[Sun] 08 Nov 2015 (Memory Leak)

How we died (in the future)
Freyja
Host

[Sun] 08 Nov 2015 (Memory Leak)

Post by Freyja »

Thanks a million to the 46 folk wot showed up for this night's murder romp, my only regret is that I did not have time for the mechanized mission I really wanted to play.

Runlist: I'm sure we'll have the interesting locality issues sorted out for next time, I really am kind of looking forward to hearing everyone scream in anguish as they discover what goes honk in the night. Now comes the part where I blatantly copy that bit of text for the bottom from someone who is better at this than me.

As always, comments are most welcome below, especially with regards to new missions for ideas to improve existing missions and make shiny new ones. Also, if you have a nice story be sure to tell it. Videos are always much appreciated, and will be appropriated by our propaganda departement if you tell us about them.

If you think commanding seems like fun, yet hesitate because you worry that you won't come up with a reasonable plan on such short notice, then check out our leadership programme.

If you want to test out an updater/launcher for all your mod needs look no further than our Comrade head's marvellous contraption.

Did you notice that some vehicles/players had way cool FA Tractors on them tonight? That's because of the power of our squad tags. Get yours whilst stocks last.

Cheerio!

Sparks

Re: [Sun] 08 Nov 2015 (Memory Leak)

Post by Sparks »

You evil murdering swine Netkev.
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Freyja
Host

Post by Freyja »

You had it coming.

FrozenLiquidity

Post by FrozenLiquidity »

Terrible terrible run for me.

About 10 minutes of gameplay in the entirety of time up to the afterparty. It would be much more enjoyable if there was some way to get back in to the action after that because the highlight of my Sunday turned into an effort of frustration.

Infantry Fighting Vehicles:
Was a Alpha squad rifleman, our squad was sent forward under the cover of one of the alpha squads, through a depressed creekbed full of reeds. Just so happens that an enemy patrol was in that same creekbed, and as we all know the AI generally comes out on top in terms of simple concealment (rather than hard cover) so myself and about half of the rest of the squad died right off the bat, the other alpha squad had to come in and was working overtime to get the wounded patched up. :(

Outpost Victor:
Was the MMG lead, went with Bravo to our LZ. Got out of the heli and immediately started taking fire. Naturally, I was hit within seconds and when my squad mate attempted to assist, he was teleported to the ocean, which caused me to bleed out. :x

Manhunt:
Does it even matter? Was in a helo on the way to the AO. UAV spotted targets and a quick decision was made to nix the pre-planned LZ's and land at the new LZ (designation Coffee) right outside the town. Got out of the helo under fire, took cover just as a grenade killed me. :evil:

I was not a happy camper and just about ragequit. The afterparty can be summed up by this:
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 10294 times

boberro

Post by boberro »

I'd like to assure you that it's not going to look like this on every session, but I'd lie. :commissar:

THE PARTY WANTS TO ASSURE YOU THAT EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS INCONVENIENCES WERE SHOT AND THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Comrade Frozen, I deeply empathise, you had a cruddy run of luck last night, you literally landed in the worst-hit fireteam on each mission. That being said, it wasn't all luck - some mistakes were made and will be appropriately dealt with :commissar: while in at least one or two other cases, the mission briefings needed some tweaks so that CO was more cognisant of the mission parameters and didn't accidentally murder entire fireteams make tactical errors that were clearly visible in hindsight.

So In Manhunt the briefing didn't really stress the strength of the AI forces in the town clearly enough and we wound up hitting a very hot LZ as a result; and in Outpost Victor, well, Comrade Netkev is an evil murdering swine. And in Infantry Fighting Vehicles, A2's initial descent into that gully with the elephant grass was our mistake (specifically I mean A2 FTL for agreeing to it, myself as A1 FTL for not pointing out that A1 had absolutely no overwatch capability over A2 because of the terrain and visibility at that stage and that we weren't in place yet because we'd just cleared the compound and were scanning the terrain instead of getting into position; and ASL for not being able to listen to six conversations simultaneously and integrating them with the map and the terrain in front of him to make a coherent working plan for sixteen people on the fly against unknown AI enemies).

Contrary to what Comrade Boberro said, most folk runs aren't like that. Well. Most of Comrade Boberro's runs are like that, but he's a total n00b. We're mostly l33t. And it's usually a lot more fun.

(And afterparty is meant to be completely loony tunes to help blow off the steam from making a best effort at the preceding missions. They're not *quite* our Leeroy Jenkins moment, but they're close enough - think of them less as actual missions and more as a bunch of mates mucking about with a monopoly board after a few beers. Or whatever it is the kids mess about with when having beers these days, in my day we made do with a bottle of tequila and the floor, but you tell the young folks that nowadays and they won't believe you...)
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Freyja
Host

Post by Freyja »

I ran mostly un-played missions, which was certainly part of why the commanding officers had trouble.

Dying very early in missions is something a lot of people have intermittent problems with, believe me when I say that if we could prevent it, we would.

The afterparty was unusually dysfunctional. You can chalk that down to my own incompetence and the fact that one of the scenarios caused the server to break, slowing the proceedings down by quite a bit. These things happen.

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Infantry Fighting Vehicles

Ah yes, this mission was brutal. A2 Fireteam leader, I was entirely too confident in the ability of my team to make it through the low ground up to WP Ocean. They were in the grass, they were in the Grasss!!! As Sparks mentioned A1 could not provide us with support, and it became a fist fight in about a 30 meter stretch of elephant grass. My guess is there was about 5-6 AI, who blended in perfectly with the green grass. After going down, then back up, then down again along with the rest of my team, we finally were safe. By we I mean the 3 remaining members of my team. Frozen, Zenzos, and Spanks were lost all too early, because I did not expect any resistance before WP Ocean.

Outpost Victor
Goose 1 Pilot, this mission was cool, I really like missions that involve several helicopters needing to insert together. Unfortunately, the no fly zone was labelled wrong by the intelligence officers back at base, and continuing on the trend of leading valuable party assets to their early deathes, I was shot down during a recon run along the edge of the zone.

Manhunt

Tried to get behind the attackers, and went down before I saw any. I thought that was the end of my shenanigans, but AJAX ran halfway across the town to revive me. Another risky gamble with party assets, but it payed off!

Fortunately, despite losing lots of valuable resources, I have not been contacted by comrade makor--------

intel64gamer

Post by intel64gamer »

Infantry Fighting Vehicles - Charlie's perspective

This is charlie's perspective and it involves some vergy angry IFVs.

madrak_the_red
Host

Post by madrak_the_red »

You know things have gone wrong when charging IFVs, on foot, with no AT, is your best option
TURN OUT FOR WHAT