fa3_c58_outofthisworld

Help make Party-approved missions harder
darkChozo
Host

fa3_c58_outofthisworld

Post by darkChozo »

NATO puts on their best XCOM faces and fights some scary scary aliens. Many rookies die.

I swear the teleporters aren't supposed to teleport you there. A feedback thread might be a bit premature, but here it is anyway.

Version History:

v3
- Streamlined the objectives significantly for optimum levels of nonconfusion
- Changed VR guys from invincible killing machines to slightly better soldiers
- Readjusted difficulty towards the back end of the mission

v2
- Unbroke a little, added a cool area

v1
- Broken as shit
Last edited by darkChozo on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmishStrikeForce

Re: fa3_c58_outofthisworld

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

Pros: Really awesome premise, doesn't take itself too seriously, game length was "just right" (though we all died...if we'd lived the length might have dragged on, not sure though), good use of alternate textures for the enemy (were they CSAT with VR textures or VR guys with CSAT weapons?). All of which equals "fun."

Room For Improvement: Teleporting, of course. Remove the invincible units OR conversely make them very obvious, so we know to avoid them. I was never sure if a unit I was attacking was invincible or if I was just missing my shots. Simplify the mission objectives somehow and/or add clarity. No, I'm not sure how. :?: All I know is when I was field promoted to CO, it was tough trying to figure out quickly what objective we were specifically trying to reach and what specifically we had to do when we got there. I'm sure that when reading it in non-combat situations it probably seems fairly easy to understand, but during combat trying to figure it all out was a real challenge (and that might have been the point for all I know).

This is definitely a unique little gem! Keep polishing it :)
Also known as Spanks Masterson

AmishStrikeForce

Post by AmishStrikeForce »

This was played again (with some tweaks) this past Sunday and here's some more input. Simplification of objectives should probably happen. I would recommend either reducing the number of objectives OR simplifying them so they're in a very linear, obvious order OR split the current mission into two missions. Length of gameplay is another issue. Had folks not died and won the mission, I'm pretty sure it would have stretched past the 1.5 hour mark. Not a big deal if you're playing, but if you're in limbo... One possible way to mitigate the issue of length (besides reducing objectives or splitting the mission into two) is to simply have another wave of reinforcements, so dead players don't have to sit idly by for any great length.

All that said, this is still my favorite mission so far. :) I like it so much I want to create a cliched spinoff! But I'm restraining myself...for now...
Also known as Spanks Masterson

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Yeah, I'm thinking this one needs a moderate rework. What I'm probably going to do is make the whole thing more linear (so a mission structure that's basically teleport from A to B to C to D and then destroy a thing at D), and make the holosoldiers less of an obstacle and more of an alternate enemy type.

The mission didn't actually run that long, only about 50 minutes, and we were basically done by the time we failed it. I think it just seemed long because a lot of people died early and because the surviving players didn't really know what they were doing. Something something player psychology, basically.

GeEom
Host

Post by GeEom »

Hey DC!

This was played yesterday (v3 on 23-02-16) and was great fun!

I felt the second area was a bit sparse. Given that the team is forced to clear and search the golf balls, it would have been nice to get even 10% skill loners to put bullets into and get jump scared by. After engaging the central four or five, Bravo spent ten minutes larking about without a single contact.

You need to stick the tron soundtrack in over the cyberwarfare! Maybe End of the line?

Keep up the great work.

GeEom

audiox
Host

Post by audiox »

Got to play this yesterday. I have to say its the most stir crazy thing i've ever witnessed in an FA session, so cheers for that.

I second Geom's notion that everything is a bit sparse AI wise, at least for 24 players. Basically, my fireteam cleared out the entire first compound before everybody else came along, and the search for the teleporter dome didn't really feel too challenging.

Other than that i admire the effort that went into this.

darkChozo
Host

Post by darkChozo »

Yeahhhh, let's just say that I didn't put those helicopters in the mission. There are actually 30-40 AI in that first real base, but they were all dead by the time we got there.