Climaxing Crusader

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Lord Penney

Climaxing Crusader

Post by Lord Penney »

Yesterday 'Climaxing Crusader' had it's maiden voyage and I'd be very interested in hearing any feedback that you may have.

Here's some points I'm currently mulling over:
  • Scopes: I felt that scopes for everyone was a tiny bit much . I was thinking of reducing them to just AAR and leadership roles.
  • Threat: This mission could have done with a touch more spice on the southern part of the engagement. Perhaps throwing an attack Orca would be more interesting? Or would that be too much? Maybe just more infantry patrols?
  • Triggers: This was probably the biggest issue with the mission. I realise that expecting the party to clear the whole airfield of EI might have been a little hopeful. How about ending the mission once the area around the control tower has been cleared and has been held by BLUFOR for a set time?
  • Music: Was the music OK? Were the choice of tracks immersive? Was it too distracting? I've already got some alterations in mind to tighten up when the music actually kicks in, but only very minor stuff.
Don't feel restricted to these points comrades, as this is merely a guideline. Anything that you can think of to improve the mission would be deeply appreciated.

wolfenswan

Re: Climaxing Crusader

Post by wolfenswan »

I was thinking of reducing them to just AAR and leadership roles.
RATs will use their launchers to scope which is a personal pet peeve of mine.

boberro

Post by boberro »

Threat
Looks ok to me, this mission is possible to finish with little casualties if very lucky AND cautious, but kills most assets if not (see fate of our IFV and enemy on the backs of those in airbase). IMHO you should leave it as it is.

Music
My whole fireteam (not me, I had that before) rushed to the options to mute the music.

wolfenswan wrote:RATs will use their launchers to scope which is a personal pet peeve of mine.
It is kind of cheating, but remove everything "2035" and next thing we can do is installing CFD mod. Maybe we should find a way of playing Arma 3 that is not played like Arma 2? Not that I have an answer to how I want to do it FA way.
Delete this marker please. You're scaring the tank.
My screenshots are being added using Steam Screenshots Sharing Script™. You'll need Tampermonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) On Opera should be good to go..

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

My problem isn't that in the future all launchers have scopes and NVGs (though the latter can be problematic in a no-nvg mission obviously), it's people's obsessions with looking through ;) Compared to the RCO or even the MRCO it has an extremely narrow FoV and reduces situational awareness massively.

Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I wasn't there for this session, but in general I like music in missions, myself! Just for the record. :)

Lord Penney

Post by Lord Penney »

Dogface wrote:... I like music in missions...Just for the record. :)
I see what you did there...

I'm currently looking into having static defences in the airbase so that EI can more effectively engage units on the hill. How does that sound?

thekev506

Post by thekev506 »

Scopes - I didn't really have a problem with them, though I'm not quite sure there was enough long-range fighting to warrant them. Because the AT assets of the fireteams seem to have a pretty limited range the CO's hand is forced to close the distance down once the Ifrit has been destroyed, and the scopes aren't really of any use once you're within the airbase.

Threat - I'm not sure I saw any CSAT regulars in the mission, only the specops guys. A few more extra squads of regulars and maybe another Ifrit in the airbase would help increase the level of engagement. Alternatively, bringing in a second helo of specops guys for that trigger would work well too (and look even cooler)
Also, the house at 025055 really could do with being more heavily defended. If you flip the scenario around and imagine you're defending the airbase that house holds the highest point in the vicinity and has very good eyes on the airbase. It's very strategically important, maybe even a little more so than the 'real' outpost to its north as it can also provide some defilade to an attacker.

Triggers - Having 'kill everyone in the airbase' might not be the best criteria for mission success considering there are so many buildings for CSAT to hide in. I think you're right in saying that having NATO holding the ATC tower would work better, but I'd also consider adding the destruction of the Tigris tanks - they're too dangerous to imagine them being left for the after-mission mop-up operation.

Music - Had my own music on so can't comment, sorry!

AOB - These may already have been present in the mission and I've just been in a world of my own, but considering the ranges involved and possible vantage points an MMG team would be a very tactically useful toy.
Considering the amount of armour-busting at hand, and the way RPG guys only carry the one rocket with them in A3, setting up an ammo crate full of rockets at the outpost (024057) might be worth trying out - we had a lot of RPG fire missing after all.
DEINE WUNDERSCHÖNEN AUGEN HEAD
-Wolfenswan

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Have you had a look at the support module for supplies/CAS penney?

Thirith

Post by Thirith »

Lord Penney wrote:
  • Music: Was the music OK? Were the choice of tracks immersive? Was it too distracting? I've already got some alterations in mind to tighten up when the music actually kicks in, but only very minor stuff.
It was the Nintendo Shop tune, right?

In general, I wonder how many people have music muted to begin with. This makes me wonder whether I should unmute it, mainly because I'm curious how the mission creators here use music. Would be a shame to miss out on the good stuff...

"Until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS." - Grim Fandango

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

I can't speak for every mission-maker here, but after Wolf's wonderful A2 mission "Ashore," I started including music in nearly every mission I made. Thus, I would suggest that people turn music on. If it starts drowning things out, then that's what the volume sliders are for in the audio options.

Wii shopping channel? Seriously?

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."