Arma 3: The plan

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Wilson

Re: Arma 3: The plan

Post by Wilson »

I'd imagine come 5th of March there will be many ad-hoc sessions of ArmA3 happening. As long as you are on Skype chat you'll know about it.

This is really exciting though. As much as the supporters edition is tempting, I'm not sure I'd pay any extra. The future DLC is great but it also states any standalone expansions (I'm sure there will be at least 1) aren't included in that.

The fact the Alpha is modifiable is brilliant, some great stuff may make it into the final game this way.

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

To be honest, I'm mostly interested in performance... I'd like to hear some reports before charging ahead and buying it. Chances are I won't get another rig for a long time yet, and if A3 is much worse than A2 then nevermind that :( I've heard quite a few people complaining of FPS problems in FA missions, so it isn't an isolated problem.

Mamuto

Post by Mamuto »

From what I've read, they're really focusing on improving performance and the few prominent community members that have early access are saying great things about stability and performance. The e3 demos from last year also were looking great.

That said, it IS an alpha, and bugs/performance issues are to be expected.

THAT said, I absolutely will be picking up the game immediately, and can give you an invite to the "lite" version (which sadly has no multiplayer). That way, you can see for yourself how the engine performs on your computer. Let me know if you're interested, Anvilfolk.

I am absolutely interested in adhoc missions! Who's with me for playing on Tuesday?

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

Mamuto, that is very generous of you. I'll think it over, but even though I'll wait to see how people get on in general, I'll most likely end up buying it, whatever the case. If only to try to justify a gaming rig eventually... ;)

fer

Post by fer »

As promised, the Party line on ArmA 3 is now available.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

fer wrote:The FA ORBAT and comms approach for ArmA 3 must be agreed and published in our forums
By hosts or by a discussion of players here?

fer

Post by fer »

Ultimately it's a hosts' decision, but ideas will certainly be kicked around in the open. At this stage I'm not anticipating a massive change to our ORBAT, but let's see what weapon systems, vehicles etc. the new game provides.

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Curiosity is forcing me to make prying comments regarding each subject of the switchover.

An ArmA 3 version of F2 (F3), configured for the FA ORBAT etc. must be available for mission makers

How long do you estimate this to take? As I understand, F2 is a port of F1, how long was the switch between 1 and 2?

Half a dozen FA-standard missions must be ready (which is not a lot if 3-4 comrade mission engineers go to work)

A question more about ArmA 3's assets, ArmA 3 will feature Unmanned Ground Vehicles and a rather deep underwater section. Any restrictions to impound on these, can you predict?

ArmA 3 must be available worldwide

I cannot find a single distinction between release dates, it's rather likely that the launch will be global.

ArmA 3 must be out of Beta (although a very stable beta may allow us to switch before the full release)

Arma3.com says the Alpha Lite will conclude on the 18th of June. This seems like a likely point for the Beta to begin. No idea when the actual launch date will be.

A significant number of comrades have ArmA 3

How many is signifigant?

Another thing I'm curious about, how will the ArmA 3 server be handled? Will any old servers be retired?

Also, excitement.

fer

Post by fer »

Dannysaysnoo wrote:How long do you estimate this to take? As I understand, F2 is a port of F1, how long was the switch between 1 and 2?
A lot depends on how much of the current F2 works with ArmA 3 out of the box. If we are very lucky, it could be a case of re-creating game-specific components like platoons, loadouts etc. With testing, that scenario could see a development cycle measured in weeks. Conversely, if a re-write is required we may need several months to fully re-create all the components - but in such a scenario we would likely break development up into stages, so we had a basic build as soon as possible. It's hard to say until we have the Alpha.
Dannysaysnoo wrote:A question more about ArmA 3's assets, ArmA 3 will feature Unmanned Ground Vehicles and a rather deep underwater section. Any restrictions to impound on these, can you predict?
Hopefully, comrade mission makers have a good feel for what constitutes a suitable mission for FA sessions - much of that should carry over (e.g. we're unlikely to start handing out ACOG-equivalents). However, I wouldn't want to speculate about any new guidelines that might emerge from our use of ArmA 3. Let's see what it offers?
Dannysaysnoo wrote:I cannot find a single distinction between release dates, it's rather likely that the launch will be global.
That's good. The principle is simply that the game must be available to all comrades.
Dannysaysnoo wrote:Arma3.com says the Alpha Lite will conclude on the 18th of June. This seems like a likely point for the Beta to begin. No idea when the actual launch date will be.
It's highly unlikely that the switch-over will happen during the alpha period. The switch-over might happen during the beta period, but a lot will depend on the stability of the product, update cadence etc. Again, the key here is not to select an arbitrary date, but shoot for the point where the new game is ready to support our sessions.
Dannysaysnoo wrote:How many is signifigant?
Today our sessions draw between 40 and 65 comrades; if the switch-over happens when only 20-35 could join us, we would be moving too soon.
Dannysaysnoo wrote:Another thing I'm curious about, how will the ArmA 3 server be handled? Will any old servers be retired?
That's unknown at this stage, and we're a long way out from having to make that decision.
Dannysaysnoo wrote:Also, excitement.
And how! But do please keep this in mind: it's the comrades and the missions that make our sessions what they are, not the game. Everything about our plans for the switch-over is intended to ensure we keep the fabulous people, atmosphere and quality of today's FA experience.

Dannysaysnoo

Post by Dannysaysnoo »

Thanks very much, Fer! I feel the need to point out as many holes in the switchover plan, possibly because this is my first switchover and such. I already have a thunderous idea for an adversarial, and one for a co-op. Once F3 is ready, I'll be sure to get it on paper.