ACE3 coming soon, will we be using this?

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Reppyboyo

ACE3 coming soon, will we be using this?

Post by Reppyboyo »

Just been pointed to ACE 3, which is apparently coming very soon.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.p ... ost2910796

Just wondering if Folk ARPS will be using this at any point?
I rather loved ACE2 back when I used it.

Sparks

Re: ACE3 coming soon, will we be using this?

Post by Sparks »

Lots of that looked nice, including the medical system and "cutting down fences" which might see me running about altis with a boltcutter ignoring OPFOR in order to target the real enemy - low level, hard to see until you've autorotated into them, wire fences.

But:
  • This bit: "a rough estimate can be made for our release sometime this month" has the software engineer in me guessing we're three to four months out from the first buggy release.
  • I would have thought lots of the ballistics stuff would be in the Marksmen DLC anyway.
  • If we were to abandon the friction-free FolkARPS session principle, it'd make life harder for us more casual Comrades, and if we were doing that, you'd really want to include more terrains and weapons - I mean, if it's just the case of going to the default launcher's Mods tab, hitting the steam link and selecting @ACE3, why not @A3MP and @HLC_Core, @HLC_G3, @HLC_AR15 and the @HLC_AK_Pack and then why not... well, you see what I mean.
  • Also, the medical system looks nice, but none of us ever survive long enough to use it. Issuing FTLs with sidearms for wounded FT members to prevent enemy interrogation would be a much easier fix... :commissar:
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Simple answer, 99% that no, we won't use it, our whole emphasis is on being as ''friction free'' as possible.

Besides, there are a ton of different groups out there who use modpacks with various bells and whistles, and by running mods we would lose our... uniqueness.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Let's see what the future brings and how modular it truly is. There's plenty of stuff in ACE2 I can happily do without.

That said, once 1Tac adapts it I'll certainly give it a try.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:That said, once 1Tac adapts it I'll certainly give it a try.
Are 1Tac our beta testing group? :D
Honestly, I feel like I'll get a visit from the commissar just for reading their AARs :commissar:

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Actually, serious mod question, we use STHUD and STstaminabar on the clientside (or at least, it's permitted); is there a reason why we don't use the rest of the STUI mods like STGI? Is it just because of worries over compatibility or is there a serverside component to those? Or do they just not jive with our groove?

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Sparks wrote:Actually, serious mod question, we use STHUD and STstaminabar on the clientside (or at least, it's permitted); is there a reason why we don't use the rest of the STUI mods like STGI? Is it just because of worries over compatibility or is there a serverside component to those? Or do they just not jive with our groove?
At least ST_GI is in (it's part of ST_Hud and included in the FA repo too), are there any others?
Sparks wrote:
wolfenswan wrote:That said, once 1Tac adapts it I'll certainly give it a try.
Are 1Tac our beta testing group? :D
Honestly, I feel like I'll get a visit from the commissar just for reading their AARs :commissar:
No but they're the friendly neighborhood modgroup. We don't judge them and they don't judge us :P

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:At least ST_GI is in (it's part of ST_Hud and included in the FA repo too), are there any others?
There are a few, but ST_GI was the one I was thinking of - if it's in, why don't I see the nice hexagons on my teammates in our sessions? Are they disabled serverside the way the objective waypoint is in some missions?

(Oh, and to anyone disabling that waypoint marker in missions that involve flying, from hell's heart I spit at thee)
wolfenswan wrote:No but they're the friendly neighborhood modgroup. We don't judge them and they don't judge us :P
I did go through their installation routine right up to the point where I realised I'd have to go learn ACRE and do more keybinding and I just lost my bottle at that point.
If it won't result in a visit from the commissar I might try again at some point, satiate the tabloid urge to see new lands before I've figured out how not to grenade my own injured Comrades..

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Sparks wrote:
wolfenswan wrote:At least ST_GI is in (it's part of ST_Hud and included in the FA repo too), are there any others?
There are a few, but ST_GI was the one I was thinking of - if it's in, why don't I see the nice hexagons on my teammates in our sessions? Are they disabled serverside the way the objective waypoint is in some missions?

(Oh, and to anyone disabling that waypoint marker in missions that involve flying, from hell's heart I spit at thee)
Regarding ST_GI, I just tested and can see them fine. Are you sure you they weren't there at all? They disappear at roughly 55m.

Edit: Just tested shift-click markers alone on the server on Veteran difficulty and they work fine when in a vehicle?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

wolfenswan wrote:
sparks wrote:(Oh, and to anyone disabling that waypoint marker in missions that involve flying, from hell's heart I spit at thee)
The shift-click waypoint has to my knowledge always been disabled?
Nope:
https://youtu.be/xQ4BPDmWK9s?t=12m3s

But it is disabled in some missions and not in others. I couldn't use it in Bees when I was flying last time for example (FROM HELL'S HEART!)
And regarding ST_GI, I just tested and can see them fine. Are you sure you they weren't there at all? They disappear at roughly 55m.

Nope, I don't see nothin' boss:
https://youtu.be/Rz6n9vf5qCQ?t=7m47s

Which probably means I've screwed up some setting somewhere I guess if you can see them :( :sadtrombone: