Story driven missions on a larger scale

Kill your comrades. Wholesale
Mojo

Story driven missions on a larger scale

Post by Mojo »

Thanks to a tired mind, and lots of free time at work, I have come up with a idea/plan to scale up the average Folk slaughter we find currently.

I would like to hear your opinions, thoughts, questions and doubts to see if it would be possible to pull off in the normal sessions that we have on Sundays and tuesdays.

Basicly, my idea is to make one large story that will be placed in chernarus and focus on either CDF or Russias side of a large scale combat scenario. As an example we can put this
Russia has invaded northern chernarus and CDF forces are quickly mobilized to stop the assault. The 5th Infantry platoon is leading the charge on the northern airfield with limited armour and fire support.
The mission will be played a few times and depending on the succes/fail rate of the platoon, the next mission will be crafted. Example:
The 5th Infantry platoon hauled so much ass that the CDF forces had to retreat and hide in the surrounding forrests. Meanwhile the 7th armoured is preparing its race across the open fields and emplacements.
The map for the next mission will show the 5th platoons progress and current position but will not be active for the next session. Instead the 7th armoured will be "playable". If the assaults, ambushes and convoys fail, it will set the story back and depending on the importance, have grave consequences for the future missions. Like loosing expensive heavy armour to annoying treehuggers will cause armour support to become more and more limited. Same as loosing helicopters and your helmet in the grass.

In the end of the story it could either become a complete stalemate or end in an epic last stand/assault for the final defeat/victory.
On a small picture it may be the standart folk session but on the bigger picture it becomes a bit important who dies and who stays alive.

Please share your thoughts and opinions, I am eager to hear them!

Mojo out.
Last edited by Mojo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Operation Red Hammer - A dynamic, storydriven, COOP campaign
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=919

Ferrard Carson

Re: Story driven mission on a larger scale

Post by Ferrard Carson »

http://www.folkarps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=516 ;)

I haven't updated that thread in a while, and I really should, but a great number of the missions I make take place in my "Morning War" 'verse. You can usually tell by OpFor being Takistanis with Russian equipment, since Russkies don't have backpacks. Another key sign that it's a "Morning War" mission is if there's a "History" tab in the notes with an entire essay in it. Still, it'd be nice to see what you get up to with a Chernarus-centric plot and the A2 factions.

Of note though - I pretty quickly dispensed with the idea of pure adversarials. I'd recommend just using your campaign plot as fluff or perhaps using the success of a mission to justify additional assets in the next one. I personally use the "Morning War" as fluff, also dispensed with the idea of persistent assets.

Also, if you're going to make plot, go ahead and go into detail! Do research and make it interesting! e.g., Rook Valley is the first operation of 31 Schturmovaya Rota (Russian terminology for an air-assault platoon) in the Takistani AO, and Fulcrum comes after a successful run of Rook Valley and is the last operation of a severely attrited 31 Schturmovaya Rota. Each of those history tabs basically sums up the Operational Picture that the player platoon(s) are operating in. Think of it as arranging a plot for a table-top RPG!

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Mojo

Re: Story driven mission on a larger scale

Post by Mojo »

My plan was to make it a COOP dynamic series, as COOP makes it easier to have platoon size combat scenarios and it puts everyone working together rather than a 30vs30 thingy. Its good to see that I am not the only one who has thought of doing these things atleast :lol:

The main focus for me would be to put the player in a position so that they can see how theyr actions affect the things around them as the story goes on. I draw a lot of my inspiration from the falklands war and in general from the 1980-1990s time. The time in wich the phrase "No time for tactical" was really worth while and equipment was from the cold war storages.

I will have a look at your thread when I wake up ferrard, its 8 in the morning and I need my beauty sleep :v:

Mojo out.
Operation Red Hammer - A dynamic, storydriven, COOP campaign
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=919