What is the Folk ARPS 2015 Platoon?

What you really need to know about Folk ARPS and ArmA 3
fer

What is the Folk ARPS 2015 Platoon?

Post by fer »

Is this going to be another question and answer thing?
Kinda, but with more text; and possibly some diagrams.

Is there any required pre-reading?
Yes, please read Getting started with TeamSpeak 3 (for ArmA 3).

Okay, back.
Great. Let's begin:

What is a fireteam?
A fireteam consists of 6 men and is led by the Fireteam Leader (FTL):

What do the colours mean?
A fireteam has 2 colour teams:
  • Blue is the base-of-fire sub-element; with up to 2 automatic riflemen, it can be used to deliver a high volume of direct fire upon the enemy.
  • Red is the manoeuvre sub-element; with its assault rifles and hand grenades, it can be used to quickly flank, close with and kill the enemy.
How do members of a fireteam talk to each other?
Group VON. Please ensure you have a key or mouse button binding that allows you to push-to-talk on Group VON.

What is an infantry squad?
An infantry squad consists of 2 fireteams and Squad Medic, and is led by a Squad Leader (SL). Squads have names like Alpha and Charlie. Fireteams are numbered and identified by their squad, e.g. Alpha 1, Charlie 2.

How do members of a squad talk to each other?
TeamSpeak - each squad is assigned its own channel. Please ensure you have a key or mouse button binding that allows you to push-to-talk on TeamSpeak. Although any member of a squad can use TeamSpeak in an emergency, the squad's channel is primarily for the SL and FTLs.

What is an infantry platoon?
An infantry platoon consists of up to 3 infantry squads and is led by a Commander (CO). The CO may also have a JTAC, UAV operator and Platoon Medic in his immediate group.

Do the colours mean anything?
No, but our in-game map markers use these colours to help you spot the different squads and attachments more easily.

How do members of a platoon talk to each other?
The CO, SLs and leaders of any attachments communicate via TeamSpeak Channel Commander (CC). Please ensure you have a key or mouse button binding that allows you to push-to-talk on CC (and another to toggle CC on). It's okay to listen to CC if you are not a leader.

Who is the Deputy Commander?
The Deputy Commander (DC) role is available in some larger missions, and is next in line to command the platoon if the CO is killed. The DC may also have a JTAC, UAV operator and Platoon Medic in his immediate group. In such larger missions, the DC is often used to co-ordinate some of the platoon's attachments.

What is an attachment?
Attachments are typically 2-man elements that can be used to add a specific type of special weapon to the platoon. Examples include:
  • Medium Machinegun #1 (MMG1)
  • Heavy Anti-Tank #2 (HAT2)
How do members of an attachment talk to each other?
Group VON.

How are attachments organised within an infantry platoon?
This depends on the CO.

How do members of an attachment talk to the platoon?
For attachments assigned to a squad, the attachment leader uses the squad's TeamSpeak channel to communicate with the SL. When under the command of the CO or DC, attachment leaders will use the HQ or other TeamSpeak channel - or CC if requested by the CO.

What is a mechanised platoon?
A mechanised platoon consists of up to 3 mechanised squads and a command vehicle, and is led by a Commander (CO). The CO may also have a JTAC, UAV operator and Platoon Medic in his immediate group.

The way that the Army / Marines / Jehovah's Witnesses organise their platoons is better! We should-
-totally trust in the wisdom of the Party and Ferrard Carson Industries (the state-owned defence contractor that manufactures Folk ARPS 2015 Platoon)? Absolutely. Now get on the troop transport, comrade.

:colbert:

Wait! Wait! WAIT! ... Are there any tips you can offer me, just before I head out?
Actually, there are a few things you should try to do:
  • Within a fireteam, be ready to step up if your FTL dies! Seniority within the fireteam follows the order of slotting: automatic rifleman #1 is 2IC, then automatic rifleman #2, then the assaultman (AT) ... and then your fireteam pretty much ceases to exist. The two riflemen roles are ideal places for new comrades to slot.
  • As an FTL, be sure to re-consolidate and reassess your fireteam after each engagement! Remember that your riflemen in the manoeuvre sub-element are carrying spare ammo for your automatic riflemen in the base-of-fire sub-element.
  • At the fireteam level, make good use of successive bounding overwatch, as helpfully outlined in TTP3. Within each fireteam, the two colour teams are split very purposefully into distinct base-of-fire sub-elements to fix the enemy with fire and manoeuvre elements to flank or assault the enemy. Be sure to re-consolidate your fireteam after the engagement has concluded.
  • At the squad level, make good use of alternating bounding overwatch. Within each squad, both fireteams are very robust and powerful sub-units, capable of acting as either a base-of-fire or manoeuvre element, trading off roles as the squad advances using fire-and-manoeuvre to leapfrog fireteams past one another in quick succession.
  • As CO, assign objectives to your SLs, then allow your SLs to use their two fireteams as they see fit in order to accomplish those objectives.
Got it. I think. Wait, is there anything I shouldn't do?
Lots. Here are some to things to watch out for:
  • As an FTL, don't treat your colour teams as independent units with sub-leaders. Your fireteam operates as a whole in support of the other fireteam (or vehicle) in your squad, and you are the brains telling the other five what to do. Think of your colour teams as polygamous-battle buddies, not independent units!
  • As an SL, don't split your fireteams beyond the range of mutual support. Your squad is the smallest unit with which to accomplish an independent objective such as "Seize the outpost on Hill 138." Use your fireteams to support one another in order to accomplish your squad's objectives!
  • As CO, do not give assignments to individual fireteams within a squad. Your SLs will manage their own fireteams; your job is to control the flow of the platoon as a whole and not get bogged down in the specifics of any one engagement.
Oh comrade ... I ... I don't feel ready for this. How am I expected to survive?
HA HA HA! You are a witty one, comrade! Now, really, and before I draw my Makarov ... Get. On. The. Troop. Transport.

:commissar: