DLC, expansions and free stuff, oh my!

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
harakka

Re: DLC, expansions and free stuff, oh my!

Post by harakka »

Thirith wrote:Can someone give a rough description of how the Take On Helicopters flight model differs from the Arma 3 one?
The TOH flight model is a simulation of helicopter flight (via a 3rd party library called RotorLib, if someone wants to look that up). Your control inputs translate to modifying the properties of a helicopter's control surfaces, thus changing the physical forces affecting the helicopter in various ways, which ends up making the helicopter move through the air in a manner governed by laws of physics.

The Arma flight model takes your control inputs, adjusts them a bit based on how fast and in what direction the helicopter is moving, and then changes the helicopter's direction of movement and velocity accordingly. It doesn't know anything about the helicopter being a lump of metal hanging off from a spinning rotor disk pushing air around or anything. It's just "push stick there, helicopter turns there" with minor adjustments.

The TOH flight model doesn't necessarily have to make flying helicopters massively more difficult (depending on what sorts of flight model parameters they set up for the choppers), but it makes the helicopters act more realistically. Stunts that are difficult to pull off in a helicopter in real life will become harder to pull off in a helicopter in Arma than they are now.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

The ToH Flightmodel isn't necessary for slingloading/fast-roping.
The A-/MH-9 is almost exact to the "Small Helicopter" in ToH and you can even enable the ToH "UI Controls"(y'know where you look at click at what you want to start/use) on it.

ToH Flightmodel should make emergency landings a bit easier since it simulates the air pushing up against the helo when you're just above the ground ;)
But it's all speculative until we see for sure what BIS has done...

Regarding the DLC's overall I really hope that BIS goes the BAF/PMC way and not the ACR way, but knowing BIS... :psyduck:

head

Post by head »

ToH will most likely make helicopter easier.

boberro

Post by boberro »

Medic Eugene Roe wrote:I for one am excited. Although, I wonder what particular weapons can be fired from vehicles? Just rifles? Pistols, rockets? What about sealed off vehicles? Will windows roll down when soldiers put their guns up? So many questions.
I'd bet that they'll do it just as smooth as they added backpacks in Arma 2, that is vehicles made before this feature is added, won't support it.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

head

Post by head »

boberro wrote:
Medic Eugene Roe wrote:I for one am excited. Although, I wonder what particular weapons can be fired from vehicles? Just rifles? Pistols, rockets? What about sealed off vehicles? Will windows roll down when soldiers put their guns up? So many questions.
I'd bet that they'll do it just as smooth as they added backpacks in Arma 2, that is vehicles made before this feature is added, won't support it.
They said they would update all the old choppers to rotorlib, so most likely they will

There is a big differences in workload to upgrade A2 things to backpack soldiers and fixing the the few vehicles we have in A3.

zitron

Post by zitron »

TOH is on sale now for £3.19, it's actually really fun. But flying is much harder than arma. In arma you can do whatever you want with the controls, the helo will always be controllable, in TOH if you push too hard you will lose control. Hovering and landing is much much harder, you have to manually correct for torque, ground effect and things like side force created by the tail rotor. Also there's wind!

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Plus an update (which I expect most of you have already heard about):

http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-bootcamp-u ... 6l6QbEn_ix
"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

Medic Eugene Roe

Post by Medic Eugene Roe »

I bet that the MP training mode would work nicely for workshops, eh?

Also, someone spotted an "Offroad (Repair)" in one of the pictures, so it'll be helpful whether that's civilian or FIA. And then there's the VR Arsenal loadouts you can save to Zeus, so if say you wanna adjust the kits to have parachutes for a para mission, it can be done.

I thought the bootcamp update would just be like a big combo tutorial of all the ones from A2 of sorts, but this is looking to be much nicer than I could ever had expected.