The server is dead, long live the server.

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Bodge

The server is dead, long live the server.

Post by Bodge »

Okay so it isn't dead yet.

But as part of the Bodge retirement program it will be in about 6 months. Thanks to people for their suggestions about server providers, our current plan is below.

- We renew the current server by 6 months. This gives us plenty of time to get stuff in order for a switch and allows us to manage real life responsibilities also.

- We will then start up a new server with the rest of the server funds in about 5 months time, the month of overlap allows setup of game and teamspeak servers so that sessions can continue with minimal disruption. We will be going with Hetzner, mainly because it sounds like Hetzer and this makes me happy. The server might look something like this https://www.hetzner.de/gb/hosting/produ ... er/ex41ssd but i like to imagine more like this:

I have been doing this for around 5 years now and the fact that what we do provides people with entertainment and good times even after this long makes me rather proud. The fact that people are willing to donate money of any amount towards it is an added bonus albeit an essential one. As many of you probably noticed, I don't really play any more since stepping down as an active host, and that provides a bit of a disconnect that will be removed when the server owner is someone more active. Chances are Kefirz and Blip are going to be setting the move in motion so be wary of their shadowy movements.

EDIT: We are currently at 936 pounds in the paypal account, thx!

blip2
Host

Re: The server is dead, long live the server.

Post by blip2 »

New server won't have a desktop, just console ;)

Bodge

Re: The server is dead, long live the server.

Post by Bodge »

So an update on server things.

1. The current OVH server will expire on the 11th of September this year.

2. We stand with 383.42 left in the paypal account. Netkev will be taking over finance admin.

3. A combination of Netkev and Blip (chief server tinkerer) along with the rest of the host team will set up the new server prior to the 11th of September so that there will be minimal disruption to sessions.

4. Bodge rides off into the sunset after the 11th

From now on it is the hosts' intent to keep the funding drive running throughout the year rather than a last minute rush over a month or two. More details on this will likely be posted in the not too distant future.

Feel free to put questions to me or the host team in here or Discord chat