XCOM: Enemy Within(My Brain)

Games that are not ArmA2 or Flight Sims

Moderator: oldhosts

Lord Penney

XCOM: Enemy Within(My Brain)

Post by Lord Penney »

Comrades!

After being inspired by glorious comrade Gaius and ShackTac chap BeagleRush, I have decided to make an XCOM lets play of my own! In video form, no less!

My experience of XCOM?I got pretty far in enemy unknown on classic ironman, but I've never actually beaten the game (mostly due to not having time to play it). Therefore, I decided that it would be a great idea to go classic ironman for my first playthrough of enemy within too. I might just die in the first few missions, but our agrarian utopia will never be built unless we try!

However I am confident that together, comrades, that together we will defeat the capitalist aliens and their pig dog allies once and for all!
pvtbones wrote:I wish to volunteer as tribute as a stalwart defender of the mother planet.

But of course comrade! Which reminds me, if I've missed anyone out of the DefaultName file just message me; however, let's not forget to thank our benefactor Gaius and be sure to direct all credit for said file to him.

Oh yes! If there's a particularly fetching colour you'd like to wear, please message me. Just because we're defending the Earth doesn't mean we can't look gooooooooood :coolbert:
Last edited by Lord Penney on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pvtbones

Re: XCOM: Enemy Within(My Brain)

Post by pvtbones »

I wish to volunteer as tribute as a stalwart defender of the mother planet.

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

You can thank me for the cool name list currently being used.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxnqrz9nbf5ij ... meList.ini

If your name is not on the list, or you wish for your name to be taken off the list, please PM me.

Lord Penney

Post by Lord Penney »

Pray silence for the first part of this Let's Play that took up far too much of my time:

Just a quick question too, these edited episodes (read, ones that I actually have to put effort into) do seem to take quite a while. How would you guys feel if I were to live stream the standard abduction missions, and do editing on the more important missions? (i.e, terror missions/ base invasion, etc...)

If I did live stream, I would probably need a guest host as I barely stay entertaining with editing! :lol: So if that were to be a thing, I would probably need some volunteers.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

A bit of advice: You can move your troops more aggressively than that. May even practice blue-moving your point-man in a direction, then dashing to decent full cover. If they pop a pod, you've got three other dudes (later five) to maneuver with or lay a trap, and if they don't pop a pod, then you dash the rest of your folks up and have moved twice as fast as you normally would. I'd say don't worry about Overwatching, especially with Rookies - 65% with overwatch penalty really isn't worth the lost mobility, and Enemy Within patrols don't move very aggressively (Long War patrols appear to be much more active than vanilla Enemy Within).

This is a little situational, and probably best to practice on a non-Ironman series. Follow Beagle's latest X-COM series - he's found a good balance of caution and aggression now, whereas his early series was tilted way too heavily in the direction of cautious movement.

His analysis of combat from the early series is spot on though. Control (via gratuitous amounts of high explosive / flashbangs) is definitely the way to go.

Also, change my name to "Ferrard" since we're all friends here - if I show up, be sure to put me in the most garish "Shoot Me Now" colors you possibly can (I'd recommend armor Tint #16). And pray that I'm an Assault :D

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Gaia

Post by Gaia »

*Watches Video, sees spelling errors*

Hmmm, maybe Gaius shouldn't mod video games while he is drinking...

:siiigh:

WrathzRevenge

Post by WrathzRevenge »

The fk guys. WraithzRevenge? Seriously? where the fk did the "i" come from!?

Edit: And change my name to Wrathz. WrathzRevenge is my father's name.
The Invisible SPAAG by Issus
"Homer: Wrathz, I order you to find that vehicle, and destroy it with the telekinetic abilities gifted to you by your extreme rage!
Wrathz: I'll try, but we're getting fuckin' destroyed out here!"

tired hippo

Post by tired hippo »

WrathzRevenge wrote:The fk guys. WraithzRevenge? Seriously? where the fk did the "i" come from!?

Edit: And change my name to Wrathz. WrathzRevenge is my father's name.
Who is this imposter and what has he done with wraithz?

Lord Penney

Post by Lord Penney »

Gather round! Part 2 is upon us!

As always, any feedback (technical, or how I should play) is appreciated. However, Ferrard, with regards to your post; I'd just like to clarify that this footage was recorded before I read it, I should be slightly more aggressive (for better or worse) next video.

Also, just a minor point. Please PM me if there are any issues with the names list rather than post here as it's not really a great jumping off point for discussion. Furthermore, if you've been missed from the list; I always make sure to add the names of anyone who posts here. Just saying ;)

Edit: Just to beat anyone to the punch, I realise that Fer actually misses a shot in this video, but that was via overwatch with a pistol so I'm not counting it :colbert:

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Lord Penney wrote:As always, any feedback (technical, or how I should play) is appreciated. However, Ferrard, with regards to your post; I'd just like to clarify that this footage was recorded before I read it, I should be slightly more aggressive (for better or worse) next video.
Cool beans, and since you're listening, I might as well vomit up three more things that my playstyle uses. Keep in mind, of course, all this is advice that works for my style of X-Com. You might not find it as natural or useful for you, and if so, that's a-okay!
  • Don't overwatch against unseen enemies, especially this early in the game - just hunker everyone. As I said before, the "65% - OW penalties" that leads to 2-4 damage really isn't worth the risk to your rookies / squaddies, and the AI has a habit of knowing exactly how to approach a situation so that they get vision of you without tripping overwatch. Hunkering's 0% crit chance is so, so much better (so long as enemies can't kill you anyways without a crit *coughOutsiders*).
  • Nicely done exploiting enemy "panic" at about 10:45. A pity you had to rely on those crappy Rookie / Squaddie OW shots (can you tell I hate OW in early game?).
  • Last tip of the three: SLOW DOWN SPEED RACER! Well, not really slow down, but take a look at the situation and take a look at all your options at the start of each turn and whenever your METT-TC (specifically the "E" part) changes, re-evaluate all your options before taking another move. This might've helped avoid the awkward situation where you ended up with an Orange-Moved dude sitting flanked by an alium who doesn't need flanking bonuses to wreck your day.
This has been your friendly neighborhood Ferrard, saying "Keep it up! I am entertained, and thus my blood-lust is sated... for now."

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."