[Sun] 16 October 2011

Post by Bodge »

Missions:
  • Ivory Hunters
  • Airfix
  • Farm Raid
  • Nightblind
  • Mailman
Thanks to Wolf for working on a couple of his missions for the session, I had hoped to have corrected mine but was unable so it was great to roll two of his out tonight. A nice solid turn out tonight, not overwhelming but enough for a good few squads. Tonight there was a lot of quick death and some very solid communication between elements and a nice tense adversarial.

More to follow soon

Bodge

Re: [Sun] 16 October 2011

Post by Bodge »

Ivory hunters
Bravo Squad Lead
We were tasked with hitting the enemy convoy from the west in tandem with alpha however this all went to pot when Mort had his cranium removed prematurely. The humvees in convoy were swiftly taken down allowing us to focus on the rather hefty task of taking down the M1A2 TUSK. Xenu and I moved to get in an ambush postition as Ice called out that an AH-6J was approaching. A volley of gunfire flew at it only for it to get mad and explode the house Xenu and I were using to stage out attack. Much splodey death was had.

Airfix
Charlie Squad Lead
Charlie was to hold our left flank as we approached the airfield from the south. A slight scare as a technical made it behind our lines but was swifly brought to a stop with a hail of bullets. We moved to position on the ridge before starting down to flank from the Southwest. Then the local ninja squad popped up and slaughtered us before we knew what hit us. Ayam was left cowering behind a rock before being flanked TO DEATH! Much bullety death was had.

Farm Raid
Bravo Squad Lead
Wolf moved his fuel station defense to a compound on proving grounds, x25killa had us set up defending the compound with Alpha as sentries to the south. Wolf, Ayam and I took up positions watching as many approaches as possible while we waited for contact. There was a lot of jumping at shadows before i saw a definite outline moving to the west. Shortly after Alpha was engaged from the south. Elements from alpha and lead were hit and so pulled back to the compound. The injured CO handed command to myself as Bravo were engaged at close quarters. There were a lot of bullets flying around as Wolf took down two guys in the north building, I then encountered one who rounded the outside of the structure and took him down. There was a tense silence before i saw an slight movement low in the grass, it turned out it was their last guy (Kataras I think) so I put some bullets into the grass finishing the round. A solid defense. A distinct lack of death was had.

Nightblind
Sniper Element.
I spent the whole of this mission spotting targets and never fired a shot. That said I had a large amount of fun, co-ordinating with other ground elements and trying to work out relative bearings and facings. The group did well until they entered the town and people started dropping left right and centre, CO (Tigershark) promtly received a spg round to the chops and went flying and soon it was only the T34, myself and a couple of infantry. Aware that many of our comrades were watching from paradise we decided to make a glorious push to the crash site and glorious it was. Mort and his crew were great in the T34 and there was much exploding on all sides, including the T34 eventually.

Mail Man
Bravo medic.
Bravo were to hold an isolated structure to the north of the crash site and hot-footed it over there on touch down. We were engaged sporadically from the south and west to no great effect while Alpha acquired the data, I magically teleported through a wall onto a section of roof after running away from Iceraiser and had to heroically throw myself from the roof. http://steamcommunity.com/id/iceraiser/ ... tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/iceraiser/ ... tab=public
Soon the download was finished and the birds arrived to pick us up, all was going swimmingly until I unloaded a M240 into my FTL's face when trying to take down MGs shooting at the huey.

x25killa

Post by x25killa »

Ivory hunt
Commander's Medic

Everything was planned out, Alpha would take the north west area, Bravo takes the north east area, Charlie with AT unit in the south while the commander and I hide near the mosque. THAT TANK SHALL DIE! We waited and waited and... someone from Bravo fired off their gun. The convoy stopped, disembarked and started looking around. Soon enough, a firefight ensured.

I decided to pop my head out to see what's going on. That was a bad idea because a 50. cal machine gun blew my head apart thanks to the enemy gunner in the hummer. I was one of the first to go.

While I was floating above the commander, I noticed all the hummers was blown up, but the enemy americanos decided to use a littlebird filled up with rockets. I'm sure some of our glorious suriving teammates died due to a hail of rockets. However, there was one last man standing, the commander. Somehow, he managed to took out the main objective: M1A2 Tusk.

Plenty of deaths... but we won. Sort of.

Airfix
Delta Squad (aka DEATH SQAUD)
Delta Fireteam Leader

We are the Russians. The mission: Blow up planes in the airfield nearby controlled by the enemy. We all flew in via helicopter and got into position. However, there was an enemy technical behind us, everyone opened fire on it and I mean EVERYONE. Minute later after the hellstorm of boolets sending towards the enemy techie, we moved on towards the airfield.

Looks like there were plenty of defence we have to take out. We all moved into position, with Alpha and Charlie taking left side with a good view from the mountains, Delta and Bravo went behind a rock. ROE was not to fire upon the enemy. A patrol went by and haven't spotted DEATH SQAUD nor Bravo... and then it went to the shitter. There was lots and lots of gunfire and deaths in Alpha and Charlie's squads. They were buggered to the high hills. So, I had an idea: Throw smoke, run through it towards the buildings and meet up with Bravo Squad.

So we did and lived. One of the Bravo's men was down. Joe got shot in the face so I threw a smoke and revived him. Then Xenu got shot in the face so I threw a smoke and revived him as well. Joe has a crazy idea: To hijack the enemy airplane.

So there goes Joe in his mad dash, heading towards the enemy airplane and somehow, not get killed. Joe did scream "OUT OF THE WAY!" and that's when I ducked just before the plane wing went over me. One more second and I be a goner.

And there goes Joe, flying in the sky, shooting the enemies, racking up the tally scores and then... BAM. Flies into a hill because it was the final plane.

Good job Joe. You did a grand job.

farm raid
Independent Commander

Mission: Independent vs Opfor, Player vs Player. I took command for the Independent who were the defenders while Opfor are the attackers. This is my force: Bravo with 3 players, Alpha with 4 players and myself. Now, from what I understand from the rules, there needs to be at least 10% inside the red circle but no more than 90% outside it and for some reason, I sounded like a robot.

So, I told Bravo to stay inside the barns, finding themselves good positions while told alpha to split up into 2 squads, Alpha 1 and Alpha 2. Alpha 1 would stay in the south, Alpha 2 stays in the south west. I decided to stay in the north east. It was very dark, foggy and quiet. Everyone took my commands without any problems.

ROE were simple: Do not fire unless fire upon. Also, CRAWL EVERYWHERE. Everyone obeyed.

Nothing much happened for a good five, maybe ten minutes until the firefights started. If I remember, Alpha 2 was down while Alpha 1 was still in the fight, Bravo kept their guard up. I was hit and relinquish my command before I died to Bravo's Squad Leader Bodge. He did a good job commanding.

We won!

nightblind
Charlie Squad aka FLARE GUY

As the mission title says: Nightblind. It was nighttime and you couldn't see anything in the pitch darkness. I had to hook up with Alpha. My job was to fire flares into the sky when needed. Only complaint is I needed more flares and possibly better communication with Delta FLARE GUY.

Alpha and Charlie take up north side, Bravo take up south side. I was the gunner for M113 for alpha. Managed to score 4 kills. After the firefight, we decided to go on foot towards the north. This is where communications was broken. I accidently fired a flare AFTER Delta fired the flare. Having 2 flares in the sky was abit of a waste. Sorry about that!

Fired off more FLARES, reloaded, FLARES, reloaded, killed some enemies, someone did a nice hit when they saw the enemy with an RPG. Good shot mate! FLARES, reloaded, FL- out of flares, ran back to UAZ, back to base, picked up more flares, back to firefight, everyone was getting hit, I swear I got hit but nothing happened, fired more flares, reloaded, flares, killed some dudes, reloaded, flares, reloaded, out of flares, find corpse.

The best bit: Telling everyone I was ready to flare. I flared, shouted GO GO GO and everyone went for it. Fired another FLARE, red fist blown up, end of mission. I was the last one alive with 10 kills.

I would love to do this mission again.

mailman
Bravo's DAKKA

Mission: Extract "important information from the laptop". That was Alpha's job. Bravo's? DAKKA. DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA. Bravo's job was to shoot all the enemies coming from any direction while Alpha's had to extract info. I had a Mk38 camo with 300 boolets with a G17 and 4 mags. Guess how many kills I got? 1. Just... one.

Turns out I am rubbish with the dakka gun unless used for scare tactics in pvp. Ah well. Joe did some good flying as the pilot while I was good with... firing boolets at trees, sand, stones, rocks.

Overall: It was a good night. Some missions I would like to play again (Ivory Hunt, Farm Raid and Nightblind)

Joseph-Sulphur

Post by Joseph-Sulphur »

I missed Ivory Hunt as I was getting some pizza. Pity, I love using the SPG-9 in that mission.

Airfix
Death Squad Automatic Rifleman

As we made our way down the hill towards the airfield in our allotted part of the formation I called out and marked some EI, as well as a patrol of BRDM-2s which seemed to be speeding off into the far distance, and irrelevant to the mission. How wrong I was. We hid behind a rock as a patrol went past, and all hell broke loose further down the line. We decided to peg it down the hill towards some compounds in order the lay more effective fire on the enemy. As I was moving forward between the two barrack buildings an enemy sharpshooter hit me in the face, and killa dragged me back and healed me, after which Tigershark (the medic) gave me jam-removing pat down.
Since there were static jets, Iceraiser and I had to steal them. I sprinted across the airfield, and noticed that Headspace had managed to get into an LZ-39A, but instead of taking it off and buzzing the tower he just shot rockets at the ground in front of him. Boooooring. I hopped into an Su-25 and careered across the airbase, yelling at friendlies to get out of the way. Killa and Xenu managed to ninja-dive beneath the wings but I ran over and killed harakka. Such is life. I took off, did some aerobatics and shot the last empty jet. After more aerial tomfoolery I finally acquiesced to wolfenswan's orders, rocketing and then crashing into the aforementioned BRDM-2s, completing the mission successfully.

Farm Raid
OPFOR rifleman

Unaco came up with a simple and effective plan, and my squad followed our glorious leader harakka into the fog to take out the hipster enemies new Starbucks. I soon crashed (I always do on those foggy 80s filter Proving Grounds missions, which is really annoying) and spectated the rest of the mission. It was quite boring, but it was interesting to see just how oblivious people can be. Unaco ran right up to the other side of the wrecked pickup that Tigershark was hiding behind, and after a good 10 seconds Tiger emptied his clip into Unaco's ear, but to no avail (I suspect that clipping may be the problem) and Unaco took advantage by filling him with 7.62 rounds.

Nightblind
Bravo Fireteam Leader

We loaded up in an M113, with myself driving and Unaco on the .50 cal. We moved up on the first enemy stronghold and shot quite a few hostiles, but when we moved along the right hand side of the road towards the main objective things started to get hairy. Our M60 gunner, Iceraiser, moved up onto the hill to get some shots on a heavy MG, but was hit. The M113 took heavy fire and kataras, our engineer, fixed up a track. Tiger ordered us up the hill, but as we were climbing we took a hit in the side from an SPG-9 and exploded.

Mailman
Special Operations Pilot

Bravo squad and the command element (Drakkon) loaded up into my Huey. I dropped them off near the C-130J wreck with no incident, and then circled around looking for contacts. I spotted a radar contact, and saw that it was an M2 Land Rover. Tigershark periodically asked for updates on its position so I circled around it, taking a few hits to my engine resulting in light damage. Drakkon gave me an LZ, but I waved off the first approach due to hostile fire. On the second approach I set down but the hillside was too steep and I kept slipping. I asked for the friendlies to move down the hill to a flatter area, which they promptly did. As I came in for my third approach I saw head taking off and frantically alerted him to the fact that our courses were about to intersect violently. He pulled up on the stick and I dropped the nose and managed to slip under his bird in a stunning display of aeronautical prowess which I'm sure looked far less impressive from the ground. The skids hit a little hard and unevenly but the chopper was undamaged. Smoke grenades and the dust kicked up by the rotors shielded us from an enemy squad further up the valley as friendlies hopped in, and I flew off towards base, over several groups of enemies who looked nonplussed by our sudden appearance. I nosedived down the other side of a ridge to avoid their fire in case they finally got their shit together. We flew back towards the airfield as my passengers debated what had happened to Mort, shot just before he got in the chopper. Seems like he's having a streak of bad luck when it comes to friendly fire.

mort

Post by mort »

Hmm being shot in the face at point blank range by a minigun is a novel experience I haven't had before!

harakka

Post by harakka »

There is an ancient saying that goes "better late than never." I don't know about that, but here's videos of Airfix and Mailman:

Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

fer

Post by fer »

Sundays that start before 0700, pass entirely in the office or commuting, and end after midnight are not cool. Reading this AAR thread is.

Firstly, thank you to comrade Bodge for stepping in at the last moment and running the session. Judging by what I heard during a brief connection to TeamSpeak, chatter in Skype and Steam, and of course this AAR thread, it sounds like he ran a great session. I'm very grateful that the Folk sessions can call on such a super pool of mission makers and session hosts.

Secondly, this might sound like a formality (because I try to do it at the top of every AAR thread), but thank you to all the comrades who participated. Folk isn't a group and it doesn't have an attendance requirement (nor will it), but I like to think that everyone understands this dynamic: great people attract more great people, so when you make the effort to play you attract others, and healthy player counts give us so many options. Yes, great people also attract malcontents like the traitor Ansob, but revolutions are not supposed to be easy ;)

Lastly, thank you to posters for sharing their experiences here. If you've ever wondered what the point of AAR threads is, here's my perspective: Above all, we're not playing ArmAx to *win*, we're playing it to enjoy the shared experience of tackling some challenges with friends. Win, lose or perish in the fiery embrace of a Grad, I don't really care so long as I'm shooting a rusty AK with good-humoured farmers; frequently, it's our ability to laugh at our epic failures that makes me glad Tigershark, Xiathorn, Headspace and I talked ourselves into making the Folk sessions happen at all. In my professional life I'd probably make a slide about 'constructing a shared narrative', which is absolutely how one has to describe 'telling stories' to executives. Hence the AARs, which are - along with FRAPS footage - a way of swapping stories, both with others who were there (but in a different fireteam / drunk), or absent, or not even a comrade at the time. The stories are as much a part of the session as the missions, and reading about comrade Joseph's antics with a stolen jet is almost as good as getting to be in the mission. And shouting at him.

:colbert: