fa3_c52_bees

Help make Party-approved missions harder
Sparks

Re: fa3_c52_bees

Post by Sparks »

For the greater glory of the Party and with able assistance and advice from Comrade audiox:

It's an interesting contrast, between competent daytime and hamfisted nighttime...
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

Peasant

Post by Peasant »

Sparks,

I love this mission but, after hearing Comrade Carson's opinion of the logistics in this mission, would it be cleaner to make it more HS;LD style, or at minimum pre-equip certain people with satchels?

fer

Post by fer »

Peasant wrote:would it be cleaner to make it more HS;LD style
Can you expand on that a bit, please?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

There's a certain logic in the pre-equip with satchels, but honestly, we can fit a full FT in an MH9 and we have a dedicated helo for CO so I think our logistics fun from the last day was mostly self-imposed. Also, this can't be a HS;LD mission - with the heavy ordinance in place at the target, we *could* do a HS;LD approach (by which I'm assuming you mean landing right on top of the target and relying on speed and surprise rather than sanity and covering fire), but it'd be very very gamey and would violate lots of Folk ARPS guidelines, like the ones that say "don't blow up buildings with attack helos speculatively".

It might help future COs to put a loading note in the briefing (as in, "GET IN THE HELO YOU SPAWN BESIDE AND STOP WHINING OR COMRADE MAKAROV WILL BE ANGRY" :D ). I'd say add another one advising COs to pay attention to topographic markings in the map, but...

Honestly, after a few run-throughs, I think if anything the changes need to be more subtle. For example, change out ST1's sniper rifle for an ASP-1 or a silenced SMG. That way, they stop trying to shoot targets and start telling CO about them while trying desperately to not be seen, which is kindof more what a sniper team actually does. I mean, the biggest meanest threat in that area is the heavy vehicles and I don't care what BI say, they don't model anti-material rifles well enough to let someone take on a tigris with a cheytac :D

And maybe some more random elements. Right now, we have one or two well-known approaches that have very high chances of success; the last few runs seem to have been COs looking for other options. But no mission has an infinite number of those; they just tend to have an infinite number of ones with lower chances of success :D
guns.ie ● stochasticgeometry.ie ● weak.ie

Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse

intel64gamer

Post by intel64gamer »

In our last playthrough of the mission I was in the AH-9 and was shot at twice by an AA-Missile about 1km SW of the target bay. That means that either the no-fly-zone marker is way too small or there was a launcher where there shouldn't have been one.

The problem with the AH-9 and MH-9 is that they have no flares and are thus pretty much dead/auto rotating as soon as any SAM even looks at them. One possible solution might be to add a flare dispenser via scripting command.

Vehicle init:

Code: Select all

this addweapon "CMFlareLauncher"; this addmagazine "120Rnd_CMFlare_Chaff_Magazine";

Eagle_Eye

Post by Eagle_Eye »

IntelGamer: This can be attributed to zeus I think. There are no SAMs in the mission by default. We upped the difficulty with zeus during the last runthrough.

blip2
Host

Post by blip2 »

Eagle_Eye wrote:IntelGamer: This can be attributed to zeus I think. There are no SAMs in the mission by default. We upped the difficulty with zeus during the last runthrough.
My bad, I guess they weren't so far behind the hill as I thought! Technically the AA team were -inside- the no fly zone though :P