed the process next time comrade), and went on to kick FIA bottom with gusto. Warner got a few in CQB before unfairly falling prey to the Arma 5.56 isn't really lethal bug, but boberro nailed FIA all round him like it was hammer demo day at Woodies. Sadly there were too many of them and not enough of him and both he and ASL did the Butch Cassidy in Bolivia routine.

Meanwhile, as bad as that was, we hadn't even gotten to the technical before the tank crew had misplaced their tank using an FIA Titan and so suddenly the game was all down to A1, who gave it a good run. Gaius almost managed to survive charging a tank with nothing but his 5.56, but sadly took a hit to the spleen after clearing out a bunker with a titan launcher and was down but not out. Grumpy revived Zitron and legged it over to save Pickers... but took a hit and only barely managed to avoid collapsing on top of him.

Zitron, meanwhile, figured out a cunning plan and disconnected, letting the AI take over. The AI ignored his wounded human meatsack colleagues, so in revenge Madrak came back from the dead and possessed Zitron's body. This was... not what I'm used to seeing in Arma. But Madrak/AI/Zitron managed to disassemble the titan in the bunker, move it outside the bunker, reassemble it - all under fire - and then put a titan into the enemy tank. Which then got ticked off (Dude, what the hell) and it tried to kill Madrak/AI/Zitron. But Madrak/AI/Zitron was having none of it and put another titan into the tank, killing it first.

Unfortunately, then the tank's crew got out and shot all three of them. Oh well.

After-party : The Service
FIA Rifleman with audiox (rifleman), Warner (rifleman) and Grumpy (rifleman)

It was a 4-v-4 match so the plan was simple - one man up the valley, two up the hill, one in the chapel and camp like we were thirteen-year-old boys trying to impress the Swedish Girl Scouts at World Scout Jamboree. Oddly, this worked, even though we were mostly looking in the wrong direction. Warner spotted the enemy behind us on the hill, I got clever-girled, Warner got the offending AAF member and revived me, I got another AAF member with a headshot, we must have clipped one with a grenade and the last one charged the chapel and he and Grumpy shot each other in the aisle and that was it man, game over. We won. Fun :D

All told, an excellent night's fun, with many, many exploding things. Would do again. :)

Oh, and the nice man from UPS just dropped off my rudder pedals this afternoon and they are absolutely the bees knees, so next time I'm stealing all the helo seats (and thanks to Dslyexi's video on them, I no longer fear driving and I can lean like a champ :P ).

A grown man should not be this excited about plastic pedals. I'm pretty sure of that.
Last edited by Sparks on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

madrak_the_red wrote:A rather short mission for me, this one. As the boats sped along the coast, a 50 cal somehow found me and killed me, leaving me to spend most of the mission in spectator and bizarre offshore debug limbo.
Ah, *thats* what happened to you. I was wondering if you'd fallen out of your boat or something from the weird sidechat text :D
Still, seemed like good fun from my aerial perspective, and I got some good deadguy(tm) footage.
Yeah, there were three of us recording that mission, we must coordinate and swap video files and see if we can't do something cool with that...
I watched A2 get picked off one by one
Strictly speaking you watched half of A2 get picked off one by one after the first half of A2 denied FIA their victory by committing suicide in the most comic way they could improvise under the circumstances...

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

I have deadguy(tm) footage of your fireteam shooting at the AI on the stairs in the big tower. I found it rather entertaining. Especially when you shot the AI in the arse
TURN OUT FOR WHAT

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

madrak_the_red wrote:I have deadguy(tm) footage of your fireteam shooting at the AI on the stairs in the big tower. I found it rather entertaining. Especially when you shot the AI in the arse

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sparks needs an award for the most detailed AARs. :D
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

I know right? I especially like the map parts, where you can see the initial plan and just read up on it as the mission unfolds.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

Video ho!

My first time videoing, comments welcome. Includes special guest appearance by my dad
TURN OUT FOR WHAT