Wargame: Red Dragon

Games that are not ArmA2 or Flight Sims

Moderator: oldhosts

Aqarius
Host

Re: Wargame: Red Dragon

Post by Aqarius »

Anything that doesn't end with me being only idiot who doesn't jump to BLUFOR as soon as he joins the match :roll:
[/allegedly]

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

T-34 stronk. Also, I've come to love the new Czech reservists in their little dinky WWII relics. All shall come to fear the Zaloznici!

I hope it's not too late to have a FOLK ARPS Wargame, is it?

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Was gonna say 'friday' and realised it IS friday.

...monday?
[/allegedly]

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Sup. I see no one's posted here for a few months. Nordic DLC and all's out, too. I'm all for Thursday/Friday/Saturday.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

SuicideKing : There are the occasional adhoc runs started by our able Skype chat members. Feel free to organize a date/time for a larger viewership in here. In my experience, the more specific, the better the odds.

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Lotsa Wargame going on these days.

Find me in the steam group and add me, or send me a message here if you want to play.

We will play tonight sometime after 1700GMT. Come come.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Yup, Saturday sessions especially seem to enjoy a larger turnout, and we'll try and keep it regular - usually after 1700 GMT as audiox mentioned. :hist101:

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

We're playing this game again from time to time.

If you need an introduction to the game, this video makes some excellent all around points:

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Here are my decks:

BLUFOR

Blue Dragons
YfgQSknIt2XJKV+Hms5LNDnLfmW2zqpZu/A0MmUZxUAkplqCLov6i4NFqT3dJjoSKZBUdkSVpiMNSYqDT+I1EiKn+ambbA==

Blue Dragons - Mechanized
YcgWW0MtZm27zd+Fm8BopX4TdlyitfiODT0zXV0VT6sqIDIkl7zOI0NQCtQSIoukZKfxP6i4TcGi2ajMNSYpUU/zU5baLhWe

UK (may be missing a plane)
DXgQYF09Ei6yyt1kxDrItB2boT0iU095RPRdUheZsGNIaEMqGZC6hhQ9oZE8SRJDuhzM3KeVPindDknLQ4TBgA==

Sweden (borrowed from Aqarius)
NXgQtxeNZ/tCIXcmQsyTbJzOO7Qtu2gk29x3g7OdpM6jGVRi3VaSttW1GdCGK2o7WeeW9LeVvbv5b3MCmCA=

REDFOR

USSR
jXgOTnYUsCKBnsU1O4wqdXnLBjC0NekTUgVLroMm6KkAt6XDLiJxk5CR9JUk1MCoE03RYZPogDIGEIEB6T1qKiwT2F2TIoA=

USSR Mechanized
jUgWWBYVFqEynsJ1PYYudBXZvlYmDKxIYViYQrIhr0k5ysQ9CaiwxgVAGgVQJkDEB6RxI+kqSapN03TLBr82aYZJ7BKyl4yMnrQkl1w=

USSR Armoured
jRgMi1CZT2FqnsMUwhWI3ysRzsKQrQ9FhzAompAGgTQKoDUB8NyI40faVNNWnsTGKBFFQkl103SLBBkmaT6J7FIDmZPY

USSR Airborne
jVgYWBfpsQMKYJ+lOr9JhBhZvjAmDGGIaMEQ16XO4So52FdpvSQgE1FhjAqEhAmgdIEoLC66dJG2hBQet9E9idlu2nRkzSX1GymRyQ5A

NSWP Mechanized
ssgSqYaZUsZZJKnlSpyurwuSKjRJ4hKEO9COQKRNJQ8v8T4VApElWCr9NCkHRRKglWqGou8iabPKz1BDbJPEqzSUGU05wA==

China
pXgORrVNTeqKoqi0N6uucIPQ4IApuWYoCYGE+ofUSqW9Gil2S4pckr5gNK4laTMI2FBSguREiWTIplVBil0w6A==

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Not gonna comment on all decks, just a few observations:
  • Rather than generalizing it's always best to play to a nation's strength. (e.g. build a GDR deck around the Mot-Schutzen).
  • Mix of cheap and expensive options is important. Too many unicorns (US) or expensive stuff (USSR) is a bad idea.
  • Line infantry isn't there to kill things, it's there to take fire while your shock and commandos don't. If your only line infantry costs 25pt+ a piece, you can't get enough meat shields.
  • If possible you want a few quick units for the early rush. A transport only helo opener is suicide, wheeled is always better in that case.
  • Fire Support is important in forests. Engage infrantry with your infantry first, then move the vehicles in. FS should be plentyful and cheap. E.g. GDR BMP-1, ZSU, base T72.
  • Almost all coalitions have a 15-30pt "good" optics unit. They are great to spread around and some (the autocannon ones) are actually great flankers).
  • Excp. optics are rarely worth it. More eyes is better than a single pair of good ones.
  • Howitzer are terrible. Mortars, high-end MLRS and the high-end artillery pieces (e.g. ONDAVA, Caesar, Paladin etc.) are worth taking.
Here are two decks of mine, I'd suggest comparing them to yours and figuring out why I picked which unit:
NSWP

USSR

Commonwealth

Blue Dragons