Freetrack! How good/bad is it?

Party-approved discussion of ArmA 3
Macaco

Re: Freetrack! How good/bad is it?

Post by Macaco »

Dannysaysnoo wrote:Wow. I made a conversation happen! All replies are much appreciated, but I hate tinkering with drivers and sub-drivers and such. In a few week's time, when I get my new headset and sound card, TIR will be on the tables. :D
Drivers only need to be tinkered with if you are using a playstation camera. All the rest just work.

m0ntag

Post by m0ntag »

I've been tempted to get TrackIR for a long time but the main thing holding me back is that it's more than $100 :shock: Which is dosh that I do not have laying around. It'd be hella useful for me due to the fact that I'm an avid gamer (especially ARMA) and like to be a pilot and such. The one thing that sucks about using a gamepad to fly in ARMA is that your freelook is a bit tough, unless you use the numpad keys to look around. So, if you're willing to put in the investment, I say go for it. I've heard good things.
I don't like the term 'Medic'. I prefer 'Fun Enabler' or 'Maximum Fun Ensurance Counselor'. What's more fun than being shot once? Being shot twice.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/m0ntag
whitesymphonia wrote:I know that I can count on m0ntag to save my ass when wounded...

head

Post by head »

I just ordered a third party clip for freetrack for about 24 GBP from ebay(uk based)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DelanClip-for-F ... 35c3d3ad1e

Will report back when i get it.

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

head wrote:I just ordered a third party clip for freetrack for about 24 GBP from ebay(uk based)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DelanClip-for-F ... 35c3d3ad1e

Will report back when i get it.
That was 24£?! Wow. You can get an actual TrackClip from the TrackIR folks for cheaper than that.

harakka

Post by harakka »

Macaco wrote: That was 24£?! Wow. You can get an actual TrackClip from the TrackIR folks for cheaper than that.
Could you provide a link? I'm interested, particularly if the EU shipping fees are low.
Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me.

head

Post by head »

harakka wrote:
Macaco wrote: That was 24£?! Wow. You can get an actual TrackClip from the TrackIR folks for cheaper than that.
Could you provide a link? I'm interested, particularly if the EU shipping fees are low.

Yea since 70 USD for a trackclip from NP

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

I'm interested too. For quite a few years I had problems finding that kind of stuff for cheap here in Europe. In the US everything is so much cheaper it's not even funny. Well, it is if you're there :P

Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Anvilfolk wrote:I'm interested too. For quite a few years I had problems finding that kind of stuff for cheap here in Europe. In the US everything is so much cheaper it's not even funny. Well, it is if you're there :P
harakka wrote:
I didn't consider shipping costs so his is cheaper. Mine was even cheaper at a whopping 5€ for LEDs, resistors, and wire, but it's understandable that not everyone wants to go through that hassle (and it is a hassle).

Anvilfolk

Post by Anvilfolk »

It also assumes you are handy and crafty... whenever I do any of that I just hurt myself ;)

Europe seriously needs to get its own manufacturers for these kinds products. Having to pay all the import taxes and customs and shipping fees makes it much harder. Especially for the kinds of salaries some of us get.

Still, Macaco, have you used TrackIR before? How does FreeTrack compare?

head

Post by head »

The big problem was the fucking structure of the set, i can solder perfectly fine and theory is no problemo.

Just makeing the thing to put the things on ;D