Brainstorm: What makes a good defensive mission?

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
wolfenswan

Brainstorm: What makes a good defensive mission?

Post by wolfenswan »

I'm currently working on a Vietnam-LastStand Type of Map and was thinking:
What makes a defensive mission enjoyable, challenging and replayable?

Thoughts so far (I'll collect them as they come)
- use simple scripts to create random group of enemies at the player's flanks
- if the mission is not fast and brutal, there has to be a rise in challenge for the players
- a defensive mission should not be much longer than 30 minutes.
- make sure all player roles are important (i.e. don't over stress the importance of MGs/ARs)

kataras

Re: Brainstorm: What makes a good defensive mission?

Post by kataras »

How about a defensive mission where you have to pull back to other compounds or sites?
The walk/run to a more fortified position would add a lot of tension I think.
Maybe it could be up to the CO or whoever to judge when it has gotten too much (Is there a mission like that already? It sounds like something I have already played).

jstutters

Post by jstutters »

wolfenswan wrote:- make sure all player roles are important (i.e. don't over stress the importance of MGs/ARs)
Maybe consider splitting the force so some squads have to fight through to reinforce others. Have the MGs with the reinforcing squad so they're not brought into play until later on. The arrival of the MGs would provide a (probably short-lived) sense of relief.

A finale involving the arrival of toys (CAS, armour) just as the defenders are about to be overwhelmed appeals to me.

Joseph-Sulphur

Post by Joseph-Sulphur »

I found this video a while back, and its definitely the most fun defense mission concept I can imagine. Being able to set up your own defences, reinforcement waves, artillery and air support, with a graduated withdrawal at the end, it looks like a hell of a lot of fun. However its pretty complicated and looks like it needs at least a full platoon to work.

I think that a more basic defensive mission, perhaps combining some aspects of Ia Drang, would be fun too. Having a couple of mortars would be interesting, and I think that doing it at night with no NVGs would really improve the atmosphere.