fa3_c25_JollyBlueXL

Help make Party-approved missions harder
wolfenswan

fa3_c25_JollyBlueXL

Post by wolfenswan »

We've had a few runs with this and it's shaping up nicely. It's mostly down to what the curators make of it. There's no dedicated briefing for the curators yet and I might fill that with some details and hints. Also I might add parameters to restrict the possible crash-site to specific areas (as currently they can vastly differ in distance to the extraction team) and maybe a few-km sized circle for the pilot to give a rough indication of the search area.

fer

Re: fa3_c30_JollyBlueXL

Post by fer »

I think some kind of convention on how long the players have to 'set up' before being engaged would be useful. Assuming that the random locations for the wreck are never less than 5 minutes run from a town or road sign, giving the players 2-3 minutes grace to understand their immediate terrain and adopt an initial defensive position would be nice.

The other convention would be for where Zeus places enemy units. Essentially, can we encourage placement of units that can be 'explained'? For example: starting an AI squad off in a nearby village and moving them towards the players can be explained as 'village garrison investigates smoke column'. What we might avoid are situations where the players make reasonable assumptions (e.g. towns may contain troops, mountaintops are not garrisoned by tank platoons) and are then disappointed.

Thoughts?

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I agree on both but would prefer on only encouraging it to the curators (by briefing etc.) rather than hard-coding it. There are many ways to limit the curator via the editor and scripting but I think with practice we'll be able to provide an adequate experience.

fer

Post by fer »

Agree - no need to hard code either, this is just about providing guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lietuvis10

Post by lietuvis10 »

fer wrote:I think some kind of convention on how long the players have to 'set up' before being engaged would be useful. Assuming that the random locations for the wreck are never less than 5 minutes run from a town or road sign, giving the players 2-3 minutes grace to understand their immediate terrain and adopt an initial defensive position would be nice.

The other convention would be for where Zeus places enemy units. Essentially, can we encourage placement of units that can be 'explained'? For example: starting an AI squad off in a nearby village and moving them towards the players can be explained as 'village garrison investigates smoke column'. What we might avoid are situations where the players make reasonable assumptions (e.g. towns may contain troops, mountaintops are not garrisoned by tank platoons) and are then disappointed.

Thoughts?
Thoughts: Let the Zeus do his job. He knows where he should place units. If he doesn't - that means he's a bad Zeus and you need a new one.

wolfenswan

Post by wolfenswan »

I generally like how this plays out, but I think the next version will add a CSAR group as possible "respawn". That way getting killed in the middle of nowhere isn't so frustrating and the mission can play out a bit longer. It also makes the secondary objective much more achievable.

As for ZEUS, I'll prob. set up an automatic sync between them so they can see each other's created units.

fer

Post by fer »

wolfenswan wrote:I generally like how this plays out, but I think the next version will add a CSAR group as possible "respawn".
I know pre-mount won't work because of exploding helos, but is there a way to put the CSAR troops into the THs as AI when the missions starts? That way, the THs don't have go back to collect the CSAR troops depending on who has/hasn't taken the slot. If you put 1 x FT in each TH, that should still leave enough room to get the original platoon out, right?

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Fer, all that sounds very cool and all that, but what happens when there are more people on the ground, than there are slots in the choppers?

Maybe use something like a reinforcement system?

Let's say that every person has 2 lives in the game, so you die and respawn back at base.
You wait at base, and the JIP channel in TS3, until you have 4? 8? guys ready to reinforce.
In that moment Zeus spawns a heli and off they go.

And they can probably decide between themselves who wants to be the FTL or SL and who wants to be a pilot.
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott

fer

Post by fer »

That's why I proposed only putting 1 x FT of CSAR troops in each Huron. That should still leave enough empty seats to extract 16 survivors (assuming 2 Hurons, although I have not checked the maths yet).

Whilst that only means 8 possible slots in the second wave of slots, I don't think that's a bad thing - people should still be incentivised to stay alive first time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kefirz

Post by Kefirz »

Oh, I thought there was only one Huron in the game and the other choppers were blackhawks.

But then again what happens if the said choppers go down? Zeus spawns in new ones at the base or we call it as failure?
''I am not going against tanks'' - Tryteyker, MAT gunner.
''Downboated so much, it's an u-boat now.'' - Boberro.
''Sorry, I meant hon hon hon baguette baguette Eiffel Tower'' - Mabbott