Afternoon Delight

Help make Party-approved missions harder
wolfenswan

Afternoon Delight

Post by wolfenswan »

We played the overhauled version of this for the first time on Sun 22/6/14.

I wanted to try a more mobile approach for a mission which explains the number of APCs and the reinforcements at a later stage. I limited the APCs to HMGs to re-create the "gun-truck" feel from ArmA2 and think that was achieved. I'll probably unlock the Commander seats however. I might reduce the AO further in size but am positively surprised how well everything turned out. Action vs. downtime seemed fairly well spread out.

Server performance is another thing and you might have noticed the FPS drops towards the end. Considering that this mission was scratching the 400 AI this and was meant to be a benchmark of sorts this isn't a bad sign, especially considering the performance just a few months ago. Future versions will have reduced numbers of AI as well as procedural spawning to test things a bit further.

Now, your thoughts on the whole missions?

audiox
Host

Re: Afternoon Delight

Post by audiox »

ASL here. Quite the epic. I noticed nothing out of order throughout, and for Alpha, all challenges were surmountable. We did not participate in clearing the city, so i can't comment on that.

Having so many APCs works well, as you get a really effective support element for your teams. 12 guys dedicated to 4 apcs seems like a lot, though. Open the commander slot so that gunner can have some extra crawlspace?

AO seems nice as it is. It was closer to feeling cramped than open for me, at least. After the first AA-takedown i felt no desire to remount in the vehicles, since the threat of a lone RPG-dude is just too great, and the distance to the next AA not particularly long. (Also, both our APCs were killed by the AA-guns, one at 800m+ ?)

UAVs at squad level to scout safe routes for the APCs? (That might just be down to communication CO/SL and our general inexperience with the things though...)

White markers for Juliet makes me want to kill myself.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

Having so many APCs works well, as you get a really effective support element for your teams. 12 guys dedicated to 4 apcs seems like a lot, though. Open the commander slot so that gunner can have some extra crawlspace?
The idea was to unlock the seat but not make it an extra slot. Gunner or SL could take it if necessary.

Ferrard Carson

Post by Ferrard Carson »

wolfenswan wrote:
The idea was to unlock the seat but not make it an extra slot. Gunner or SL could take it if necessary.
I really, really encourage unlocking the commander's slot so that the crew can turn out. So much of what I do with vehicles involves me being turned out, with GPS out and scanning the surrounding terrain with free-look.

I was able to improvise during this past runthrough. Every time we approached a new firing position, I stopped the APC before cresting, then got out and took a look at the terrain on foot. Then I'd take the APC to where I'd identified a good firing position.

Being able to turn out would make that positioning process a hell of a lot easier, especially in a wheeled vehicle that can't just spin in place. Plus, map-markers are pretty useless if you can't bring up the GPS, and you can only bring up GPS when not in letterbox mode.

The mission itself was great though. Maybe a little on the long / large side, but more or less okay with Wave Reinforcements.

~ Ferrard
"Take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turnin' of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels... makes her home."