Vicarious mission making - ideas for Party engineers

Workshop for all Mission Engineer Comrades. Home of the FA Mission Making Template.
SuicideKing
Host

Vicarious mission making - ideas for Party engineers

Post by SuicideKing »

Здравствуйте товарищи!
(Hello comrades!)

Since my self-induced exile to semi-capitalist country (where I no doubt work covertly as Agrarian Revolutionary, all hail the Party), my hobby of mission making has been taken from me, and due to evil corporate schemes, I am unable to "obtain" new computer. So I will use this thread to post mission ideas and concepts. If you like them, please feel free to turn them into playable missions.

This first post will contain a list of mission ideas in the thread, with links to the particular post (so that if there are intervening posts discussing it, you can still find the missions).

Feel free to contribute more ideas if you too are trapped in capitalist country without access to pristine fields of Motherland.

1. Wargame
2. Recon Ops
3. Finale XL (Remake)
Last edited by SuicideKing on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

SuicideKing
Host

Re: Vicarious mission making - ideas for Party engineers

Post by SuicideKing »

Mission Idea: "Wargame" (Alternative names: "Ares", "Mars"...yeah I'm not that creative when it comes to names)

Type: Zeus, Co-op

General concept:
Both sides (Zeus, players) fight over an AO that contains some "zones". These zones will have some perks, like artillery, statics, AAA, rockets, rearm/repair hubs, etc. Both sides get an FOB - this is the perk for the starting zone. How this functions will be detailed later. Anyway, the zones can only be controlled if there is a leadership element in them, i.e. CO/DC/SL. Further, some additional AI vehicles will be assigned to either CO or DC - these will be wheeled jeeps/MRAPS or tanks. These are command vehicles, and can also be captured. They will be CARELESS to make them behave properly. Zeus gets similar vehicles (pre placed) for capturing Zones. Vehicles will be marked as command vehicles (including player CVs, if any, like CO and DC's IFVs) with flags attached to them.

Game wins when either side destroys all enemy command units, and FOB. Alternatively, if all players are dead before the next respawn wave spawns, they lose.

How FOBs Work:

For Players
FOBs are the starting point for the game, and for any respawn waves (unless players control a zone with a land corridor). Command vehicles, some AAA, helicopters for CAS. FOB is destroyed when all units within, or a special unit/building is destroyed. Should be something that Zeus can destroy fairly easily.

For Zeus
FOB contains supply and medical trucks (maybe 2 of each type?), CVs. Zeus is not allowed to spawn more supply trucks, or add any more CVs (so make sure s/he has enough - 1.5x no. of zones should be good).

Regarding Zone Perks:
Only if a zone is controlled by a command element, are the perks allowed to be used. So, for example, AI controlled AAA will only be active if zone is controlled, otherwise it becomes CARELESS, and gets set to HOLD FIRE. Similarly, Artillery will get added to JTACs' support menu only if the zone is controlled. Some zones may grant an aircraft CAS run or heli supply drop, same rules apply.

For Zeus, there will be nothing pre-placed, since that won't make sense. But, Zeus can only use fire support modules if the appropriate unit is placed in the AO. Zeus is subject to costs. Zeus gets certain points per minute for every zone controlled, just like wargame. Income rate can be set via mission params.

Player Zeus
It may be a good idea to either grant Zeus to the CO and/or DC, but only allocate points to them once they control zones (like the OPFOR Zeus - and by OPFOR I just mean "opposing force to players", doesn't have to be CSAT). These points should only be used for calling in airstrikes, not shells. Could also be used for controlling AI command vehicles more precisely, or directing supply trucks from the FOB.

Alternatively, BLUFOR (again, generic BLUFOR, not necessarily NATO) could get a dedicated Zeus that respond to the CO's requests, and control allied AI. This may enable thinks like armoured support, etc. Again, this Zeus will have cost restrictions, and earns income proportionally to how well players are doing.

Contested Zones
In Wargame, contested zones means no income on both sides - this will be true here as well. Since Zone Perks can't be used by Zeus, this will activate for players even if the zone is contested. Of course, if OPFOR is already present, they will attack those assets - so make sure to set them captive until players control zone.

Air/Land Corridors
If you want, you may make it such that any zone with a road running through it can act as a a reinforcement corridor. Players will wave respawn at FOB but can teleport some distance (say 500m) outside the AO, on the side of this zone. Zeus can similarly spawn units in a similar location if they control the zone.

Spawn zone should be an air corridor, if it's taken (i.e. FOB is destroyed), that side can't use any aircraft - be that CAS or for supply drops.

How to Zeus This
You're only allowed to spawn units reinforcements behind your FOB and preferably outside the AO. As mentioned above, you can also do this in Land Corridors. If you can sneak units behind player's lines then that's fine, but don't make them go outside the AO. If you're extra cheeki breeki, try sending a helicopter with troops, or an attack helo right around to the FOB. :commissar:

Do NOT be accurate with your arty etc. It should only be to scare them. AI are fair game. You can only use fire support on units that your units can see. Yes you can use recon :D

I think that's all. Improvise on this, improve this...I realise that this is more a game mode than a mission, but oh well. :science101:

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Mission Idea: "Recon Ops"

Type: Co-op

Time: Maybe best suited for night time, but up to you.

BLUFOR: NATO/CTRG/CSAT
OPFOR: AAF/NATO/CSAT

General Concept: There is a compound/town/base where some object/vehicle/thing is hidden. Alternatively, could be a base or HQ, with some HVT inside. Area is heavily defended. Main platoon assaults area and distracts defenders (use GUARD waypoints). Recon inserts via another route, using an unarmed LSV. Recon must take out static AAA, so that aircraft CAS can be used. Then, Recon must push into the area, identify key targets for CAS. Final objective needs to be taken out with an LGB of some sort, but needs to be identified first. The rest of the Platoon must wait for Recon to extract (or help them, either way) and then pull out.

Platoon: 2x Motorised Infantry Squads, supported by IFVs (Marshall/Kamysh) + 1 Tank. Recon consists of 1 six man team in an unarmed LSV. Aircraft provides CAS. Suggested attachments are MAT, MMG, HAT, MSAM. CO could get an MRAP.

Recon: Silenced weapons, at least 1 laser designator with team leader (GP), 1 marksman, 1 medic, 1 demolitions engineer, 2 riflemen.

Fire support: Could include arty/mortars, although I would just keep it to smoke rounds. Maybe script something that lets multiple batteries fire together?

CAS: Just make sure it has LGBs. Blackfish may be too OP, and anyway jets don't get enough love in FA missions. You'll maybe need to give the pilot something to do before the AAA is taken out, like rearming/refueling the plane.
(side note; we need more friendly Hinds in missions!)

OPFOR composition: 1 tank, 1 static AAA, 2 IFVs, a few armed LSVs and/or MRAPs patrolling the place. Infantry patrols and garrisons. Static emplacements (HMG/AT/AA). AA may need play-testing, or make it easy for Recon to take out. Bunkers, etc. Make it really tough for the main force to get into town...safely. May also be good to add helo CAS. Reinforcements can exist too.

OPFOR Static AAA: Put it somewhere Recon can sneak up to, this should be the first objective. Maybe a not very well guarded outpost somewhere nearby.

I think that's it! :science101:

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

So for recon ops, sounds like there would be like 3 or 4 objective locations on the map. 1st is the Main compound which is always heavily guarded. Second is the AAA position which is heavily guarded but becomes easier to beat once objective 3 or 4 is attacked by general platoon. (Objectives not numbered by order to be completed, but by significance). 1st objective will never be breached by blufor because the idea is that once objective 2 is complete, the recon element will be able to call cas on the objective 1 target, destroying it with air? And objective 2 can only be completed safely/easily once platoon is engaged at the distraction objective

Or it also looks like you mention that the platoon distract could draw enough people out to allow recon to move in and identify multiple valuable targets. I guess I'm curious what targets those ought to be that wouldn't make sense for recon to blow up with satchels?

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

AAA position shouldn't really be heavily guarded, imo. It's just a 6 man team after all, and the pilot shouldn't have to wait too long to take off/be useful.

As for the other objectives: idea is that recon can't actually reach the final objective safely, just get LoS. So if it is some kind of HQ building, the general area should be known but not the exact building. Maybe makes more sense in a built up area, where you can't just level the entire place via arty or rockets, nor can you see clearly inside town from a distance.

Same logic for the other "objectives"*, may be too tough for recon to close in safely, so they call CAS. And of course, only one person has the charges, so recon may not have enough by the time they move inside. Unfortunately vanilla content doesn't really have ATGM vehicles or other stuff that may be too big for light recon infantry to kill by themselves.

*These should only be incidental objectives, i.e. things that recon sees as threats to themselves/main force and can alert CAS. If that's too complex then probably good to let it be :D

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

Something I could probably do is as follows:

6 Man Recon Team - We'll call them Juliett
Alpha and Bravo Squad with CO - as Platoon
I'm skipping a CAS pilot since I think they might have too much downtime for a human, and could be easily replaced with AI.

Three objective locations - HVT zone, AAA position, and Distraction Objective.
- Map wise this would probably look like a mountain inbetween two towns, one town is where the distraction objective is, another is where the HVT is. AAA near top of mountain.

HVT zone: This would have a randomly placed HVT/randomly moving HVT, and a lot of EI and emplacements, too much for the platoon or recon to handle. From the mountain, recon would be able to see the town, but may have to move around a bit to get actual eyes on the HVT.

AAA position: This would be guarded by a couple squads I think at the beginning, but most would be told to move once the platoon attacks the distraction objective. This will force recon to remain stealthy and not attack until the position is vulnerable. Once most of the guards are gone, maybe 3-5 guys remain guarding it. Recon moves in, takes them out, and destroys the AAA gun. Destroying the AAA gun will allow recon to call in CAS plane, but will alert some guards in the HVT zone to move up the hill towards the AA position. The recon team will have to survive long enough/displace to a better position, and then laser designate the HVT for the CAS plane (Once upon a time in A2 I knew how to make an AI plane attack a laser designated position).

Distraction Objective: This would be a fairly standard secure and defend some point in a town. Pretty much as soon as platoon gains a foothold, reinforcements from AAA position and HVT zone start moving off in the direction of this objective. Platoon just has to fight long enough for Recon to do its job.

Juliett/Recon: Objective is to wait for AAA to be lightly defended, destroy AA, then find a spot to laser designate the HVT from.

Platoon: Objective is to attack the distraction objective, which forces EI away from areas where they could threaten Recon/Juliett

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

That sounds pretty damn good Costno! :jihad:

Only note of caution: AI CAS is really unreliable, and may not work at all, especially planes. Downtime is an issue (and of course the reason planes are underused). Maybe, give the plane pilot more targets (gun runs would look cool from the ground), and set an AI plane (or two) loose on their tail? I don't know the exact solution.

Another possibility is laser guided arty (if manned by human player then could possibly provide more fire support roles as well, like smoke). Still not incredibly exciting, but Kefirz is known for his danger close arty (s)kills. :lol:

Costno
Host

Post by Costno »

I would do some testing, but I would think that laser guided AI plane bombs or laser guided artillery would be sufficiently accurate. Might actually have a chance to use that AI patrolling through building positions, then have the AI HVT stand in a building spot for like 2-4 minutes before moving to another. Recon just has to spot which building that is (I would pick specific buildings that recon would be able to watch the doors of from a single spot) and laze it and wait for the rain. Might work. Might not :p

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Long time ago there was this mission called Finale XL, where the 3rd International would defend a line against one or two waves of enemies (just like in WW2). It was positioned in a strategic place where there was a little culvert.

With the added content of Tanoa (read RPG's and AK's) it could be redone. Preferably on Altis, because of the barren terrain and hills, giving it a middle eastern feel. (Or maybe on a barren hilltop somewhere in Tanoa, giving it a Vietnam era FOB, under siege feel.)

Anyway, for me it was one of the most memorable and awesome missions of A2 and it would be nice to see it remade.

''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

Costno - sure, if you can make it work then it's all good :lol: I personally couldn't get AI CAS to behave. As for the rest of your implementation idea, I love it, it's pretty solid, doooo itttttt! :3

Kefirz - thanks, added to the list in the OP.