Arma 3 Marksmen DLC out on April 8...

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Sparks

Arma 3 Marksmen DLC out on April 8...

Post by Sparks »

Arma 3 Marksmen DLC available on April 8th

Woop!

Er...
Alongside the new DLC, Bohemia Interactive will also release a major platform update, which implements a new multiplayer mode, training courses and showcase scenario, plus several much-anticipated platform features related to weapon handling (#bipods) and sound.
So (a) WOOP!; and (b) does this mean that the Folk ARPS session on April 11 will see the new DLC in use? We'll get weapon resting even if we don't use any of the other things in the DLC...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

wolfenswan

Re: Arma 3 Marksmen DLC out on April 8...

Post by wolfenswan »

Also in: AI Suppression system.

Might be amusing if we end up mowing down AI for a while.
We'll get weapon resting even if we don't use any of the other things in the DLC...
Engine changes (resting, #bipods, suppression) will be in automatically, whether the new gunz are used depends on the mission.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:whether the new gunz are used depends on the mission.
Some of the new ones they've added are pretty neat, but if you don't have the DLC and the mission assigns you (say) the Kir as a scout for something like the infiltration side in Cordon Blu, what happens then? Do you wind up having an unsuppressed rifle or can the mission script have a fallback?

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Some of the new ones they've added are pretty neat, but if you don't have the DLC and the mission assigns you (say) the Kir as a scout for something like the infiltration side in Cordon Blu, what happens then? Do you wind up having an unsuppressed rifle or can the mission script have a fallback?
Same thing that happens when you script a non-DLC-owning player into a DLC-helicopter crew slot. They'll be able to utilize it fine but will get occasional notifications and over the time a screen overlay (which should be hardly an issue for our usual mission length).

What I'm unsure of is if players can pick up DLC weapons from the ground/corpses if they don't have the DLC.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:
Same thing that happens when you script a non-DLC-owning player into a DLC-helicopter crew slot. They'll be able to utilize it fine but will get occasional notifications and over the time a screen overlay (which should be hardly an issue for our usual mission length).
Didn't know that. Class act, BI...

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

But What About End Game?
Two sides fight against a common enemy to secure enough Intel - gathered by completing a number of small objectives - to identify a final 'End Game' objective. The game mode is comprised of 3 distinct phases: establishing an FOB, downloading intelligence and, finally, securing valuable schematics.
What really caught my eye is this stuff, as it seemed to be official ways of doing stuff existing in the FA framework:
Alongside the new game mode, we'd like to introduce a series of experimental gameplay systems to the community; namely: 'Dynamic Groups', 'Revive' and 'Shared Objectives'. With these scripted systems, we've tried to find ways to encourage and reward cooperation among players.
Read more here:
http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-end-game
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

From what I gather the systems are similar but more catered to public, more forgiving gameplay. Revive is a respawn mechanic which allows you to "wait dead" at one place until a player comes along to pick you up. It's not a medical system in the sense of SWS or ARMA2 had it. The dynamic groups might or might not be of limited use depending on how they'll be implemented.

End game might be fun for impromptu sessions though.

SuicideKing
Host

Post by SuicideKing »

wolfenswan wrote:From what I gather the systems are similar but more catered to public, more forgiving gameplay. Revive is a respawn mechanic which allows you to "wait dead" at one place until a player comes along to pick you up. It's not a medical system in the sense of SWS or ARMA2 had it.
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation!
The dynamic groups might or might not be of limited use depending on how they'll be implemented.
Yeah I mean for missions like that one in which everyone parachutes around this huge CSAT controlled circle, and must find an ATV and extract - dynamic groups could be useful there.

And shared objectives could be better than using channel-specific markers on the map.
End game might be fun for impromptu sessions though.
Skype... :cry:

Though I must say, performance seems much better with 1.42. They also seem to have balanced the showcases, so the Infantry showcase isn't me walking into a deathtrap anymore. AI seems less likely to score instakills as well. Should be good for our coop sessions.
themiddlevoid.wordpress.com

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Huzzah, downloading the DLC now :)