The Revolution and You(tube)

All Party-approved topics welcome
Dogface

Re: The Revolution and You(tube)

Post by Dogface »

Welcome aboard, Fluffeh! Our ranks swell. :) Agreed on resolution, though I think for now I'd favour allowing whatever client-mods people are happy to use - I wouldn't want to impose a preference as to having vanilla sounds versus having to run an addon. Up for discussion though of course, like everything!

Anyway, me and Pr3sario had a bit of a chat in TS and covered a few things. Basically the first steps for now are to:

a) get making videos! Share footage to FTP and pull it down to edit it together all purdy-like. I'll be uploading some stuff myself -- AkKind, what's the limit on how much to upload, in terms of disk space? Because I have a lot of archived footage. :P

b) Get working on a guide for recording and editing videos. Just a sketch at this stage, but I'll write out my own process using Dxtory and Premiere and if y'all have different processes to share, then, please do! There can be technical hurdles to recording video so if we can sort those out for people I think we'll get a lot more takeup.

c) As and when any official propaganda officers are available -- no rush! -- I'd love to hear your thoughts on all this.

Just a thought, but if we run out of space or can't use AkKind's server for whatever reason maybe we could supplement it with dropbox - I'm not very handy with it myself, but I could look into setting something up if needed.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Dogface wrote:Just a thought, but if we run out of space or can't use AkKind's server for whatever reason maybe we could supplement it with dropbox - I'm not very handy with it myself, but I could look into setting something up if needed.
Be thou warned, Dropbox often has pretty awful upload rates for big files. And the amount of space most people have on Dropbox is preeetty limited.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Another thing, Dogface! You could stop being so cheap and invest into A2: Reinforcements :D

Seriously, though, at least BAF does make a difference over them blurry textures. PMC is not that important as it mostly comes with horrible weapons we don't use (ya know, those ugly XM-8s) and the characters don't look as bad in low-res.
I'd say ACR is downright useless.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Haha, good point. For ages I was actually running A2:CO as A2:free + OA -- at least I shelled out for regular A2 before I started recording. :P

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Just uploaded files for 2014-01-14 to the FTP; there's a folder for tonight's sesh too so hopefully we'll see some good vids in there!

Considering switching from Premiere to Sony Vegas... if nothing else for the ability to handle files with multiple audio streams!

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Footage for the V+ session last night (2014-01-17) uploaded. Unfortunately I couldn't get good FPS on Jackal Jaunt so it's pretty unusable except maybe as picture-in-picture; Defend Celle was also fairly slow for me. Snipe Hunt went well though and I'd be especially keen to get some more footage from that!

Just some notes on video performance: using my current Dxtory and Handbrake settings, which I'll do a full write-up for shortly, footage for the entire session - 3h21m - took up 12.2GB before transcoding, and 4.37GB after transcoding. That's at 720P with, apparently, pretty decent quality. I found no significant difference in framerate between running it and not running it - maybe 1FPS. The conversion took around 2 hours of Handbrake working in the background, and about 5 minutes of work to set it up. Uploading was quick too, maybe 30-60 minutes with my fairly fast connection. And bear in mind, my computer is quite crappy. All in all, I think this process is something many people should be able to handle. :)
Last edited by Dogface on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

I Had a bit of a disaster last night. Only recorded my mic sounds. Still have the footage if it's wanted.
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Not sure I'd be able to use that, but no worries - hopefully we'll get a bumper yield of video from Sunday. :)

Pr3sario

Post by Pr3sario »

New Windows install basically means taking it for granted that you've set everything up properly - but I hadn't. I forgot to do little bits and pieces here and there. Had to drop out to try and sort a sound issue on TS, then traced it all back to a bad set up in VAC :(
I make videos starring you lot. To see yourself live or die just click here

Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Dogface wrote: c) As and when any official propaganda officers are available -- no rush! -- I'd love to hear your thoughts on all this.
Several have posted general positive thoughts, are there any questions in particular you want answering. Super holds general dominion over the FA main channel I would think that quality videos added periodically to the channel would be a great thing with the following qualifiers;

Vids need to be branded appropriately - Unedited intro, suitable title/description on YT.
Watchable - Short, snappy, free of fluff.
Well edited - including concise commentary, clear legible annotations or titles.
Suitable content - gives the right impression of what we are about.