Introduce yourself

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
miradosamurai

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by miradosamurai »

Hello, I am miradosamurai

I am a complete noob when it comes to arma 3 (4 hours play time which done 1-2 years ago), I have been looking into playing a bit and came across this unit via reddit. I would like it if everyone called me cody, I will tell everyone when I join TS as well though.

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Welcome Cody, the best way to ensure that you are called that, is by putting it your TS3 and A3 name. :D
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

Gruntface

Post by Gruntface »

Hello everyone, new "recruit" here.

I just got accepted on the forums and I hope I can play with you guys soon, been playing Arma for a little while now and I have been getting into flying helicopters lately. Ofcourse the good old infantry work is always fun.

I applied for a school to educate to-be NCO's and will be beginning with that this september, I got a whole lot of free time on my hands until that, and I hope to spend that here too.

Leander

Post by Leander »

Welcome Gruntface! Although I just recently was welcomed here myself... But I like to think that I can say it anyway.

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

Hello everyone,

I bought Arma 3 in the last Steam Sale and have played a fair amount of single player and a bit of multi-player. I've seen some of your youtube videos and such and you seem to be playing Arma about as seriously as I want to so I thought I'd join. I hope to play with you guys soon.

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Hi Peasant,

Welcome to FolkARPS. Im sure you know already, but we'll be having a session later on today at 7.20 GMT if you want to join in.

Hope to see you there.

Schismatrix

Post by Schismatrix »

Hey everyone.

I'm the new guy that tagged along for yesterday's shenanigans. It's cool to read these introductions, and see where people are coming from. Makes me feel as snug as a bug.

I have been playing Arma for 3-4 years, and most of that time has been used on hiding in a forest in the Dayz mod. When I'm not hiding in forests, I fool around with a couple of friends in community-based missions and attach goats to F-35B's in the editor.

I got in to milsim gaming with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, but when Arma 2 came on sale I took the jump. I've never looked back.

Recently, the number of my online friends have been dwindling because of silly reasons such as "jobs", "marriage" and "children", so I thought it was time to find a community that shares my interest for shooting people in the face. Enter Folk ARPS, and the alluring charm of organized digital soldiering.

IRL I'm a 28 year old dane called Mikkel, and i spend most of my time on soul-draining office work (dolla dolla bill y'all), debating with my girlfriend what will happen in the next season of Game of Thrones, composing/playing music and climbing walls.

See you on the battlefield :)

Schismatrix

Mabbott
Host

Post by Mabbott »

Glad to see you had fun Mikkel. Looking forward to ordering you to your death again in the future.
"Full sails!" - Kefirz
"Don't engage, wait for them to pass the [*rocket launched with wooooosh sound*] bridge... [*boom - rocket hitting the tank*]" -Me, leading an ambush.
For the empire :hist101:

skeptical_platypus

Post by skeptical_platypus »

Hello,

My moniker is skeptical_platypus. Please feel free to call me splaty; the underscore is hard to pronounce.

I will likely be the cause of many Picard Facepalms -- even the dreaded Bernanke Facepalm, should this forum obtain that option.

I'm on the west coast of the States (near Seattle, WA). This largely means I'll be joining FOLK on Sundays and if you ask me to get your torch from the boot, we'll all be disappointed. I've also lived in Leicester and near Nice, France. I shall strongly consider bangers for my pre-Folk sunday brunch.

IRL, I always mind the gap.

I have some experience with Arma3 (solo), and have some experience in co/op, but that was OP:Flashpoint. It was spectacular fun, so much so it's hard to play Arma without other peeps. So I am really looking forward to joining Folk ARPS.

I think I'm up on etiquette, but I'm not clear on the difference between using teamspeak vs VON (isn't teamspeak voice over network?), and it seems almost certain at some point I'll accidentally and inappropriately whisper to a CO about my feels.

On the positive side, I take direction very well, am particularly sparkly in night vision, and have been told on more than one occasion I make a superior corpse. I have some experience leading 10-40 man raids (daoc, lotro).

I've got mad respect for any of you FOLK ftling and above, and know enough to keep my mouth shut and rifle downrange while you are herding us cats.

Thanks for having me, Folk -- I look forward to gaming with you!

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

Hello Platypus,

Welcome to Folk ARPS (We always say it with the ARPS). As you say there is nothing better than playing big co-ops with others. If your'e looking for a taste of what were about, we had a great night last night, and there will probably be some nice pics and videos popping up in the After Action Report thread. Sparks usually has a recording of the whole session up at some point. Hope to see you sunday!

Our comms routine is incredibly simple once you get the hang of it. Basically we have 3 channels.
  • The in-game arma voice "group" channel is used to talk to you immediate team (usually 5 others). This is usually what we mean by VON, and almost exclusively refers to "group" VON when talking. In the options you can set a push-to-talk button for group only (I use CapsLock)
  • The FTLs and Squad leader will communicate in their own teamspeak channel (so HQ/Alpha/Bravo/Charlie have a seperate channel). Team members can use TS for emergency contact reports, but generally this channel is kept quiet for leaders to communicate (I have this bound to a mouse button).
  • Finally we use Channel Commander in teamspeak so that different squads can communicate with HQ and each other. There is a forum post on how to set this up, but unless you are at least an FTL its probably not too big a worry. Set it up when you feel comfortable enough to step up in the ranks ( I have this bound to "h").
  • One other thing: Generally we use group VON in game, but sometimes it is nice to use direct or vehicle channels (you can switch channels with < and >) I have this ptt bound to right-shift, as its not a commonly used button.