Helicopters: tips, controls, personal preferences

All Party-approved topics welcome
Ferrard Carson

Re: Helicopters: tips, controls, personal preferences

Post by Ferrard Carson »

tryteyker wrote:The technique for Blackhawk+ is a little different, as you can't turn like a maniac and land.
I beg to differ! :dance:

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

SuperU

Post by SuperU »

A couple of videos that example the type of flight you would want to achieve are linked below.

I use an xbox 360 controller for my flight, and I must say that I really do like my set up, I have left stick for the cyclic, right stick for head movement (cheap mans track ir!) and then the variable triggers as the rudder. I use buttons for collective, I find that it is a really intuitive interface.

On the topic of A3 flight, the "flight model" is actually really quite nice now (latest beta/dev build) and I would highly recommend practice inside of A3 because hell its the future!!! ... :siiigh:

tryteyker

Post by tryteyker »

Well Ferrard, good point. That essentially means the Littlebird is NO different to any other helicopter. And as an answer to your question Thirith, you'll want to use the MH-6J found in the US Army tab. The AH-6J variant is the Attack Helicopter variant, means instead of transport skids you get rockets and miniguns. It doesn't matter for practice though, unless you want to practice strafing runs.

boberro

Post by boberro »

AH-6J has also broken instruments I believe (showing mirrored image).
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

My apologies for the thread necromancy, but I've got a question resulting from flying a bit more: I'm flying with a KB+M setup, sometimes using TrackIR. Once thing I think I might be doing wrong is this: after I take off, I usually keep my finger on the Collective Up button, pretty much treating it as if it were a throttle button on a gamepad. Does that make any sense, or do I just keep Collective Up pressed until I lift off and after that I just use Collective Up/Down for specific manoeuvres?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

In ArmA's simplified flight model, it's not wrong at all. It means you can increase your angle-of-attack (and thus your acceleration) more before you start trading too much altitude for speed.

For fastest travel, you should fly in a straight line, tilted forward about 25-35 degrees, with full up-collective.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Thanks, Ferrard. Will keep that in mind.

I am somewhat lazy at hooking up the TrackIR usually, but I realised today that even as a poor to mediocre heli pilot I find it so much easier to fly with it. One thing that I'm not particularly good at is judging height and distance, but if I can move my head freely I get a much better feel for where the heli is with respect to its surroundings. I just wish that the Pro Clip didn't fall apart so easily... and I wish there were more heli training missions.
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango