Co-op Missions and enemy units with F3

Workshop for all Mission Engineer Comrades. Home of the FA Mission Making Template.
DeadlyCabbage

Co-op Missions and enemy units with F3

Post by DeadlyCabbage »

Hello,

I was wondering how FA's mission makers approach placing enemy elements in a co-op mission. Do you use the default Arma loadouts and groups or copy the units from the opposition side that are pre-created in F3? Obviously in a co-op mission you would have to make them not "playable"...

Si

Black Mamba

Re: Co-op Missions and enemy units with F3

Post by Black Mamba »

I'll speak for myself here, I almost always use the default arma groups and loadouts. Using the F3 units would probably create quite a bit of an overload for the server (I'm talking missions with a 40-60 playercount in mind here).
My way of doing things usually involve overpopulating the area (my typical FA coop includes about 3-400 AI units), and scripting to position the groups relatively randomly (in A2, UPSMON can be an easy option to do that). The groups themselves are either default BI groups, or editor-created groups.

So if I need to alter the loadout on certain AI units, I'll do it straight from the editor, then copy paste those units as needed.

Basically, the units pre-placed in the editor are the different versions of the FA platoon, and should only be used for playable units.

DeadlyCabbage

Post by DeadlyCabbage »

That's really useful thanks :D

My main concern is that the default Arma groups seem better equipped in terms of scopes and so on than the FA platoons - i know you guys like a challenge!!

Si

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I mostly use pre-defined ARMA units but sometimes fine tune them a bit (e.g. AI RPG gunners tend to have too many rockets or removing scoped weapons).

For my missions I usually create 3-4 groups that are appropriate for the mission w. waypoints (e.g. one patroling, one defendending etc.) and copy them as needed, adjusting only where necessary. One thing I like to do is place empty enemy vehicles (driver locked ;) ) and move a AI only in the gunners seat. Makes for a nice elevated turret or less-squishy static.

Nothun

Post by Nothun »

According to my knowledge, Fer is planning to do a tutorial on F3 Coop missions... ;)
"We all make mistakes, just none as grave as yours" -Spitnam after a Blue on Blue

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nothun/