Introduce yourself

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Anvilfolk

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Anvilfolk »

Hello!

I'm here because I finally have a machine capable of running ArmA 2 above 10fps. In the two-week run-up to getting it I've probably watched 10-20h of ShackTac videos... being in Portugal at the moment with an occupation that makes me disappear from time to time, I'm looking for something in the GMT timezone that's a bit more relaxed (i.e. come if you can, if you can't that's ok). Folk ARPS seems to fit the bill!

I love teamwork and teamplay, but because of my occupation it's been impossible to commit to weekly events usually required by squads. I've been in a relaxed (but competitive and full-real) IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 torpedo bomber squadron, which was great fun. I love aviation, organisation and combined operations, and I find myself spending quite some time just flying around Utes blowing stuff up from the air in whatever the ArmA 2 Armory has to offer.

And I have to say that using the Play withSIX software it's really easy to use and install mods. I'm personally becoming quite fond of ACE and ACRE as I start toying around with them a bit.

I'm very much looking forward to this Sunday. I'll hopefully be able to join that session! :)

Tsumei

Post by Tsumei »

Guess I'll do one of these since I really enjoyed tuesdays session and want to join in more often.

Hello! I'm Tsumei, a nickname I aquired from years and years of playing EVE online, a game I have recently stopped playing because alliance leadership in that game is like an unpaid management position you feel guilted into doing because of friends as the years pass. But I still think of it as one of my best online multiplayer experiences. I learnt basically everything I know about leadership and dealing with people there, so that's a valuable lesson or two.

I came into Arma 2 through DayZ, though sorta not. I guess I bought it to try out DayZ, but ended up actually running missions with one friend over and over more than I actually played DayZ, and then eventually I got hooked on dayZ for about a week before that faded again, and Arma has kind of just been that game I boot up when I need something to do, hopping into a scenario to play with the weapons or vehicles.. So it seemed like a great idea to look for a group to play with, and when RPS ran an article about you folks I was intrigued :)
I think the fact that it's such an open format really is what made me come join, If I had to go through some silly military-esque application process which I saw a few other places I would simply not bother. :|

In real life I'm a Norwegian lady in my twenties, there is a lot of snow outside and it's very cold. Also my girlfriend is like 600km away from me for the next five months. So I need games to survive :P
Looking forward to getting to know you all a little better, and hopefully I won't get any of you killed too much.

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

Tsumei wrote:I'm a Norwegian lady
Does this mean that we can have a HIghlander-style mission between Car00ke and Tsumei?
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

Welcome all new ones!

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I'd just like to point out that with Tsunmei as a new face and me as a honorary member Norge squad has surpassed Swede squad in numbers.

Tsumei

Post by Tsumei »

wolfenswan wrote:I'd just like to point out that with Tsunmei as a new face and me as a honorary member Norge squad has surpassed Swede squad in numbers.
First time Norway is numerically superior! Muhahaha, we shall be good overlords. :commissar:

IceRaiser

Post by IceRaiser »

You're an honorary mountain-Swede? lol, we've got Joseph and Strang as honorary Swedes!
Check your numbers again!

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

Why are we here?
I suppose I should take a moment to introduce myself, since so many others already have.

Why am I handcuffed?
I'm sure you have many questions, they will be answered in due time.

Where have you taken me? Was that chloroform?
You're here in the secret dungeon under my house in Dallas, Texas. Yes, that was chloroform.

You're a lunatic! A monster!
Au contraire, I'm just a 22-year old American dude with Asian ancestry who works at a local non-profit (marketing, fundraising, program work, website work, I do it all as required), wears cool hats, and bosses people around in TeamSpeak!

Why would you kidnap people?
How did I get started? Well, I was introduced to ArmA by a pal in college who called it the best thing since sliced bagels, but the learning curve frightened me badly. Then, I hopped aboard the DayZ bandwagon, murderized a bunch of zeds, ate a few cans of beans, and learned to stealth past anyone and anything to the point that DayZ became goddamned boring. So I graduated to regular arma, playing on a public server until the griefing and hacking finally drove me to find a more... controlled environment. I stumbled across Folk ARPS, Fer was kind enough to press a Makarov to the back of my head, and the rest is history!

No, I mean, kidnapping. Me. Why?
Yes, I take video of every Sunday session - Tuesdays are much more difficult for me to attend and document due to my peculiar state-side schedule meaning that I'm at work when y'all are shooting each other with environmentally friendly bullets. Look closely as your eyes adjust and you'll see some of them playing on our YouTube Channel!

Okay, I see the videos and-- Oh god, are those skeletons in the corner?
Oh. Those are the unfortunate dead who have fallen victim to Fire & Maneuver, as taught in the workshops that Tigershark and I run with an iron fist and rock-hard boner (you decide who has what). Our workshops are entirely voluntary, and take place an hour before every Sunday session. We make you guys scream "Red team, move!" and "Blue team, cover!" over and over again until your voice grows hoarse. This way, you'll have some additional tools to use when sending other comrades to their deaths! Who knows, some of them might even survive!

I've heard enough. You're insane. Police! Guards! HAAAAAALP!!!
Scream all you want, but you're a woefully out of place Englishman. This is Texas. If you open your mouth, you're going to be simultaneously lynched, shot, run over with a truck, and drawn-and-quartered before you can say "help help, I'm being repressed by Republicans!"

:clint: ~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Oh god, the Party has an antenna in Texas.

May I add that Joe is actually a honorary member of the French Connection. Cheese Squad gots y'all way owerwhelmed.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

wolfenswan wrote:I'd just like to point out that with Tsunmei as a new face and me as a honorary member Norge squad has surpassed Swede squad in numbers.
I thought that FA had only 2 or maybe max 2.5 Norwegians.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Kefirz wrote:
I thought that FA had only 2 or maybe max 2.5 Norwegians.
Still more Norwqegians than there are Latvians :laugh: