fer

[Sun] 15 July 2012 (Folk-47)

Post by fer »

Missions:
  • Internecine DC
  • Broney
  • Proposition
  • Cholo
For me, it all ended in the terrifying darkness of the police station, frantically shooting at silhouettes, hands shaking, wondering only which would win the race to end my life: the blood flowing out of my perforated body, or the seemingly endless gangbangers swarming silently into the building. And that wasn't even the best part of the session.

Well done to the 47 comrades who came along tonight - yet another epic session, with popular classics, refined meatgrinders, and yet another experiment in our quest to see if AIs can be pressed into the service of our revolution (they can). Please share your thoughts here!

:hist101:

Bodge

Re: [Sun] 15 July 2012 (Folk-47)

Post by Bodge »

Internecine DC
Alpha FTL
We were tasked with holding the N/NW quadrant of the village, so I set up along the road with Unaco scouting further out. It quickly became evident that our comrades were being engaged from the East. We moved to the NE corner wall as Unaco circled round the enemy and we cut down a few runners with Unaco gleefully culling those that didn't move in. Shortly afterwards it was game over. Short but very sweet.

Broney
IndFor CO
The plan was quite simple, we had 10 squads, 1-5 would hold the North while 6-10 attacked the mechanized units to the South. The Northern end had a front line of 3 squads with 2 in reserve to cover a withdrawl or relocate. Ivan's squad was first to spot the enemy, swiftly followed by Fer noticing the IFVs. While Ivan suppress the infantry so some success, Fer's exposed position cost him dearly leaving him one body to possess. Kefirz, Ivan and Wolf moved to engage the infantry advancing from the North to slow them down when I noticed enemy infantry crawling to peek over the ridge to our NE, we ignored them to start with. I started engaging the infantry NE from about 450m away injuring a few and forcing their heads down as Null directed his MG fire in support of the other three squads. It was about this time I tasked Fer with directing the Southern teams to eliminate the IFVs.

The enemy on the NE ridge were not budging, cue heroic flanking manouver by Null (with a sole smoke grenade) and Myself (with 24 rounds) to close and engage to try and flush them out. We wounded a couple before we were taken down so we brought up all the other squads towards the ridge while i surpressed them with PKM fire from the SE. Kefirz flanked N of them and I brought my squad up to crest as Null did the same. We crested and continued to clear out the last remaining men on the hillside with Null doing the only noble thing as he revived a wounded hostile before putting him out of his short lived misery. The Northern units then swung South to assist but were not needed as Fer's element cleaned up.

Proposition
BSL (with MMG attached)
Bravo were tasked with clearing the Northern ridge and providing covering fire for Alpha's advance, remembering what had just happened on a ridge line we figured we wouldn't last long. Joe (B1), Concrete (B2) and Head (B3) proceeded West covering each other's advances as we moved North of Alpha and it wasn't long before we started spotting targets ahead of us. We crested just North of the first target and were treated to the sight of several squads moving our way in and out of the dips in the terrain, the fireteams formed up and put fire down as we moved forwards one fireteam at a time to secure the bunkers that were dotted ahead of us on the ridge. With constant automatic rifle, machinegun and assault rifle fire being exchanged in vast quantities we succeeded in continuing our advance. We soon lost our medic (Unaco) as he was healing a wounded man but intelligent use of the terrain by all squad and attachment members and liberal use of covering fire meant he was our only casualty in that push.

B1 and MMG provided significant supporting fire to the teams in the valley as B2 and 3 covered and advanced to the west allowing B1/MMG to continue to push up while assisting the main push. We were quickly reaching the Western edge of our ridge when Head was taken down by a burst of fire, we quickly moved to cover the town and the valley North of it while the other units pushed in. B1 dropped down into the valley to assist with the push and town clearance while 2, 3 & MMG moved to cover the valley that was crawling with troops. We were engaged on the hill so returned fire with devastating effect, some long range 203 grenades and MG fire as well as a barrage of rifle rounds cut down the significant enemy presence in a matter of minutes securing our platoons Northern flank with no losses. With the area clear we requested permission to descend to the target in the valley, it was granted and we proceeded to clear the town. We located our HVTs who had been killed in the bullet barrage earlier and then proceeded to link up with the rest of the platoon for a quick extract and regroup.

Credit to my 3 FTLs for their performance and MMG who managed to take down North of 50 enemies between the two of them. Good job to the FT members too, it was a pleasure to command you.

Cholo - I was absent.

Capernatious

Post by Capernatious »

Nullkigan's war crimes have been recorded and uploaded. The agents of the regime can do what they want now, the evidence is out there.

Nullkigan

Post by Nullkigan »

Code: Select all

~ Go to your brother ~
    ~ Shoot him with your gun ~
        ~ Leave him in his uniform ~    
            ~ Dying in the sun ~
The party points out that the traitor executed in that video was granted precious extra moments of life by my tender ministrations. Had a crueler man encounted him his existence would have been much shorter and more torturous. :laugh:

Astro Nit

Post by Astro Nit »

This is my first contribution, so feel free to tell me what I've done wrong

Internecine DC
Short lived with no sightings of enemy, me and my squad were laying in some bushes when my FTL gets killed. Having no idea where the shots where coming from I start to back up, immediately getting peppered with bullets. I start to try to crawl to freedom, only to be finished off swiftly. Fun

Broney
Much more fun for me, as I was the driver of IFV1, which was quite scary considering people, including my own team, were saying "Kill the Broneys" in the chat. This being my 7th or 8th session of any type of ARMA online, I wasn't greatly confident in my driving skill, especially when I realised that 3rd person was disabled so the only view I had out of this hunk of metal was a tiny slit, especially scary when my gunner confirmed the same. I set a way point on my map for around 400m away and headed out, went over the crest of a hill, and a load of tank traps came into sight. Great. I crawled up to the top of the next hill as instructed by my commander, and awaited orders. My job turned out to be rather easy at this point. Go forwards, let the gunner get a few kills, retreat, move to the side, rinse and repeat. Just as I was getting comfortable we were instructed to go to a point on the map where a puppet-master had been spotted, trying to control my speed down the hill, I headed over there. Once I arrived I moved into a position behind some rocks and waited. Turns out we didn't have to wait too long as an RPG hit nearby, and the panicky strains of my commanded came over the comms and told me to back up, quickly. Doing so we received new commands to head towards IFV2. What failed to be mentioned to me was that we were heading towards the burning wreck of IFV2, and not the operable, perfectly useful, reassuring sight of IFV2. Climbing the hill at a steady 2mph my gunner reassured me he could see nothing as his gun wouldn't angle down far enough and there was a rock in the way. Just as I managed to get in a position both of us were comfortable with, I took 2 RPG hits. My beautiful tank was useless. I had a red light on engine, left track and gun, which even to a noob like me was obviously a bad thing. Taking the advice of the gunner we all jumped out, my commander and gunner went round the rock, and got shot to pieces. I went prone and slowly crawl round to get a look. Seeing movement I shot a few bullets into it, until I realised it was friendly. Ahh. Then the karma police arrived and shot me in the back. Again. And thus ended my glorious time as a Broney driver. Never though I'd be saying that.

Proposition
My final mission of the night. I again opted for something different, and went as an AT assistant. I was told in chat that this meant I simply had to carry ammo. Easy enough. When we spawned we were directed to start climbing a hill. After the laborious climb we sat on top of the hill, and just observed. Using my rangefinder I had a look round the village and just noted the enemy locations. We then headed out in the same direction to some MORE rocks, by this point we had been joined by a fire team from Charlie. This is where I get my first taste of action as enemy started coming from over the hill. The AT launched a rocket into them killing them all. Thanks for leaving some for me x25killa. Moving up further I called out some enemies on topp of a hill close to us, this is where I got my first kill. the majority of the mission continued like this. Move up, kill all sons'a bitches, advance. We rounded the top of the hill and a compound game into sight. By this time I had 4 kills, and was feeling majorly pleased with myself for doing so. Checking the scoreboard told me someone had 33, but that didn't dampen my spirits. slowly advancing on the compound we looted bodies on the way. Once inside my and the AT guy got inside a building and kept watch. We then moved onto the main road and headed towards the main objective, it's here where I saw and enemies on the hill. I dropped to prone, unloaded about 5 bullets in his direction, then caught one in my skull. Really need to work on my aim.

All in all really enjoyed myself, and am pleased that in this, my 3rd FOLK session, I am actually hitting things now. Thanks to all

fer

Post by fer »

Astro Nit wrote:This is my first contribution, so feel free to tell me what I've done wrong ... All in all really enjoyed myself, and am pleased that in this, my 3rd FOLK session, I am actually hitting things now. Thanks to all
Really glad you enjoyed yourself - and nothing at all wrong with your AAR post, comrade Astro Nit!

Internecine DC

Echo FTL: Null
|- Rifleman: Fer

Under pressure from the Party to deliver a rapid victory , comrade commander mingmong opted for a direct assault across the fields to the east of the objective. Hamlets ENE and ESE of the fields were used as jumping off points for A/B/C and D/E/F squads respectively (the FTL of Delta leading D/E/F).

From our jumping off point we moved quickly towards the objective, making use of the surprising amount of cover on offer for the first 100m. However, as we neared the final approach the ground became barren, and I heard my FTL calmly instruct us to re-zero to 200 and remark that this would be where the enemy would hit us. The bullets duly arrived, as if waiting for this cue.

I ran, throwing both my grenades towards the undergrowth ahead at the outskirts of the village. With perhaps 30m to go, I spotted a wounded enemy fighter attempting to crawl back to the safety of nearby structures. I paused long enough to stand, aim and riddle his body with bullets. And for one of his comrades to kill me.

:siiigh:

Note: If transport vehicles are available and the CO chooses to use them - and squads/attachments have not been pre-embarked by the mission maker - then it is the CO's job to unambiguously assign squads to vehicles. S/he can delegate this task to the DC, but please do not leave it to the various elements to sort it out between themselves. An extra 30 seconds invested at the start will deliver faster assaults and greater participation in back-of-the-truck singsongs.

Broney

Squad 10 Puppeteer: Fer

As part of the half of the company assigned to the defence of Nagara, I knew we would be facing the bronegruppa. I did not know that the enemy had nicknamed its IFVs 'Broneys' but would have giggled approvingly had I been informed. Giggled, and then shot them in the face with an RPG-7. Sadly, I never got the chance.

Note: Random trivia, when the Folk sessions were being devised I was reading the wonderful book, The bear went over the mountain, where I first learned of the bronegruppa concept. The AARs in that book heavily influenced the Folk style of mission (see early Folk classics like Highway), but it's taken just under 2 years to get a bronegruppa included in a mission.

Comrade commander Bodge tasked my squad with laying an ambush for the broneys, occupying the rocky high ground south of Nagara and waiting for the enemy to come trundling down the road before hitting them in the side/rear with RPGs. Accordingly, I attempted to disperse my men amongst the rocks and waited, presuming my force to be in concealment if not cover.

The broneys appeared quickly, but had been reading from a different script, peeping over a ridge far to the SE, with spacings of many hundreds of metres between them. Whoever was commanding the bronegruppa was making very sensible uses of their cannons and optics, firing at Nagara from stand-off positions far out of the range of our RPGs. My squad members, despite orders to go prone and find cover, seemed intent on wriggling towards the enemy, and very soon a punishing hail of AP and PKT rounds was shredding the men around me. Remembering my Party training, I immediately recognised the importance of keeping myself alive and hid in some rocks.

Over comms I suspected that horrible combat things were happening in the other half of the green zone, and soon Bodge had given me command over the southern detachment. I ordered squads 6, 7, 8 and 9 to go to ground in various parts of the town, since the obvious response to the broneys' stand-off tactic was to deprive them of targets and lure them in to closer positions (or the town itself).

The enemy did eventually come in closer, but possibly because they were successfully killing targets, rather than being deprived of them. At one stage I believe an IFV was just on the other side of the rocks I was hiding behind, because I could hear very excited chatter coming from the crew (who were busy murderising our troops in the town below). Without even a hand grenade to throw, all I could do was crouch there with my AK on full auto, in case the vehicle's commander should dismount and creep forward for a better view.

After what seemed like a long time, and very substantial casualties on our part, a handful of rockets began to arc away from the town and towards the broneys. As the enemy pulled back I was able to crawl out to the body of one of my men and recover an RPG launcher with two rounds. Moving carefully through the rocks, I made it to a bunker and discovered that at least one of the enemy IFVs had been knocked out. Another was further up the hillside, seemingly immobile. Convinced that the third had retreated back up to the ridge I slung my RPG launcher on my shoulder and headed up the slope to hunt down this final threat - becoming aware that comrade Wolfenswan was now nearby and pursuing a similar tactic.

Near the top of the ridge I encountered at least two enemy dismounts - possibly crew from the final vehicle. They murderised me.

Note: The aiXX missions are something new to the Folk sessions, and balancing them is a skill we have yet to master. Your thoughts and suggestions are really valuable. Similarly, I'd like to hear guests' thoughts on the use of the bronegruppa concept.

:science101:

Proposition

A3 FTL: Fer
|- AR: SuperU
|- AAR: StrangLove
|- RPG: Billy Bunter

Alpha, under comrade mingmong, was to be in the centre of the advance, which itself would follow the road right into the first town. Comrade Ansob's A1 would be the tip of the spear - our job, in A3, was to advance on the right hand side of the road.

We made contact with the enemy early on, encountering a foot patrol on the road east of the first settlement. Soon my fireteam was up on the slope amongst some rocks, pouring SAW fire down onto the little village as the rest of Alpha advanced into the closest structures. With Bravo clearing the higher ground to our right, we gingerly moved amongst a series of small walls and sheds that filled up the ground to the north of the village. Eventually, comrade mingmong was satisfied that A1 and A2 had cleared all enemies, and ordered the whole squad to re-position so that all fireteams were south of the road and better able to see and support each other. I took A3 across the road, hugging the roadside walls of the last few compounds before forming up next to a low wall in the meadow ahead.

The advance through the meadow was a more difficult proposition. Amidst the trees and long grass, low walls and scattered sheds, the enemy was often hard to spot until almost upon us. To the south-west, I could see troops moving to face A1 and called out accordingly on comms. The next few minutes became a frantic close-range firefight during which A1 (and possibly A2) took losses.

My fireteam kept moving, slowly, trying to use low walls as cover. At one stage almost all of Alpha collapsed on in our position, as we grimly held on against fire from both the front and our flank (which we suspected to be friendly fire from Bravo). A single grenade might have wiped out our squad, but with my SAW gunner and then AAR in need of medical attention we had little choice. An enemy infantryman advanced to within grenade 'posting' distance of us before I realised and shot him!

When we were ready to move again, we did so, but slowly. Our next objective was the town, but the cover between us and the nearest structures could just as easily have concealed enemies as us. So I had my fireteam move slowly, often crawling, and made generous use of hand grenades myself. We reached the town intact, then crossed the road minmong's orders, A3 having been tasked with clearing the multi-storey structures there.

Splitting into combat buddy teams, we set about the nervy task of sweeping the floors of each building. I had a nasty shock as I encountered and narrowly won a quick-draw contest with an enemy AR in a building, but comrade Billy Bunter was backing me up, and comrades SuperU and StrangLove appeared to be doing a methodical job in their structures. Then we got a frantic call from comrade mingmong.

Our SL was stuck on the ground floor of a 2-storey structure to our south. Something deeper in the building, or perhaps outside on the heavily fortified Mosque across the road, was putting fire down on him. We attempted to go to his aid, but we're caught by the same enemy fire. I lost comrade Billy Bunter there, and was myself shot - only quick-thinking from comrade StrangLove saved me. By the time I was patched up again, comrade Ansob was in command of Alpha.

We were to assault the mosque, crossing the street and attempting to force our way past the defenders at the eastern gate. I shot at least one myself before being wounded again, and as I was being patched-up I remarked that the man I had just killed had been holding an AK with a night scope. Even in our smaller form, Alpha was still able to breach the entrance, my AR and AAR ascending the stairs on either side to begin clearing the top of the outer walls. I went north with one of them, but the enemy's rooftop positions had obviously been decimated by fire from other squads, as all we found were bodies and unmanned DShKMs.

After a hurried check of the main building and its rooftops, we all rendezvoused at the western gate, then struck out north. I believed we would be joining Bravo, at this point some hundreds of metres up the road. However, we were told that the high value target in this town had not been located, so we were to sweep the buildings again. Finally, the eagle-eyed medic spotted the HVT on the upper story of the building where comrade mingmong had died earlier.

We assaulted the building but were too casual this time. Comrade StrangLove had been the first to mount the stairs located at the back of a garage area, and opened fire on the HVT. It so happened that the HVT was standing almost directly above the entrance into the garage area, so as I came through the door I saw a figure on the stairs (comrade StrangLove) firing in what I mistakenly thought to be my direction. I raised my rifle and fired. I didn't kill StrangLove, as I understand others in the room made a similar mistake; but I probably contributed to his death! The mission ended soon afterwards, with no further action for our squad.

Huge shout out to comrades SuperU, StrangLove and Billy Bunter, who were really superb!

:hist101: