[Tue] 29 Nov 2016 (Turning up the heat)

How we died (in the future)
blip2
Host

[Tue] 29 Nov 2016 (Turning up the heat)

Post by blip2 »

A *grand* total of 15 people turned out on this chilly Tuesday. I briefly crawled out of my hole to vaguely coordinate the chaos... :commissar:

Runlist:
  • Armor Graveyard
  • Helljumpers
  • Edna
Afterparty:
  • Shipping Problems
  • Riders of the Salt
  • Powerlines II
As always, comments are most welcome below. Also, if you have a nice story be sure to tell it. Videos are always much appreciated, and will be appropriated by our propaganda departement if you tell us about them.

If you think commanding seems like fun, yet hesitate because you worry that you won't come up with a reasonable plan on such short notice, then check out our leadership programme.

If you want to test out an updater/launcher for all your mod needs look no further than our Comrade head's marvellous contraption.

Did you notice that some vehicles/players had way cool FA Tractors on them tonight? That's because of the power of our squad tags. Get yours whilst stocks last.

DirtyHarry

Re: [Tue] 29 Nov 2016 (Turning up the heat)

Post by DirtyHarry »

Mission:Edna
Role: CO (ASL)
TL;DR: Charge!; Run away!

So I decided to take CO as the awkward silence grew too loud for me to bear any longer.

I had two fire teams and two light armour tanks. (no, I don't know the bloody names yet)

The idea was for the tanks to follow the light blue line, hide from cover behind the hill until infantry were in position on the rocks. I felt if the tanks rolled in too early they would not allow the infantry to proceed unnoticed.

However, the fire teams were engaged as they got to the compound. There seemed to be an HMG covering our advance which obliterated a number of comrades. The tanks were given the "go" to come round and take out the HMG (south green line), hopefully allowing the infantry to continue. However, the tanks were engaged from Edessa and we lost one tank shortly after engagement.
Tank was ordered to pull back and I then felt we should try attacking from the north.
We boarded up what men we had and proceeded back (purple line) and disembarked and took control of the rocks.
I felt that the high ground was too exposed and decided that we should proceed around the base of the hill using the low ground as cover as we approached. Lexer in the tank with shadow would cover our East objective, the church.

We had some moderate success but it was getting dark and frankly we didn't have enough people left. We were picked off one by one until it was just the tank left. Much hilarity ensued as the disembarked teh tank only for enemy AI to board it and take control.

Learning outcomes: (See diagram bellow) In many cases, especially against greater numbers, taking the high ground is a fools errand. There is a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing where the enemy are and feel like you are in relative safety to plink off a few long range shots. You can also fall back but then that often means the enemy then take the high ground by the time you are at the bottom. (I also misread the map, everything seemed much closer that it does on the field.)
In this case I feel that trying to take the high ground which did have cover was not the way to go. We had Red-dot scopes against HMG, AR's. If you can see the objective and all the enemy then by obvious logic they can see you too.
I much prefer taking the low ground. You are able to advance and defend. You can use the terrain to try and position the enemy to come at you one wave at a time.
This is how I would approach things differently. Take the low land. Have infantry perhaps 200m ahead of the tanks. I think that would have worked better.

Professional Try-hard.

Reppyboyo

Post by Reppyboyo »

Some perfect AI mid video, otherwise mostly banter.

Teifiterror
Host

Post by Teifiterror »

I was CO for Armor Graveyard and I initially made two mistakes during the planning phase, many more would follow:

1. I did not have an Alpha 2 squad as everyone was in Alpha 1
2. My push to talk button wasnt working so I was talking to myself for a good few minutes

Once we started magically we avoid virtually all enemy patrols and then most of the infantry died but the tank crew happily drove straight into the base and won the day with support from the remaining Alpha 1. I also claim the only successfully completed mission of the evening was down to terrible planning leading to everyone having to think for themselves :mrgreen: