Now that Folk ARPS is moving to Arma 3...

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Thirith

Now that Folk ARPS is moving to Arma 3...

Post by Thirith »

... what are the things you think you'll miss most and least about the Arma 2 sessions? And what are you most and least excited about as far as moving to Arma 3 is concerned?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

Dogface

Re: Now that Folk ARPS is moving to Arma 3...

Post by Dogface »

I'll most of all miss the Soviet-Afghan era technology and locations. It's one of my favourite little niches of history and it was amazing to get to be so immersed in it for so long; the factions were recognisable and had known and historical 'personalities' and associations behind them. Also, that setting lent itself well to the 'low tech, rough and ready' equipment style of Folk, making it easier to avoid excessive scopes n' vehicles n' such.

I'll also miss the FPS because A3 generally performs worse for me than A2. And JSRS and STHud. But I can get those back with my upcoming PC upgrade and actually bothering to work out how to get addons into A3, I'm sure it's very simple.

However, having been messing with the A3 mission editor I'm increasingly coming round to it. The factions aren't quite as 'blank' and personality-less as I'd thought, there are some neat toys of both high *and* low tech, some great possibilities with things like Zeus, and it goes without saying that the engine is way prettier and just generally improved. Like the setting or not, we clearly had to move on sometime and now seems like a good time. At the end of the day, Arma is what *we* make of it with the tools BI provides, and although I was a bit iffy on it at first, it seems clear that BI have given us a damned good tool.

Having said that I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we ever implemented a working version of All in Arma. :P

dancemoox

Post by dancemoox »

Dogface wrote:Having said that I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we ever implemented a working version of All in Arma. :P
That sort of thing is the purview of the V+ futures office of strategic planning and those comrades are all out on better decision making team building workshops for the next 9 months...

Remember that you can get the recommended weekly intake of A2 era equipment plus a supplemental dose of good for the ears ACRE at V+
ramming speed!

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

I see what you mean about the rough and ready style of Folk, Dogface. Even the guerillas use Tavors, and the armed Offroad is the only armed vehicle without FLIR. At least Arma 3 feels less clunky. While grenades are a bit too easy to accidently throw, it's helpful to seperate it from different weapon modes instead of making one big mess. Also, just the mouse movement feels a lot better. Of course, then there's the new stances, which are just great. Also Altis runs better for me than Chernarus, despite being larger.

I think the thing I'll miss most of A2 sessions is Aziz. No doubt about it. On the other hand... good bye clunky mouse movement. Besides, we have Stavrou and other replacements.

I'm excited for what horrible things we'll encounter when the hosts play with Zeus. Honorable Judge Makarov replaced by Honorable Judge Lightning? Also, it's really refreshing to have a fresh mix-up of weapons and having three fairly balanced modern militaries, ranking from CSAT to NATO to AAF in quality I'd say. Although, I wish the damage system was better in Arma 3. It's bad enough when I miss with my 7.62x51mm rifle, but when I hit in my spray and pray and he's still standing happily? That's just annoying.

head

Post by head »

Dogface wrote:I'll most of all miss the Soviet-Afghan era technology and locations. It's one of my favourite little niches of history and it was amazing to get to be so immersed in it for so long; the factions were recognisable and had known and historical 'personalities' and associations behind them. Also, that setting lent itself well to the 'low tech, rough and ready' equipment style of Folk, making it easier to avoid excessive scopes n' vehicles n' such.

I'll also miss the FPS because A3 generally performs worse for me than A2. And JSRS and STHud. But I can get those back with my upcoming PC upgrade and actually bothering to work out how to get addons into A3, I'm sure it's very simple.

However, having been messing with the A3 mission editor I'm increasingly coming round to it. The factions aren't quite as 'blank' and personality-less as I'd thought, there are some neat toys of both high *and* low tech, some great possibilities with things like Zeus, and it goes without saying that the engine is way prettier and just generally improved. Like the setting or not, we clearly had to move on sometime and now seems like a good time. At the end of the day, Arma is what *we* make of it with the tools BI provides, and although I was a bit iffy on it at first, it seems clear that BI have given us a damned good tool.

Having said that I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we ever implemented a working version of All in Arma. :P
Mod system works the same as in A2.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19582 <- my launcher

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Dogface wrote:Having said that I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we ever implemented a working version of All in Arma. :P
Ditto. By the way, is All in Arma the go-to mod to play Chernarus etc. in Arma 3? Does anyone know how it compares to the Arma 3 Map Pack (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23863)?
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Ditto. By the way, is All in Arma the go-to mod to play Chernarus etc. in Arma 3? Does anyone know how it compares to the Arma 3 Map Pack
A3MP is far superior for the maps. AiA is still buggy and glitchy.

harakka

Post by harakka »

I will miss the forests of Chernarus and playing as NAPA guerrillas. There's just something about jeans and Bundeswehr parkas. Oh, and shitty AKs. Not because they're shitty, but because they usually make engagements more close and personal.

My secret dream is that a mod team uses the resources BI released and gets the A2 content to work in A3 at a decent level, then they win the Make Arma Not War contest with it, and then it gets integrated into A3 proper. And then I win the lottery and Juliette Lewis performs a solo gig in our living room. Oh well, a freedom fighter can dream.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

Rook

Post by Rook »

I'm afraid the cover system, movement and sense of immersion available in A3 has me firmly supporting the change. However I will miss the locations and as mentioned before, 'low-tech' engagements with nothing but a trusty frag and a crooked AK.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

I'll miss domination, crazy race and tankicious :laugh:

Oh and weapon resting :P huehuehuehue
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott