Swifty - Recommended mod updater

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
wolfenswan

Swifty - Recommended mod updater

Post by wolfenswan »

Update: the Swifty repository is no longer supported.

Friend of the people and comrade hero machinist Head has been silently tinkering on a little tool named Swifty, a lightweight mod updater.

The party is inviting all comrades to help him test his newest invention. Neither Head nor the party are liable for any permanent damage done to you or your family. If you encounter any issues, leave your feedback in this thread or on Github.

The Folk ARPS repository contains the majority of permitted (optional) client-side addons.

Download & Documentation:
GetSwifty.net

Usage
1. Install swifty and run it as administrator. Configure the settings (upper right) to your liking. Each additional parallel download equals to roughly 1MB/s more.
2. Click "add repo" in the upper left and set up the repository as seen here:
The URL is

Code: Select all

http://server.folkarps.com:85/swifty-repo
Username & pw are anonymous, addon folder and parameters are personal preference of course.

You can later add or deactivate specific addons from the folders added under "mods" (lower left).

3. Update the repository by clicking it's image.. Swifty will download the addons and move them to the designated folder.
4. Once the download is complete you'll be notified about which addons have been changed/updated.
5. Press play to start the game with the repository's addons or launch to connect directly to the repository's game server.

Eagle_Eye

Re: [Alpha Testing] Swifty - Mod updater & PWS alternative

Post by Eagle_Eye »

So I just installed now. It installed ok and I told it to launch when finished. It started up and said it needed admin privleges (which I should already have). Either way the "okay" confirm button then didnt work, so i have to altF4 out of it. This happens each time I start up from the start menu too.

Once I run with admin it seems ok. One small thing is that the browse button (the little folder) requires a double click to work, which I think is not the usual way to have things, but its just a very personal ovservation.

2 other times I had unhandled exceptions warnings:
- Before I had downloaded the mods with the update button, I went into the settings of the FA repository, didnt change anything, but got an exception when I pressed save. On continuing it seemed to be ok.
- When downloading the mods, I pressed the cog wheel to see the settings, and it happened again. Not sure was It because the program was in the middle of a download or because it was just the first time opening the settings menu. After continuing it seemed to run fine, and didnt appear the next time i clicked the settings button.

apart from those small things it seems to work like a charm, and no problems connecting to the FA server so far. Picked up all my other external mods too. I am quite happy.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

This is seriously proving useful.
Doesn't hurt that it doesn't make your eyes bleed and Edward Tufte cry the way PlayWithSix does...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Swifty 1.0.5.0 is out. Now also auto-updates. You might have to remove the old version first.

Screenshots updated.

Terminal Boy

Post by Terminal Boy »

I can confirm that Swifty is:

1. Extremely useful.

2. Simple to configure and use.

Snippers

Post by Snippers »

Comrades of FA, don't panic if Swifty appears broken. It is all part of the wonderful process called science!

As part of making Swifty even faster and more feature rich, the server side of things changed in the latest patch (v1.0.7.0). Wolfenswan will need to re-generate the FA repo using the updated tools, it will continue to appear broken until this is done.

@Wolfenswan - I'd advise getting in touch with Head. if Head isn't free get in touch with me through IM and I'll help you out.
Discipline yourself to do the things you love to do when you don't feel like doing them. - Edward James Olmos (Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica)

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Repository has been updated to new standard. Swifty should now auto-connect you to the FA server.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Thanks folks. This tool's very quickly gone from "Oh, that's neat" to "I have allowed this thing to take over all of my Arma installation and it is now critical..."
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

wolfenswan

Re: Swifty - Recommended mod updater

Post by wolfenswan »

Important

The URL for the swifty repository has been updated. Refer to the instruction picture for details.