Advanced Flight Model: Thoughts and experiences?

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
wolfenswan

Advanced Flight Model: Thoughts and experiences?

Post by wolfenswan »

Now that 1.34 is out, the advanced flight model is officially available to all players. What's your experience with it?

With all helper options enabled (and advanced options disabled) the AFM still feels pretty close to what we're used to but with the additional benefit of helicopters not instantly exploding when touching the ground. Rough landings have never been that much fun.

Terminal Boy

Re: Advanced Flight Model: Thoughts and experiences?

Post by Terminal Boy »

Will the Party make this an FA session requirement to add the mayhem allowed by firing from vehicles?

Aqarius
Host

Post by Aqarius »

Jesus, I'd love to see that. Let's make choppers harder fo fly, since, you know, we're doing so well driving everywhere :lol:

*can not actually fly ARMA choppers either way
[/allegedly]

fer

Post by fer »

Terminal Boy wrote:Will the Party make this an FA session requirement to add the mayhem allowed by firing from vehicles?
The focus of Folk ARPS has always been on making it as easy as possible to participate in our sessions. It's why we don't require any addons, insist on training, or enforce minimum levels of attendance etc. The Politburo is still considering what implications, if any, might arise for FA now the latest DLC is available; but I think it's important to be reminded of our starting point. It's something that certainly makes us special within the Armaverse, and possibly unique.

lietuvis10

Post by lietuvis10 »

I think it would be best to add it as an option into parameters before missions. So that we can enable it if we are confident we have a good pilot and want to give him som challenge or disable it if we have a not so 1337MLG ILLUMINATI NOSCOPE pilot.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

lietuvis10 wrote:I think it would be best to add it as an option into parameters before missions. So that we can enable it if we are confident we have a good pilot and want to give him som challenge or disable it if we have a not so 1337MLG ILLUMINATI NOSCOPE pilot.
Not possible with the current implementation. It's either forced on/off by the mission or left up to the player.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I keep playing with turning this on for practice sessions in the editor, and keep turning it off in frustration after a few minutes. I know some people say it's completely playable with mouse and keyboard, but even after tweaking my framerate above 40fps (which is more than enough to fly under the basic flight model), I can't even hover in AFM.

Pedals. I think you're gonna need pedals. But I think you could get away without stick, throttle, or this guy's setup:

(I'm not saying you shouldn't have his setup btw, I'm not that dead inside. Yet).

But every time I try spooling up for a hover, the torque mucks everything up and instead of a nice gentle toeful of antitorque, it's 100% or 0 or -100% and trying to do the tap-tap-taaaap-tap thing is too much brain workload and pretty soon my MH9 is an MH7-and-three-quarters and Arma's trying not to get a fit of the giggles at me, again.

I've promised myself decent pedals in May or June along with a CPU upgrade to try to get above 12-15 fps in the folk server so I could take a pilot slot during a session.

Anyone else managed to get to grips with the AFM yet?
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

harakka

Post by harakka »

Don't feel bad about not being able to hover. With a more realistic flight model stable hover is (in my experience) actually a lot harder than basic flight, takeoffs and landings.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

zitron

Post by zitron »

You don't need pedals for AFM, if you have a joystick with twist. You need to learn to trim and have really soft springs on your joystick. I flew AFM in Folk sessions for a while but stopped since it crashes my game and causes weird desync for some reason.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I don't fly helos in Arma with joystick though, just mouse and keyboard. I don't know why, but whenever I try with my twist joystick, it just never ends well. And I have to use keys for collective anyway, which might be confusing my head :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse