Joy2Keys: Using joysticks to mimic keyboard strokes

Flight sim sub-forums prior to 07 Nov 2014

Moderator: oldhosts

Tigershark

Joy2Keys: Using joysticks to mimic keyboard strokes

Post by Tigershark »

Hi peeps,
Just a little heads up for those who haven't heard about this. Joy2Keys is a little free utility that maps any DirectX button press on a joystick or gamepad and lets you map a key to it.

http://electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToK ... ersion.htm

Why would you need this. Predominantly, it's use appears to be most beneficial with TS3 and other comms clients. It allows you to map your push-to-talk key to a button on your joystick.

How have I used it?

On the Warthog HOTAS there is a 4 way mic switch. I mapped the "up" direction to the Left CTRL key which is my TS3 PTT.
For usage with TARS I mapped the "forward" to LCTRL 1, the down to LCTRL 2 and the "back" to LCTRL 3. Thanks to the new updates from Headspace, TARS knows these keys and activates the PTT key and broadcasts on the correct radio.

Remember that you have to unmap the button inside the sim you are using. The Warthog automatically maps the mic keys to the radio menus in the sim and you need to disable this or everytime you use the mic switch the radio menus will pop up.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

mort

Re: Joy2Keys: Using joysticks to mimic keyboard strokes

Post by mort »

Thanks for that Tigershark

Haito

Post by Haito »

I am an A10 rookie but certainly not 'thick'. I just cannot get this to work and am wondering if I really need to have it? I have TS3 PTT mapped to mic up on HOTAS but do not like the radio commands appearing on screen. Would you please go through , step by step what you are doing and what the impact is of removing the mapping to mic aft front back etc.

Thanks

Andrew
kiwi four zero (one day)

Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Haito,
You need to jump online with us and we can trouble shoot for ya.
Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Gasman

Post by Gasman »

After some troubles with PTT and Joy2Keys I stumbled across this:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... TT_an.html

TS3 lets you map a joystick button directly, but for the Warthog the buttons have to be set to a certain position.