Talking of a revolution- VON quality test for [TUE] 2 MAR

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
wolfenswan

Talking of a revolution- VON quality test for [TUE] 2 MAR

Post by wolfenswan »

The party is testing a higher value for the quality of the von codec for the session on Tuesday, 2nd March 2015.

The upside should be a more clearer and crisper VON audio through all channels.

However, the higher values currently break positional audio.

This means that
  • Only players inside your group will hear GROUP VON
  • Only players inside your vehicle will hear VEHICLE VON
  • You can hear DIRECT VON in a radius of roughly 100m without any diminishing effect.
We are testing these settings to determine whether these caveats are an acceptable trade for the benefits.

wolfenswan

Re: Talking of a revolution- VON quality test for [TUE] 2 MA

Post by wolfenswan »

Please leave your feedback on the higher VON quality settings. Do you prefer positional audio or the clearer quality of the current setting?

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Maybe my ears are shot, but Group VON never sounded that bad to me so I'd rather have the positional audio. Group audio started breaking up briefly during one of the missions. Something I've only heard Side, Vehicle and Direct do. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.
Last edited by Grumpy on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milne

Post by Milne »

Honestly I didn't see a difference at all when I was playing.

boberro

Post by boberro »

Group quality makes no change, other than lack of positional audio.
Direct works, for once, but in such a terrible quality (everyone is in the well 100 meters from me) that it makes no sense.
I guess there might have been a change in quality of vehicle channel (that is, I hope this time it worked), but the only vehicle-driven mission was all about teamspeak, so can't tell.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Quality has been set back to 10.

tired hippo

Post by tired hippo »

Boberro's VON was painfully bad when I was in his fireteam. Lagged out and choppy all the way through the mission, I don't know if it was a VON issue or a Boberro issue. He sounded fine in TS. Other than that I didn't notice much difference.

Link

Post by Link »

tired hippo wrote:Boberro's VON was painfully bad when I was in his fireteam. Lagged out and choppy all the way through the mission, I don't know if it was a VON issue or a Boberro issue. He sounded fine in TS. Other than that I didn't notice much difference.
Agreed, I was also in his fireteam and it was close to uninterpretable. I would note that the quality was (To me at least) noticeably better, but as it doesn't seem to be reliable (The break up from Boberro was by far the worst, but wasn't the only one with issues), I think setting it back to previous is probably the right move.
My mod installer thingy - Check it out!